Screen

Eight Bit

Hardcore Member
Website
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I adore my Pandora! But....

The screen is so, so.... A bit too slow if you ask me. I love my 8bit stuff but small 1x1 char scrollers in vice are hard to read when they go too fast for the screen and hi-res textures change into a blur when moving.

I can live with it but I would pay extra moneys for a better screen if one would be available. (A capacitive touch screen would be nice too btw)

Would it at all be possible to exchange the screen for something better?

Here we go again
dry.gif

Hmm?

I've seen some of the ghosting topics and I'm not going on about the issue, I take it as it is.

Just asking if it's at all possible to exchange the screen for another type.

Theoretically? No problem! Practically? With major hassle, yes.

First, you need to find one that fits. If it doesn't have the same display controller, uboot and the kernel needs to be modified. If it doesn't have the same pinout/connector, you need a adaptor board (highly likely.) If it doesn't use the same signaling, you're in for a world of pain.

I've never seen ghosting or slowness with the LCD, I've heard others have.. I'm just curious if they're are different models of LCD going into the Pandora?

^ I'm on my fourth Pandora now (hopefully the last, of course! :lol: ), and two of the previous ones had exceptionally minor ghosting (barely noticeable, but definitely slightly there), and two (including the current one) did/do not. I'm guessing, just going on my own experiences, that there's some natural (well, in as far as you can use the term "natural" to apply to electronics manufacturing) variance between individual units.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even when I look for ghosting I have trouble finding it, more often than not.

@Eight Bit: I'm curious to know why you think a capacitive screen would be better.

Even when I look for ghosting I have trouble finding it, more often than not.

On my pandora screen the ghosting can easily seen while moving the cursor around. That was one of the first things i noticed after booting it up for the first time.

Fortunately the ghosting effect isn't noticeable for me while playing game (i'm perhaps too much focused on the game itself :lol: )

If they think it'd be nice, there must be some reason why they think it's a better option. I wasn't trying to be spiteful, if that was what you thought. I'm genuinely interested, as I have my own opinions as to what's better for what application.

If they think it'd be nice, there must be some reason why they think it's a better option. I wasn't trying to be spiteful, if that was what you thought. I'm genuinely interested, as I have my own opinions as to what's better for what application.
I experience ghosting on my pandora, I do not experience ghosting playing the same games on my xperia play for instance.

I don't think that's directly comparative of capacitive vs resistive but as far as screen vs screen it is of better quality in general. I agree each technology has it's specific application it excels in, but you have to ask... what application does the Pandora do that it requires the benefits of resistive over capacitive.

I personally agree capacitive might have been a better choice, but that argument is long a dead and beaten horse.

The problem is there are very few LCD screens which are 800*480, and of those fewer have good response times, and of those fewer are possible to buy off the shelf.

What is in the Pandora is the best we can get, the next screens 'up' are $100-$150 each. You probably would not like a $599 price tag.

Or would you for a 1024*600 LCD?

The problem is there are very few LCD screens which are 800*480, and of those fewer have good response times, and of those fewer are possible to buy off the shelf.

What is in the Pandora is the best we can get, the next screens 'up' are $100-$150 each. You probably would not like a $599 price tag.

Or would you for a 1024*600 LCD?
Yes, please. Even make it $699.

I don't think that's directly comparative of capacitive vs resistive but as far as screen vs screen it is of better quality in general.
Capacitive has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the screen. If the LCD on the Pandora had a capacitive layer instead of resistive one, it would still look the exact same.

not going to say anything... just going to leave this here.. resolution... price...

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/corporate/products/phoneportfolio/specification/xperia-play

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/sony-ericsson-rogers-sony-ericsson-xperia-play-cell-phone-playblkr/10168389.aspx?path=e14e9442e5837e931431d9814eb99074en02

@wizardstan- maybe I worded it wrong... but that's what I meant. I don't think the ghosting is resistive vs capacitive. But the quality of screen vs screen is the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
@wizardstan- maybe I worded it wrong... but that's what I meant. I don't think the ghosting is resistive vs capacitive. But the quality of screen vs screen is the issue.
Fair enough, but you said that in response to why the Pandora should have gone capacitive vs resistive, and the two have nothing to do with each other, except perhaps that manufacturers might put the two together intentionally.

Back