Screen

not going to say anything... just going to leave this here.. resolution... price...

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/corporate/products/phoneportfolio/specification/xperia-play

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/sony-ericsson-rogers-sony-ericsson-xperia-play-cell-phone-playblkr/10168389.aspx?path=e14e9442e5837e931431d9814eb99074en02

@wizardstan- maybe I worded it wrong... but that's what I meant. I don't think the ghosting is resistive vs capacitive. But the quality of screen vs screen is the issue.

Not sure that is a fair comparison, for starters, it's a smaller screen (4" vs. the Pandora's 5", not sure if that means it should cost more or less as I am not that well versed in LCD screens) and in addition, as was previously stated many times before, OpenPandora is NOT Sony, does not make as many products as Sony and needs to deal with 3rd party manufacturers that can treat them badly because no one would hear about it...

Oh yeah, and that probably also goes a long way towards the price they can get from suppliers vs. the "off the shelf" price Craig and co. can get.

Not sure that is a fair comparison, for starters, it's a smaller screen (4" vs. the Pandora's 5", not sure if that means it should cost more or less as I am not that well versed in LCD screens) and in addition, as was previously stated many times before, OpenPandora is NOT Sony, does not make as many products as Sony and needs to deal with 3rd party manufacturers that can treat them badly because no one would hear about it...

Oh yeah, and that probably also goes a long way towards the price they can get from suppliers vs. the "off the shelf" price Craig and co. can get.
when did the pandora screen grow .7"?

...anyway I'm not going to arm chair engineer here, I know nothing of what it takes to buy parts and in what quantity you get a discount, nor do I know what it costs to pay a line worker in a 3rd world country. I'm guessing they are getting their stuff from a place like this (my favorite source for hard to find parts)

http://www.mouser.com/

I'm not saying that anything anyone is saying is incorrect. I was simply showing an alternate device with comparative specs with price. Note there is other parts in the device I listed that was said would bump the price of the Pandora another hundred or so dollars as well. Is it exact.. no, is it comparative.. yes.

All I was trying to say was that the comparison is not a fair one.

I work in the medical devices industry for a very big company and we still see a huge difference when we order something in small batches or large quantities.

I'm guessing the Xperia Play is not being made in batches of 4000... :)

Remember, you can still use a stylus on capacitive screens.
Alright, Sony. I'll bite, since you're trying to sell me on capacitive styluses. :p

I'm well aware that capacitive screen styluses exist, and I also know the advantages/disadvantages of both capacitive and resistive screens. However, I feel that a resistive touch screen is best for the Pandora because of two big reasons:

#1: The precision you get with a stylus on a resistive touch screen cannot be replicated with a capacitive screen with an expensive capacitive stylus with a chunky tip, unless you're using one of those funky clear ones HTC and some others have been putting out lately. In a desktop environment, the smaller point is far better than a sausage.

#2: You can use anything that can apply pressure to a resistive touch screen and even get pressure sensitivity. Got gloves on? Can't use your capacitive screen, unless it's got those funky conductive pads on them.

You could argue that a glass capacitive screen is more durable and has multitouch, but there are resistive screens that are http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB1GxqRFKzw, and in some cases, have much better multitouch.

Meanwhile resistive touch screens have more precision, pressure sensitivity, and cost less. Pinch to zoom? Even works on current resistive screens. In fact, it even works on my LG eXpo, a resistive touch screen phone which doesn't come standard with multitouch.

I would love it if I could get a capacitive screen that was as precise as a resistive screen AND had pressure sensitivity, but sadly that doesn't exist. Resistive touch screens offer me what I need for Pandora; I'll stick to capacitive screens on my phone (but that's another conversation for another time and place).

(btw, I'm still waiting on Eight Bit's opinions... :p )

well, tbh I just like the feel of capacitive screens (glass) better :) Browsers like fennec work fine with finger control. Also i´m always afraid that some rough edge on my stylus will damage the resistive screen. Capacitive just seems or feels more durable somehow.

Both have their positive and negative properties but neither would be a deal breaker for me. So.... capacitive would be nice but not necessary at all. :)

Also craig, yes. Like I mentioned in my 1st post; I personally would be willing to pay extra for a better screen. The current one isn´t bad at all but there seems to be some quality fluctuations in the batch and mine could be better.

A higher res however I think the current Pandora would be too slow for. It now already struggles every now and then so maybe that option should be kept open for future adventures.

Cheers

Back