Rockbox Controls Help, Please?

Kumaki

I put two Bon Jovi songs on Rockbox, just for shiggles to see how it worked.

It took .OGG music files, which tripped me out. Wasn't expecting that. Most of my files are .MP3

Nevertheless, I just put the files in there, and guess what it did?

It knew the Song title, Artist, and Album. No extra files/folders needed, like my old Sandisk.

I still need to figure out the controls on Rockbox - it might be helpful if whoever did this awesome app were to provide some documentation about controls, but I saw none.

It seems once you're listening to music, the only way to adjust controls is to kill the app and re-start....I can't get back to the controls menu. When I do...by pressing the C button...the menu comes up, and does not respond to the d-pad or anything...so you can do nothing with the menu. And you gotta press all kinds of buttons then to make it go back away.

Of course, the volume can be controlled with the volume wheel...and I figured out how to rewind, fast forward and skip tracks while playing...but, beyond that...I'm clueless on the controls. But it's definitely a nice app.

Anyone with more experience with Rockbox who can address the controls for me, would be much appreciated.

I use rockbox for music on my pandora - I use the dpad to navigate, and the l/r shoulders to skip tracks.

D.

I use rockbox for music on my pandora - I use the dpad to navigate, and the l/r shoulders to skip tracks.

D.

That's what I was doing!!

But I could not figure out how to make a track repeat if I wanted, etc.

All I could do was fast forward, rewind, skip tracks backward or forward, and pause/play. and of course control the volume with the volume wheel.

It never even occurred to me to try touchscreen...LOL

D.

Navigation does not work to go backward to the menu once you play a song, though. It only works when you are in the "tree" of the directory.

Enter to play/pause. C to go back to the menu.

D.

That was my problem. C would go back to the menu...but then it would not respond to any controls. It would be stuck, and I could see the menu but make no selections from it. It still does.

But when I touchscreen, and touch on the C I get the menu - and it responds. Too weird.

But a nice player. Gonna have to play around with a few controls, just to see what it can do...like some of the display options.

Can anyone here tell me what some of the options look like...screenshots maybe??

Press "c" a second time and u have control ;-)

Works on my Pandora; I use Rockbox frequently now

Although it would be good if the 2 other controls - going to the file tree directly and "q" for changing the replay options - worked.

So far I can only jump back into the main menu with 2x"c".

...still I love Rockbox, love it on my Sansa Clip and love it now on my Pandora!!

Lol, I ended up getting rid of Rockbox, and went to Audacious.

Once I figured out how to set up playlists on audacious...it just seemed a better, more user-friendly program.

The only thing audacious seems to be missing is a true "Pause" button.

what happens now is...you press C or Enter...either one will pause. But then to start up again, you have to press Enter...and it starts back at the beginning of the song. You CAN use touchscreen for a true pause...but not the button shortcuts.

I have a similar Problem with audacious.When i use "C" or the pause Button to pause the playback i cant resume, either with C or the Button.I have to start the track from the beginning.

I have installed Rockbox on my Sandisk Sansa Fuze. It makes perfect use of the Buttons. But sadly i cant say that about the pandora port.For me the button layout make not much sense.

I have a similar Problem with audacious.When i use "C" or the pause Button to pause the playback i cant resume, either with C or the Button.I have to start the track from the beginning.

I have installed Rockbox on my Sandisk Sansa Fuze. It makes perfect use of the Buttons. But sadly i cant say that about the pandora port.For me the button layout make not much sense.

Oh GOD I hated my Sandisk Sansa Fuze!!

I still have it and never use it...in fact it's loaded with 80's music and I'll sell it to anyone who wants it.

I have a zune and am much happier with that. The controls on the Fuze....I could never really make them do what I wanted...I guess I'm too old for the kind of controls the Fuze has, I can't make them work. The Zune at least has touchscreen and a REAL BUTTON to get you back to main menu.

But I haven't used my Zune which is also loaded with music...recently. I take my Pandora and use Audacious - and run t thru my car speakers...works terrific. In fact, once, in a severely bad traffic jam (the Stroudsburg Marathon had traffic at a standstill for about half an hour) - I decided to aggressively show my displeasure at being tied up in traffic for it...I opened up PanMAME and started playing Pac-Man, full blast, thru my car speakers. Let's just say I got more than a few looks...hee hee hee.

