Sd card and folders question

pubzombie

Hi all,

Do we have to use the basic file structure [apps. appsdate, menu, desktop] within the pandora folder on SD cards or can I have a folder within the pandora folder for other data [ie media, documents]?

thank you for your time.

PZ

You can put whatever other folders on your SD-card that you want, the PND-system won't use them, but nothing prevents you from navigating there inside the apps you run.

You can make folders everywhere on the sd to store data in, but only the files in the structure will be discovered by the system and the pnds only use their appdatafolder.

:ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also make sub-directories within each directory that will be searched by libpnd. /pandora/menu/ is where you put stuff that will appear in the menu, but if you put PNDs in /pandora/menu/emulators/ those will also appear in the menu. It doesn't make any differences to the system (the group the package appears in is in the PND itself and the directory doesn't change it, although maybe it could in the future) but it will help keep your PNDs organized.

If i now move things around on my SD card [ say mover hAtari from desktop or apps to menu will it still work or do i need to clean up my folders and start again?

I want to move stuff because the apps folder and desktop both show up on my desktop and its getting cluttered. Also does too much on desktop cause system slowdown?

thanks again

PZ

You can move them in any of those folders without a problem. It will still use the same appdata directory. Also i don't think that too much icons on the desktop will slow down anything.

If you move a pnd from one SD card to another, you need to copy the appdatafolder to the same place on the other card, too of course :)

Sometimes I ask myself why people ask such things... No offense, but just trying it would work, too.

no offence taken my friend and i appreciate the time taken to help me :)

I ask because I have a long history of 'fiddling' with things and breaking them or deleting things and having to reinstall stuff :(

trying a new approach - learning by others mistakes not my own

The only issue I've had with using the desktop is that there is only so many icons that can be displayed on the screen at once.. if you have more it may hide some of them.

The only issue I've had with using the desktop is that there is only so many icons that can be displayed on the screen at once.. if you have more it may hide some of them.

Move anything you don't want on your desktop from /apps to /menu. Just cut and paste the .pnd file from one to the other. Your application data in /appsdata is still going to be fine. The application will then show up in your menu only/

One caveat to that though - when you download a new .pnd file and open it for the first time, do it from /apps. Many of them expect to be started from there the first time out. After that you can move them to /menu.

Yeah I know.. I was just sharing my experience with pnds on the desktop.

One caveat to that though - when you download a new .pnd file and open it for the first time, do it from /apps. Many of them expect to be started from there the first time out. After that you can move them to /menu.
I've never had issues with opening them for the first time with menu.. in fact I generally never create an app directory. I usually just have pnds placed in either the /pandora/menu and a /pandora/desktop directory.

Hi all,

Do we have to use the basic file structure [apps. appsdate, menu, desktop] within the pandora folder on SD cards or can I have a folder within the pandora folder for other data [ie media, documents]?

thank you for your time.

PZ

yes, whatever you want. on one of my sd cards, i only have a menu and appdata folder, b/c that's all i need. on another sdcard, i have menu, appdata,apps, desktop, roms folders. i don't use minimenu so i don't have a folder for that. like i said, whatever you desire.

Yeah I know.. I was just sharing my experience with pnds on the desktop.

I've never had issues with opening them for the first time with menu.. in fact I generally never create an app directory. I usually just have pnds placed in either the /pandora/menu and a /pandora/desktop directory.

The main one I ran into this on was the XCOM.pnd. It may have been updated, but the early one would only write out it's save directory and txt file correctly if it had been launched from the /apps directory. Since then I've erred to the safe side of opening things for the first time in /apps, then moving them to where I want them.

The main one I ran into this on was the XCOM.pnd. It may have been updated, but the early one would only write out it's save directory and txt file correctly if it had been launched from the /apps directory. Since then I've erred to the safe side of opening things for the first time in /apps, then moving them to where I want them.
Not only am I pretty sure that's impossible, there is nothing in libpnd that would tell a PND where it was run from, but I have also been running xcom exclusively from /menu since it was released. No one else has had the problem you mention, dare I suggest that maybe it was a fluke of your system?

Not only am I pretty sure that's impossible, there is nothing in libpnd that would tell a PND where it was run from, but I have also been running xcom exclusively from /menu since it was released. No one else has had the problem you mention, dare I suggest that maybe it was a fluke of your system?

Sheesh - it IS possible and the earlier version of the xcom.pnd file did have this behavior.

Because I'm special and have to dig out support questions in order to document anything I say or be declared a Troll:

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/4518-x-com-ufo-defense/page__st__20#entry81486

After moving the .pnd file to apps and re-launching it, it created all of it's needed folders and files and was happy as can be.

It's since then received at least one if not three updates. Since I don't archive old versions of everything - that's as close to proving it as I can get.

Sheesh - it IS possible and the earlier version of the xcom.pnd file did have this behavior.

Because I'm special and have to dig out support questions in order to document anything I say or be declared a Troll:

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/4518-x-com-ufo-defense/page__st__20#entry81486

After moving the .pnd file to apps and re-launching it, it created all of it's needed folders and files and was happy as can be.

It's since then received at least one if not three updates. Since I don't archive old versions of everything - that's as close to proving it as I can get.
No one called you a troll. Please stop trying to make yourself a victim every time someone tells you that you're probably wrong. I am also not saying you didn't have a problem, I'm saying that I am fairly certain that the problem you had isn't what you think it is, that there is nothing in libpnd that would even allow for this type of behaviour. I am suggesting that you have seen a flaw, jumped to a false conclusion instead of actually trying to understand what is happening, and as a result have been doing extra work in moving files around and are now attempting to spread this unhelpful advice to others.

Back