Replacement/colored Gp32 Cases

Hi guys,

I will try to answer as many questions as possible.

The prices have not been set. I won't know this until I have made a large quantity. Only then will I be able to calculate an accurate average cost of materials.

I will be offering induvidial peices as well as entire kits. It will be entirely possible to mix and match different colored parts. Say you wanted a bright red GP32 with black buttons.

The colored cases will be solidly molded so the color will not wear off and there should be metallic versions too (Chrome may also be possible). Transparent cases are completely possible, but not without the purchase of additional equipment, so the success of the initial batch will determine whether these get made.

The process of making these molds isn't a secret (information is available all over the internet). However it is complex and costs quite a bit. It would not be financially viable to make a one off case for yourself as the mold-making process would run into hundreds of dollars. Making bulk quantities is the only way to make it worth while.

When it comes to the range of colors, I should be able to make them to order. Most colors could be mixed from resin dyes, and more difficult colors could be acheived with a high quality spray paint job over the surface of a closely matched base.

Custom paint jobs such as those requested are also possible, but they would cost a huge amount of money. They would take about 48 hours to make since I would have to hand paint each one. However, transfers are something I have as yet not looked into.

would it be possibe to make a case like in lethe's or my sig, but using the rockman x7 picture i posted above?

i would also be willing to pay up 2 $100 dollars if it is possible to make the rmx7 case. also i woulnt mind a normal clear case, then i could put leds in it :D

edit: ignore the rmx7 part.

V3X posted on Aug 31 2004 at 01:43 PM said:
would it be possibe to make a case like in lethe's or my sig, but using the rockman x7 picture i posted above?
Did you actually read his last post?

Last edited by a moderator:
Daz_Genetic posted on Aug 31 2004 at 10:13 PM said:
Hi guys,

The colored cases will be solidly molded so the color will not wear off and there should be metallic versions too (Chrome may also be possible). Transparent cases are completely possible, but not without the purchase of additional equipment, so the success of the initial batch will determine whether these get made.

my bad. i didnt read it correctly. was that the part u were refering to?

Daz_Genetic posted on Aug 31 2004 at 01:13 PM said:
Custom paint jobs such as those requested are also possible, but they would cost a huge amount of money. They would take about 48 hours to make since I would have to hand paint each one. However, transfers are something I have as yet not looked into.
More along the lines of this.

The process of making these molds isn't a secret (information is available all over the internet). However it is complex and costs quite a bit. It would not be financially viable to make a one off case for yourself as the mold-making process would run into hundreds of dollars. Making bulk quantities is the only way to make it worth while.

Ok thanks. I know that but i just wanted to know what process you will use.

Maybe have you got a link ? thanks :)

falken80 posted on Aug 31 2004 at 01:05 PM said:
Ok thanks. I know that but i just wanted to know what process you will use.

Maybe have you got a link ? thanks :)

No problem. I am using Alumilte products to create the molds, and will be casting using Alumilite resin and dyes (Though I will also be experimenting with other products for durability). All the equipment I purchased was bought from eastnorritonhobby.com I really don't know if I will use them again as they messed up my order a number of times before I finally got the stuff. They did offer a good discount on my next order to make up for it, but I don't know if that can make up for the bullshit they put me through. I would probably already be selling the cases if it wasn't for them.

I was just thinking, will these be compatible with the BLU? Isn't the screen on it stuck to the cover in some way?

very cool idea i would definetly be buying one if they are the same durability as original.

About the resin you are using how durable is it because i remeber something when i was into the portable scene of a guy using resin to make a case but it was very brittle :blink: although i think he was using amateurish techniques.

E.T.A? ;)

falken80 posted on Aug 31 2004 at 02:45 PM said:
What kit have you got ?
http://www.eastnorritonhobby.com/store/com...ynamicIndex.asp
Super Casting Kit or other ?

I mixed and matched induvidual bottles. The super casting kit only has enough rubber to make one half of a mold, so it is useless for the entire case. You will need to buy a number of pounds of mold making rubber seperately. This will run into multiple hundreds for the entire GP32 casing.

OmarNawaz posted on Aug 31 2004 at 02:59 PM said:
very cool idea i would definetly be buying one if they are the same durability as original.

About the resin you are using how durable is it because i remeber something when i was into the portable scene of a guy using resin to make a case but it was very brittle :blink: although i think he was using amateurish techniques.

Basically, I refuse to sell inferior products, so if I am unable to match the durability of the original, I won't be selling them. Simple as that really.

Daz_Genetic posted on Aug 31 2004 at 05:00 AM said:
Enslaved posted on Aug 31 2004 at 03:51 AM said:
How's your Voxel engine thing going too?

Unfortunately programming is one area of my life that has had to suffer because of other responsibilities. One of these days, I will package up the code and post it here on the forums. Perhaps someone will be able to take it further than I could.

That doesn't mean I won't ever get back to it, but with me currently putting my efforts into my portfolio while I look for more work, that is something I don't see happening soon.. But stranger things have happened, so don't take my word on that. :)

yes! I wait for that!
just add some boobs to your case and they will sell like .... ;)

Back