But I digress. Re: Audacious pause...yeah, it's a problem. I seem to be able to re-start where I left off if I use the touchscreen button exclusively. But if I pause using C or Enter...yeah, then you have to start at the beginning of the track. In fact...when you do that...then the touchscreen button won't re-start the song at all, and you have to use the Enter button to re-start. and of course, at the beginning of the track.

This is an issue which really should be addressed with Audacious. But since setting up the playlists turned out to be far easier in Audacious than in Rockbox...I went the way of Audacious.

Also have a Sansa Fuze, and it's bloody brilliant - sound output quality easily rivals the Pandora. Not had a problem with the controls at all, I tend to use them from inside my pocket. It's a lot smaller than a Pandora too, so it's great for dropping in my pocket when I walk the dog or somesuch where the Pandora would be far too bulky to drag along.

D.

I have Rockbox installed on my Android Smartphone, Sansa Fuze and my Pandora. The Fuze has the best control concept in my opinion. I wouldn't call intuitive, but once understood and memorized it's a solid input scheme. After installation of Rockbox on my Fuze i haven't used the original firmware a single Time. I like Rockbox especially because it's able to play Chiptune Music and Midi Files. But that drains the battery of the Fuze rapidly. The Pandora has a Big battery and would be perfect but the control concept is weird.

Also have a Sansa Fuze, and it's bloody brilliant - sound output quality easily rivals the Pandora. Not had a problem with the controls at all, I tend to use them from inside my pocket. It's a lot smaller than a Pandora too, so it's great for dropping in my pocket when I walk the dog or somesuch where the Pandora would be far too bulky to drag along.

D.

I just never could make the touch controls on the Sansa Fuze do what I wanted them to. I had to struggle and fight to get back to main menu and whatnot. So I went and bought myself a Zune. This was about two years ago.

Like I said, my Sansa Fuze, loaded with 80's music...is up for sale to anyone who wants it...I sure as hell am never gonna use it. I really just could not manage the controls.

D.

I just never could make the touch controls on the Sansa Fuze do what I wanted them to. I had to struggle and fight to get back to main menu and whatnot. So I went and bought myself a Zune. This was about two years ago.

Like I said, my Sansa Fuze, loaded with 80's music...is up for sale to anyone who wants it...I sure as hell am never gonna use it. I really just could not manage the controls.

What touch controls? The Fuze doesn't have any - they're all mechanical. That's why they're superior.

D.

I think he meant the "new" modell, the Sanza Fuze plus.

It has a touch sensitive surface under the screeen.

As far as i know there is a unstable Roxbox port available.

D.

What touch controls? The Fuze doesn't have any - they're all mechanical. That's why they're superior.

D.

Not the freaking one I have. I might be a Fuze + I am not sure. I know it has HORRIBLE controls, at least as far as I am concerned they are horrible, because I can't make them work for shit.

The device I have is a Sandisk, and I remember Fuze...but it might be Fuze +. But there NO real buttons on the bitch...just a four-way control that SUPPOSEDLY works when you run your thumb over it...and you have to hold your thumb in center to go back to main menu...the problem is...the controls do not respond properly, or at least I can't make them respond properly.

Like I said, I still have the piece of shit, and it's loaded with good 80's music, and it is for sale to anyone who wants it who can make the damned controls work, because I can't.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he meant the "new" modell, the Sanza Fuze plus.

It has a touch sensitive surface under the screeen.

As far as i know there is a unstable Roxbox port available.

Yup. that's the one I mean...the one with the touch-sensitive surface under the screen. Touch-sensitive my left clavicle...it SUCKS. I guess that is the Fuze + that I have, then. all the same if anyone likes that model, and can make it work...I got one loaded with 80's music and it's for sale, because I hate the damn thing.

By the way, I am actually a "she." I know...usually on boards like this, techie stuff, gamer stuff...everyone assumes "he" since most gamers are. But I'm a girl gamer.

Anyway...I tried for about two weeks with the thing (The Sansa Fuze +), and could not make the controls respond as I wanted them to, and so I gave up and got me a Zune.

Now, with the Pandora, two years later...the Zune is almost no longer needed, because I can play the music off Audacious, and pipe it in thru my car speakers...so not needing the Zune much, though I am gonna hang onto it for a while, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back