Screen problem

So I "Sherlocked" on this mistery for a while and made some interesting discoveries. Just by observing from the outside. B)

After watching more closely the half-open screen it soon became clear that green is the missing color. Strong reds & blues, no greens. And it got somehow confirmed when I opened the lid veeery slowly (1 mm/s) to the exact point at which the signal is lost, and there the screen flickers on green, and it goes quickly to black.

I took a look to the Pandora hackers manual and saw that the green signal is driven by pins 19-26 from the LCD cable, which has a total of 51 pins. In the picture the connector has only 25+1 visible pins so I suppose there are distributed 26 one face & at 25 the other face of the cable.

So following that lead, on the same side as the green-signal pins, but on the opposite face, we could find the Digital-GND (50-51) pins, Led Backlight (48-49) pins and Touchscreen coordinates(44-47) pins. It all begins to make sense now. So the Backlight signal is the one that's lost when the lid is opened up to certain point. But the touchscreen coordinates are not lost, since the taps are detected no matter how open it is, even when there's no Backlight. So it seems the pins 27-47 and 1-22 are not affected.

My hypothesis is either one side of the cable went loose on the socket, or the cable has a crack on that side. I think it's probably loose and when the screen is opened it goes more out of the socket from that side, and when it is closed it goes in a bit again, but I can not prove it.

Since I don't wanna open it and void my warranty, this is just guesswork. Oh man, I almost wish it came without warranty, so I could take a look now :D

PS Good, when I was finishing writing this post I received an email response. I'll send it tomorrow to the UK! Crossing fingers!

EDIT: I couldn't wait to tomorrow :D, so I googled for postal offices in my zone, found one open until 22, drove to it, arrived 5 minutes before closing and sent it :) Epic ending. The pandora is now in destiny's hands!

Hi,

OK, I have just had this problem occur for the first time on my Pandora, the screen corrupts when moving the screen around the 45 degree point but comes good when closed or opened more. Sounds like the solder blobs maybe starting to cut into the cable. Has anyone actually pulled apart the LCD panel on their Pandora yet? Considering I can solder I was thinking of trying to fix this myself rather than ship it back to the UK. What do people think?

^ The lid is extremely difficult to open without breaking something.
You should check the connector on the board first and reseat the cable if necessary(might void your warranty).

mali said:
^ The lid is extremely difficult to open without breaking something.
You should check the connector on the board first and reseat the cable if necessary(might void your warranty).

Checked and reseated the connector but the problem still persists. See what you mean about the lid as the hinge looks very difficult to remove without breaking the screen or LCD Cable. Does anyone know how long it will take for OP to repair the unit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back