Release Date - On Track ?

Holokauston said:
rmm21 said:
craigix said:
It will just come with a manual, pandora, cd and power supply.
Sounds really great but I thought the TV-out cable was also included. Either way i'll be one of the first in line for the Pandora. :D

A TV-out cable you can get at any electronics store for a few bucks :)

Can you also use GP2X one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Where will video out connect to on the unit as I've not seen any s-video or RCA-style jacks on the Pandora itself? Will it be a proprietary kind?

Edit: I saw it on some earlier pictures and it looks proprietary. No issues if it is, i was just wondering.

craigix said:
Unfortunately there will be a delay after the first 3000 units but we hope 3000 will be enough to keep most of you happy while we set up production for more!
Will these first 3000 overclock higher then the next production run? If I remember correctly the first batches of the GP2X units (mark 1's) overclocked much higher then the later mark 2 units, some mark 1's even got to over 300Mhz stable.

Hirolaser said:
Will these first 3000 overclock higher then the next production run?
The answer to that will be the same answer to "Will I win the jackpot on the lottery this week?" :)

No ones knows, it's a complete guessing game. Some might, but then again, the same could be true for the 10,000th unit.

Hirolaser said:
If I remember correctly the first batches of the GP2X units (mark 1's) overclocked much higher then the later mark 2 units, some mark 1's even got to over 300Mhz stable.
I had a very early mark 1 gp2x (before they were being sold to the public), and mine overclocks to 260Mhz max, the same as some mark 2 gp2x's.

anexanhume said:
As for the box, I would agree. I think you guys have done a great job evaluating the needs of the design and what kind of fluff can be cut out. I don't know about others, but if you included what you said in the box plus a screen cover and a pouch, I'd be happy as a hornet.
Oh yes, I also wish it would come with a screen protector. That's important for a touchscreen.

You might get a case with the dev unit, depends if they are ready. They probably will be and if there are any faults with the case you will get another one sent out at a later date, don't worry we will take good care of the dev unit people and you won't end up with a sub standard pandora in any way.

Hi!

Surely by now, some prototypes must exist... How long is it before we get updated media, real shots instead of everchanging renders ? :D

craigix said:
No one is helping to fund the project outside the people you know to be involved.

I liked the GP2X Value pack box and something like that would be nice, but we are not going to spend a lot of money making a fancy box :) that money is better spent elsewhere :) It will just come with a manual, pandora, cd and power supply.

Any possibility of seeing the Pandora Manual early in electronic form?

craigix said:
It's looking good but of course shortages or delays in parts etc. can always trip things up , the dev MK0 units are working and going out to devs now. Only when we are happy everything is working will we begin the 3000. We have always said this. We won't release something unfinished just to meet a deadline.
Heh... Any chances of one of those dev units wending my way? >:) :D

Gaidin said:
Documentation is always written last - usually by whoever draws the shortest straw. I'm kinda surprised Craig is bothering with anything more than a Post-it with the forum URL scribbled on it. As fast as UI and application development is going to move once these start shipping, any instructions on the software side will be obsolete within hours of being printed.

Besides, nobody actually reads the fracking manual.

Chip said:
Gaidin said:
Documentation is always written last - usually by whoever draws the shortest straw. I'm kinda surprised Craig is bothering with anything more than a Post-it with the forum URL scribbled on it. As fast as UI and application development is going to move once these start shipping, any instructions on the software side will be obsolete within hours of being printed.

Besides, nobody actually reads the fracking manual.

Haha I would actually laugh if there really was just a post it, pref. handwritten with the URL on it

Well Manual could include stuff like detailed specifications, licenses, disclaimers and a rudimentary howto get started, know it might be useless to 99% of everyone buying it but for 1% it might be a godsend ;P

Sphinxter said:
I prefer it the opposite way, write the documentation then make it true.
I prefer a combination of both.

I write out what I want, make it, and then rewrite it without everything I was too lazy to implement.

Holokauston said:
Well Manual could include stuff like detailed specifications, licenses, disclaimers and a rudimentary howto get started, know it might be useless to 99% of everyone buying it but for 1% it might be a godsend ;P
I would hope that all that will be on the wiki by the time regular shipping starts. I know I'll continue updating specs and whatnot as the information solidifies. I would also hope that as the devs do their thing over the next few months they will occasionally post updates here that we can turn into instructions and tutorials. Licenses and disclaimers might need to be included on actual paper for legal reasons, but if it takes up more than a 3x5 scrap, then somebody is being overly cautious.

Not to sound like a hippy, but do we really need to waste paper on a manual that will be easily available (and more current) online and that most users will never read?

craigix said:
You might get a case with the dev unit, depends if they are ready. They probably will be and if there are any faults with the case you will get another one sent out at a later date, don't worry we will take good care of the dev unit people and you won't end up with a sub standard pandora in any way.
Thank you. I plan to order a dev unit and start developing.

Edit:

and hacking and testing and having fun

Back