Revolution To Not Support Hd

shinneri

Certified Guru
Website
www.gpnewbie.com
Source: http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=6332

First they removed component video support from the GameCube; now Nintendo has confirmed that the Revolution will not be supporting high definition video outputs, such as 1080i and 1080p. Sony and Microsoft have already announced support for such formats with their respective next-gen consoles.

Nintendo of America supplied the following comment on this issue:

"There currently are no plans for Nintendo Revolution to support high-definition video output. We have thoroughly considered the best means of video output for the system and are dedicated to delivering the best hardware possible to meet the demands of our consumers. Please stay tuned for more details on Nintendo Revolution to be revealed soon."
-- Perrin Kaplan, VP, Marketing & Corporate Affairs, Nintendo of America

At this point, it remains unclear what resolutions Nintendo considers to be high definition. For instance, the 480p format is not enabled on most older television sets, but since it is only a progressive-scan version of the standard 480 line resolution, it is often not considered to be "high definition". Since GameCube supports 480p output (although new hardware units do not included the required interface), Nintendo may support at least that format with the Revolution. This possibility is further bolstered by the fact that the Revolution prototypes at E3 2005 featured an output jack that looked exactly like the now-removed "digital output" jack on the GameCube.

This is crazy. How can it be revolutionary if it's being held back by old tech? That $100 price point better hold true or this thing just got a heck of a lot less appealing.

why should it need a hdd? i see no problem, sorry.
and btw, nintendo exchanges component-less gamecubes for free with ones with component out.

so? do you think a game needs to be in soem crazy high res to look good? i dont think so.
hey, and when it is a hud and conencts to your brain you dont need hd!

The question is, which of you actually OWNS an HDTV? I'm betting, for a majority of us here, this little fact probably doesn't matter. Though I can't disagree with anyone who points it out as a mistake on Nintendo's part.

If you DO, then it is a VERY valid argument, I think. I'm planning on buying an HDTV sometime in the next year or so. I would definatley want it to support the features of the latest TV's, and yes, games in high res DO look much better than standard TV resolution. Additionally, many games are well suited to wide screen.

On the other hand, I do like that Nintendo is trying as hard as they can, obviously, to cut costs so that they can offer this system for the absolute [ spam ] possible. That will make it less painful for me to buy one when it inevitably comes out right around the same time as the (predicted to be $400-500... OUCH) PS3. I can't argue with that :D

It's not a big deal right now, but it will be. A game system has a life of about 5 years, and I am certain that HD will be much more prominent by about the middle of the generation. Further, I plan to own one in a year or so, so this is very important to me since the Rev won't even be out in by then probably.

Bad move on Nintendo's part.

yeah, i agree. HD will be a big issue soon! sure development costs will be reduced with ninty's plan, but this is a very important feature.

i don't know, though...it seems like they're not targeting the same croud that sony and ms are after. it certainly will suck playing the revolution on your hdtv, like any SD signal.

Junker - agreed, Nintendo seem to be going in some odd direction all their own, seemingly deciding that it's not worth trying to compete with Sony, or to try to cater to hardcore gamers. They've done this with the DS (which seems to be working) and now with the Rev. It's almost like a back to roots/simpler is better/appropriate for everyone/entry level approach kinda thing :D dont know what other way to put it. I've been thinking more and more on the current games out for the DS... how most of them are so very simple, technically, and from a gameplay standpoint. Simple in a way that most anyone could probably pick up an play instantly... games like Wario and Zookeeper. These games hardly impress, and yet they are still very enjoyable. I think Nintendo just might have a good idea here, trying to keep it simple and trying to make their games more accessible to everyone. Easy to get into games and a cheap price tag could very well make the Revolution really take off in sales.

I think its a wise decision

They are set to release higher than high def in a mere 2 years

Imagine the time and cost it takes to develop a game in High Def when only a small percentage of your audience will be able to use it

They may have developed some uber anti aliasing for those wit hhigh def anyways

Finally, the target market for the Rev is the casual user who likes playing games

The people that are aware if high def will likely buy a PS3 anyway because they aretech freaks

good choice I would think I don't work (only 16 time to get one tho) and my parents will probably be buying em the system for christmas would not want to buy me a hi-def TV too

so I think they are making the smart choice for all teh average people who game that don't have the extra money to fork over to buy a system and a decent Hi-def TV

next question, when did you buy your last tv, how big is it, and would you like to spend 500$ again just for a betetr res?

HD is not as good as made out.
If you care about Graphics then get a ps3

It's the playing not the watching that makes a good game.

gp32 owners should know that.

sonic 2 is better than sonic 3d.

next question, when did you buy your last tv, how big is it, and would you like to spend 500$ again just for a betetr res?
umm... 5+ years ago.... 19 in, I would like to get an HDTV if my parents would get digital Cable that has HD and my parents wouldn't be willing to fork over $500 for a HDTV

we just bought a horse for $2000(I think) and the horse was a barging too because it should be wroth alot more becuase it's related to Alidar who is a famouse race horse

EDIT: yeah I know that it's jsut a good thing NinRev won't support that becasue I don't really have money to buy a HDTV jsut for gaming ;)

plus I think the GBC still looks awesome and SNES

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know. I'd rather pay a little bit more than have a consoles that's technology was cool back in the 90's. You only buy a console once, and then you're stuck the features (or lack thereof) forever.

Back