Sd Cards, Speed Wise...

DelTa_ViRuS

Still Fresh
Hi guys,
I was wondering if the GP2x will support the high speed cards? I wanted to get the Sandisk 1gig regular "blue" SD card. Is this a good move, or do I need to fork out for the high speed model (double the price) Will it hurt GP2x performance if I don't get the high speed one?

Thanks,

im using a-data 1g 150x and it's ok on my gp2x ;D

I think the question has more to do with whether you will see a difference with a high speed card, as opposed to will it just work. As far as I know, a high speed card will work in any device - I have a rather fast card hooked up to my WRT54g router, but since it's using really slow GPIO pins I only get about 360KBps read/write speeds.

-OCA|

Last edited by a moderator:
im using a-data 1g 150x  and it's ok on my gp2x ;D

I think the question has more to do with whether you will see a difference with a high speed card, as opposed to will it just work. As far as I know, a high speed card will work in any device - I have a rather fast card hooked up to my WRT54g router, but since it's using really slow GPIO pins I only get about 360KBps read/write speeds.

-OCA|

The answer to that is no. It won't make a diffrence. At least not until better drivers are implemented.

im using a-data 1g 150x and it's ok on my gp2x ;D

-OCA|

The answer to that is no. It won't make a diffrence. At least not until better drivers are implemented.

So what is the consensus? Should I buy a faster card for the double the price on the basis that in the future the GP2X will support it more *efficiently* or should I buy the standard Sandisk 1G?

Thanks Guys

I would never pay twice the price. That's ridiculous. Get some other cheaper brand than Sandisk maybe? A-data sd cards, which I'm getting, are both cheap and reliable.

I split the diff and got a 60x mmc card for about $56 shipping incl.

I think that you only need as fast as you will use.

I based mine off of playing videos, 60x should play just about anything up to full mpeg2 ripped straight off of a dvd.

Edit: get a 100x, don't pay more than $65-$70 (or equiv.)

I split the diff and got a 60x mmc card for about $56 shipping incl.

I think that you only need as fast as you will use.

I based mine off of playing videos, 60x should play just about anything up to full mpeg2 ripped straight off of a dvd.

Edit: get a 100x, don't pay more than $65-$70 (or equiv.)

So the movies could lag, if I had say a 60x card?

No, I don't think the card would lag, my card copies at several MB per second, surely enough for the most demanding video.

The reason for mentioning 100x was that I feel anything higher is probably a waste of money as far as the GP2x is concerned

No, I don't think the card would lag, my card copies at several MB per second, surely enough for the most demanding video.

The reason for mentioning 100x was that I feel anything higher is probably a waste of money as far as the GP2x is concerned

Cool, thanks! I am off to futureshop tonight to pick one up. Also, has anyone released any emulators? I know Duke3d and doom are supposed be done!? Anyone have em'?

Hey, I just ordered a 1GB Kingston SD card with a multi-card reader from zipzoomfly, for $77 (free 2nd day air, fed ex)

It said 60x read/80x write (I think)

^ I'm assuming this is sufficient, as I thought the $79 for a 100x card (just the card, no reader) was a bit much.

:)

Back