Reordering Decision

Since Pandora team is willing to discount the bank fee from the Pandora price - are you going to pay

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no - because CC provides transaction insurance

• no - in fact I would like to, but I can't due to my bank account limitations

• Not applicable (e.g. cancelled order)

• I already paid, I don't care that my fee wasn't discounted and I want Craig's signature on my case!

• I already paid, and I want my discount back.

• Total voters

TaG said:
Gruso said:
That Xoom site looks like the absolute business. With CC security at one end and a bank deposit at the other, it's the best of both worlds and could see this whole situation fixed quickly.

You could be right, but I doubt there is any "CC security" - my understanding of these services is that it is like withdrawing cash from your card and sending it. I could be totally wrong here.
That is correct, there would be no security against anything on Open Pandora's end - your transaction is with Xoom, once they've paid the transfer on your behalf there ends their liability. Your card protection would be for the transaction between you and Xoom, not the third party.

Last edited by a moderator:
Asmo said:
TaG said:
Gruso said:
That Xoom site looks like the absolute business. With CC security at one end and a bank deposit at the other, it's the best of both worlds and could see this whole situation fixed quickly.

You could be right, but I doubt there is any "CC security" - my understanding of these services is that it is like withdrawing cash from your card and sending it. I could be totally wrong here.
That is correct, there would be no security against anything on Open Pandora's end - your transaction is with Xoom, once they've paid the transfer on your behalf there ends their liability. Your card protection would be for the transaction between you and Xoom, not the third party.

The site does say there might be fees from your credit card company for withdrawing cash or something like that at the last step, so that might be how it works. I didn't notice one from my balance though.

Xoom does look good. It could be a nice solution, I know some people have already done this so let's see what we get at the other end before people flood it. If it all works OK I'll make a post about it.

While I do have faith in the pandora team, lets be honest, the average person is going to think,

A. The credit crunch is making even established businesses go under left right and centre.
B. Pandora is a new business which seems to be having difficulty.

Asking for people to transfer money without the knowledge they can get it back is never going to be a popular choice.

It does speak volumes fort he community that a 1000 people have already taken the plunge though.

@c0nsum3r said:
So, Xoom is the way to go for people in the US over paypal now yes?
Well, a few people are sending money through it now. The plan is to wait and see what happens with those frontier folks, and if Indians don't attack and freeze funds or whatever, the rest can go.

The other big question is does the credit card transfer count as a 'cash withdrawl' like using your credit card at an atm or to get cash directly from it? If so, then it could result in big rates and fees from the card issuer. (Usually a percentage of the withdrawl, and then a much higher interest rate).

Can anyone confirm or clarify this? How the transaction is treated by the credit card issue, and how they see the withdrawl. Is it a 'charge' or is it a 'cash withdrawl?'

Credit card charges are nearly always a percentage, so to have what people are describing as a flat fee of $15 sounds like it could be treated as a cash withdrawal. If anyone that has used this service has online access to their account it would be good if they could check what gets charged to their account and report back.

It says its like a cash withdrawal at the final step before you submit it and that your credit card company may charge you a fee. Mine didn't, it depends on your card I suppose. May want to check up on your cards terms of service, or just give them a call to make sure.

It's probably what's known as a "cash advance". On my VISA it's a $3.70 charge, but it's different on every card and could be more or less.

@c0nsum3r said:
So, Xoom is the way to go for people in the US over paypal now yes?
Maybe. As both Craig and I said in our posts, lets wait and see how it works out.

GunPei2X said:
It's probably what's known as a "cash advance". On my VISA it's a $3.70 charge, but it's different on every card and could be more or less.
I checked mine again, looks like I got charged about $5 for the cash advance thing. Not a big deal really, though thats about $20 total fees not including the exchange rate jiggery pokery.

Brockway said:
GunPei2X said:
I checked mine again, looks like I got charged about $5 for the cash advance thing. Not a big deal really, though thats about $20 total fees not including the exchange rate jiggery pokery.

So, looks like my $30 wire transfer fee wasn't as bad as I thought.
It took 5 minutes at the bank, by the way. Just handed them the refund/reorder email from Open Pandora Ltd. and they filled in the info.

j.pickens said:
Brockway said:
GunPei2X said:

So, looks like my $30 wire transfer fee wasn't as bad as I thought.
It took 5 minutes at the bank, by the way. Just handed them the refund/reorder email from Open Pandora Ltd. and they filled in the info.

If that $30 allowed you to pay by credit card. Would have been something like $10-$15 had I used my bank account though instead of credit card.

Back