Rething The Design

someboddy

Still Fresh
Yea, I know it's a bit too late, but I have some design changes I think Craig&co should seriously consider. I will greatly appreciate it if you forgive my poor drawing skills - I've just drew the component leaving out the LEDS(as one more LED or one less LED doesn't really matter). I've also use the PS button layout since I really like it and there isn't a final layout yet(or there is and I missed it).

First, the keyboard. True, this had been said before, but some people didn't agree so it should be said over and over again - an on screen keyboard is just as good as a keys-made keyboard, and can really lower down the price of the whole thing. The keyboard should definitely go!
60525775qf8.png

Now, there isn't really any need for 3 menu keys. The whole point of a menu is being able to access all features from a single screen - the menu. Therefore, we can remove "start" and "menu" and use "select" for all are menu needs.
94537195ks1.png

The right analog stick is pretty much useless. The N64 have only one analog stick, and the PS, while having two analog sticks, use them so rarely that some of the unofficial controllers don't even have them. Even the games that do use them only use the left stick - and it has exactly the same function as the D-Pad - only it's analog. We can safely leave out the right stick.
21642035vo0.png

You have a D-Pad and a analog stick. What would you prefer to use? I know I would prefer the stick - it's superior to the D-Pad in every possible aspect. The D-Pad goes, and ofcourse the analog stick takes it's place for easier finger access.
77984344fs8.png

What can you do with an analog stick? you can push it up, you can pull it down, you can swing it to the left and to the right and you can press-click on it. You don't really need an expensive mechanism for that - simple buttons will suffice. We can even shape them in a cool circle pattern.
12226354bh2.png

The problem with the clamshell design is that it makes it very hard to use the touchscreen. Yes, I know the DS has a clamshell design as well, but there the touchscreen is on the lower part. Since we don't want to make a DS ripoff, we should just make the Pandora flat. It will make it extremely hard to use the triggers so we should just leave them off. It's a small price to pay for having a much more comfortable access to the touchscreen.
93438622po8.png

Since we are using the touchscreen with one hand, we will only have one hand to the circle-that-used-to-be-the-analog-stick and the buttons. We should place them together so they can all be accessed easily with the same finger.
83220642jd4.png

Hey, I've just noticed something - why the heck do we need two "select" buttons? That would be really stupid to have two buttons that do the same thing, won't it?
29211957ln5.png

Using the speakers will just make people shout at you. We should remove them to encourage people to not be egocentric jerks and use their headphones.
51444135ta6.png

Some people might not agree, but I think the screen is waaay to big. If we shrink it down, we can increase battery life and at the same time make our machine so much smaller.
10zs7.png

There you have it - the Pandora, the ultimate MP3/MP4 player with 2 SD ports and bluetooth interface. That should be one sweet device...

I am going to reply to this idea as if it is a perfectly sane one.
an on screen keyboard is just as good as a keys-made keyboard,

No, you are so very wrong. How is a virtual keyboard ever going to be easier are more comfortable and more easy to implement than a real tactile one?

Now, there isn't really any need for 3 menu keys.

Fine, that is your opinion, but why would you want to bring a menu up in-game and select and option just so you can cast your *super - mana sicko blast*, or to bring up the actual game menu ? Why not have a dedicated button for each?

I know I would prefer the stick - it's superior to the D-Pad in every possible aspect.

Mmmm... you say that, but you then turn it into what is pretty much a d-pad in your next few lines

What can you do with an analog stick? you can push it up, you can pull it down, you can swing it to the left and to the right and you can press-click on it. You don't really need an expensive mechanism for that - simple buttons will suffice. We can even shape them in a cool circle pattern.

You have just turned your analouge stick, which is 'superior to the D-Pad in every possible aspect' into an actual d-pad (which, by the way. looks rather shitty).

Will someone please stick this in the lol files!

Have you ever seen such a load of crap in your entire life!

This is a joke, right? ..............................RIGHT!!!

I... I'm assuming this is a joke, right? If so, LMAO. If not, well, LMAO even more.

x68000 said:
lol, I'm starting to think that.... if that is the case, sorry for my serious answer, and nice joke, mate :p

Last edited by a moderator:
it did bring up one good idea-the analog stick should have the dpad buttons around it, giving us more space, imho.

waffles said:
it did bring up one good idea-the analog stick should have the dpad buttons around it, giving us more space, imho.
Don't think that's quite what he meant :D he replaced the stick with the d-pad

x68000 said:
Will someone please stick this in the lol files!

Have you ever seen such a load of crap in your entire life!

Seconded.. :lol:

I sure hope those drawings are jokes. The Pandora's final design has already been thought up and is set in stone.

Ofcourse it's a bloody joke! If I was serious the thing would have a D-Pad, a start button and 4 buttons labeled A,B,C and D lay out in a row, and it would boot KoF2001.

Never i repeat NEVER put the sony style buttons on a mock up ever again. What was so bad with ABXY that sony had to go and change it to that ugly mock up. For example if your a noob and are trying to learn a racing game isn't it easier to say A goes forward and B goes back for preaty much every game. Not triangle or square. And by the way don't get me started on the 1234 buttom scheme that is even worse.

-Brandon

You know, if the device had a smaller case, we could really cut production costs. How about we just wrap it in Saran wrap? Oh, and if we get rid of the screen, it would be WAY cheaper! Now THIS is a device I would buy! :lol:

Back