Repo : Adding Videos on Top of just Screens ?

Hmmmm... ost people that release software for Pandora test on desktop/laptop PC first. It would be trivial to set the window-size to same dimensions of Pandora screen and do video capture on the PC to make the video...

The main problem with having video on the repo is the flash player is not so hot - so only 240p videos would really be supported. It could probably be done with HTML5 instead? depending on codec support.

Also I agree that the video should probably not be included in the PND spec... Imagine someone improves the video used for a PND and then they have to upload a modified PND just to update the video link...

I am not really sure what the concern is. If you spend like 100 hours developing a software, you don't have 30 mins to make a video out of it (30 mins including editing time for a very short video). What's the negative anyway ?

Making a video is a completely different task from developing software. For one, video editing is not easy for someone who is not used to video editing software (as an example, all I personally know how to do is make cuts and put images in in PiTiVi and Windows Movie Maker). Another thing is not everyone knows how to record from speaker output (I myself don't know how to do that on GNU/Linux). Then there's the question of how long it takes to upload said video; for someone like me who has a relatively slow (by today's standards) DSL connection, an HD video takes several hours, possibly days, to upload.

That's not even talking about how the heck you're supposed to record directly from the Pandora; you'd need a TV-out cable for that unless you want the game to look slow and choppy, and that's only any good with a DVD recorder, which I personally don't have (not sure how many others are in the same boat).

It's perfectly fine to use an external camera, with a small tripod, in a properly lit environment and the right focus on the Pandora screen (which is something must people cannot seem to be able to grasp). It takes a few minutes to setup and once you are done, it's easy to film your game/app and all. Seriously, programming is way more difficult than handling a video camera :)

First off, we software developers don't have a general habit of spending loads of cash on great cameras and other video equipment, nor are we professionals when it comes to lighting. Look at my Pandora review, I did the best I could for lighting: turning on the light in my room, which you can see a reflection of on the screen. Talking about cameras, I personally have a simple one which doesn't have any sort of manual or automatic focus for video, except for a one-time autofocus when the video starts.

Second, it is not easy to film in this manner. You either need to look through the viewfinder (which will make it extremely difficult to play your game) or strain your back to look over the camera (which can easily make you move the Pandora out of the way of the camera). Plus, you need to be in a no-noise environment, which we non-video producers tend to not have.

Second, it is not easy to film in this manner. You either need to look through the viewfinder (which will make it extremely difficult to play your game) or strain your back to look over the camera (which can easily make you move the Pandora out of the way of the camera). Plus, you need to be in a no-noise environment, which we non-video producers tend to not have.

You shouldnt play your game when you are recording. It's making your video unusable/uncontrollable this way. The only way to do it is to previously play your game and have a script in your game to register your moves and then have a "ghost" mode in your game to replay your moves when you want to record. That's something you usually saw in tons on 8-16 bits games before which started with a demo mode after the main screen if you did not press any button.

No-noise environment : not necessarily. nothing prevents you from recording the sound through the headphones port : there are tons of very cheap recording devices to do that, with very decent quality (enough for a video).

And there's no need for a HD video... why would you record in HD while you game runs in 800*480 in the first place? Even recording in 640*480 would be good enough to give a proper look at your app/game.

ANyway, coming back to my point, I'd like to have it as an option. I am not asking everyone else to do it.

Back