Release Date

oryhara

Still Fresh
I hate making release date threads, because it makes me look like an impatient little bastard, but I think that perhaps with this system my impatience may be justified (Quake 3... portable... wifi... *Drools*...). Especially considering it's so damn hard to find news of the XGP, at least that's in english. So, does anyody here have any idea if and when any of the three XGPs are scheduled to be released?

GP said the XGP Kids will be released around...very soon. But it will probably be delayed because they still have lots of problems to deal with it. They also said the XGP and XGP Mini will be released in early 2007, but of course that means mid 2007. And just to clarify, GP did NOT go to E3 to find investors, so they most likely won't become vaporware (especially since they had working demos of them at E3).

And on a completely unrelated note that I don't feel like making a new thread for, seeing as Quake 3 is supposed to be a title for the XGP, it should be possible to port the half-life engine to the thing, no?

JaqMs posted on Aug 19 2006 at 05:13 PM said:
No source, feel remorse.
They could go through valve (the developers)... it could happen... maybe...

A man can dream now can't he? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix posted on Aug 19 2006 at 07:38 PM said:
I've heard quake3 does not run very well, however quake and maybe quake2 should be awesome on it.
How powerful do you think it will be against the psp?

craigix posted on Aug 19 2006 at 02:38 PM said:
I've heard quake3 does not run very well, however quake and maybe quake2 should be awesome on it.
I'd be suprised if it did run very well, IIRC wasn't Q3 a big RAM hog?

The XGP/XGPM have enough GPU horsepower to handle Quake 3 acceptably with some tweaks and some sacrifices. e.g. you might need to run it with a resolution of 160x120 and scale it up! 320x240 might be OK, but that's still a LOT of polys to fill, and you do have a RAM bottleneck since there is NO dedicated video memory on the machines. A big factor is that Quake 3's engine is almost entirely floating point math. If they don't use an integer/fixed-point optimized version of the engine, like we use for Q1 on the GP2X, none of them will run correctly.

That said Quake 3 is never going to run as well as Quake 1/2 on the machine. As for Half-Life I don't think it'll ever be ported since it's not open-source. iD is very good about making their engine source and game source free to the public, but Valve doesn't follow the same principles. I believe Unreal Tournament might be made to run though.

Personally I hope they release it whenever it's ready-- ready, tested, with all necessary changes and improvements made .. not trying to meet some overambitious deadline. I sent them a LOT of suggestions for improving XGP/XGPM and they seem very repective; I do hope they take them.

Goity posted on Aug 19 2006 at 01:54 PM said:
How powerful do you think it will be against the psp?

The CPU's about as powerful with a small overclock. I don't have exact specs on the GPU but it should meet the PSP's GPU capabilities.

JaqMs posted on Aug 19 2006 at 06:03 PM said:
GP said the XGP Kids will be released around...very soon. But it will probably be delayed because they still have lots of problems to deal with it. They also said the XGP and XGP Mini will be released in early 2007, but of course that means mid 2007. And just to clarify, GP did NOT go to E3 to find investors, so they most likely won't become vaporware (especially since they had working demos of them at E3).

The spec's sound good for a handheld of today, but if the XGP is not coming out untill next year im sure the will be more powerful handhelds to compete with the XGP

Back