Saying hi!

you would mount your pnd using the pnd_run.sh script like so:

../pnd_run.sh -p /path/to/your.pnd -mit will be mounted to /mnt/utmp/yourpndname1
you can access and edit your files there and once you're done, you'd just unmount your pnd again, like so:

../pnd_run.sh -p /path/to/your.pnd -u
This doesn't edit the PND. PND files are overlay mounted against the appdata directory such that when you create or modify any files those are stored in the appdata directory entirely automatically. PND files themselves are read-only. This is fine for local changes but won't let you just send someone your PND with those changes, they'll just end up with the same default PND you started with.The only way to modify the contents of a PND is to unsquash it, make the changes, and then rebuild it. The design of the ISO and squashfs makes it impossible to edit files inline.

This also doesn't require EXT formatted SD cards, it'll work just fine for FAT32 as long as you aren't doing anything EXT specific (like case sensitive file names or security settings)

This is fine for local changes but won't let you just send someone your PND with those changes, they'll just end up with the same default PND you started with.
Haha i never noticed.

But it makes sense. So I stand corrected.

Thanks WizardStan!

That reminds me: Are you guys aware you don't even need to "package" a .pnd to run it? You can just make a folder in one of the usual search locations and put the files into it, it should be recognized by the system.

No mounting or anything necessary. :)
 Haha I kinda knew about this, it's buried in the wiki but I think this is the only place it's ever mentioned:

http://pandorawiki.org/Introduction_to_PNDs#Can_a_PND-file_be_unpacked_and_used.3F
Funny you should mention this. I just started using this feature along with Love2D to begin making a game entirely on my Pandora. I'm pretty challenged when it comes to coding and Linux in general, so what has made this possible for me was unpacking one of ptitSeb's great Love2D games into my menu folder, modyfing the PXML and run_script.sh to create a new menu item for my game and pointing to the .love file I planned to pack, and then creating my game folder within ptitSeb's unpacked PND.

Now in my game folder I have written my main.lua script and collected all my data files and have my first tests up and running! It is amazing to me that all at once I can run:

Qupzilla for the Love2D & Lua wikis

Mypaint & Aseprite for sketches and sprite editing

Geany for editing my main.lua script

A terminal for packing the game folder into a .love file

Then on top of all that I can launch my test PND from the Pandora menu after each packaging of my .love file.

It blows my mind what my Pandora lets me do. So many props and thanks go to ptitSeb, Ekianjo, eyecreate, Canseco, the Love2D team, ED, and notaz for providing the tools that let a dummy like me create games all from scratch a handheld!

I know there are more folks I didn't mention, and I apologize. Right now I truly appreciate everyone here and everything this community has worked to accomplish.

Now in my game folder I have written my main.lua script and collected all my data files and have my first tests up and running! It is amazing to me that all at once I can run:

Then on top of all that I can launch my test PND from the Pandora menu after each packaging of my .love file.
That's awesome! I was actually wondering about this myself, I really like the LOVE framework. Surely it's possible to configure the engine to look for a directory instead of a .love file? (just like how LOVE can normally launch folders on the desktop), so you wouldn't even have to package it each time.

That's awesome! I was actually wondering about this myself, I really like the LOVE framework. Surely it's possible to configure the engine to look for a directory instead of a .love file? (just like how LOVE can normally launch folders on the desktop), so you wouldn't even have to package it each time.
I'm sure there is, but packaging is just a single command that is saved to my terminal, so I haven't bothered to figure out a way around it.

Like I said, I'm not too good with the Linux and the coding and the Jello Pudding.

Edit: Perhaps I could add the packaging command to my runscript for now... that would be easy enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back