Release Run java and j2me ?

fbiggod

Still Fresh
Run java and j2me ?
Running java games for mobile run already created it, this also attract many new developers.

ertert7897337.jpg

I am also interested to see java & j2me at Pandora.
Please, give us some (un)official data about it. Anybody?

Wasn't there a thread exactly like this on gp32x?

Well, OK: We will have a full Java SE virtual machine, so no need to worry about that.
Something that might not work out-of-the-box are 3D-libraries; those will need porting.

Seems like the guy might have been sent to GP32x since he never responded back here since march. So we will have some form of 2D Cellphone java game emulator? cool.

Alpha2 said:
Seems like the guy might have been sent to GP32x since he never responded back here since march. So we will have some form of 2D Cellphone java game emulator? cool.
What is there to emulate? Java is cross-platform, remember? Just throw the Java ME-libraries on there and done.

Alpha2 said:
Ah I see, I aways thought there was a little more to it since not all games work on all phones.

j2me is a modular standard, phones can include just certain subsets of it if their hardware isn't able to support everything. Additionally, certain phone makers include proprietary libreries to support advanced features that aren't still supported by standard j2me.

There is a free j2me implementation called midpath; I suppose that's the one that will be available on pandora, and it can be easily tested on a (linux?) pc for compatibility.

Alpha2 said:
Ah I see, I aways thought there was a little more to it since not all games work on all phones.

There is, but the "not all games work on all phones" is more due to inconsistencies in the J2ME implementations and API availability.
J2SE will be available and I'm suspecting the J2ME wedge will work for us in that case as long as you're not talking any of the
3D titles. Depending on how they did their 3D title, you may/may not be able to get them to work out of box. Unless the game
uses it's own ES version of something like jwgl, you're going to have to adjust the J2SE Java3D api to work properly with ES.

Svartalf said:
Unless the game uses it's own ES version of something like jwgl, you're going to have to adjust the J2SE Java3D api to work properly with ES.
Own ES version: forget it, if you don't want to spend lots and lots of time on wrapping stuff.
jwgl? Never heard about it
lwjgl: Will probably get ported, and should be easy to port. The guys at lwjgl.org have stated their intents to port the library.
Java3D: Will definitely be ported, but probably later than sooner.

Back