Security & Encryption

Chip said:
It already has. Here is some more info on the (already enacted) plan, including a link to the official policy itself. Here, here, and here are examples of people who have already had to deal with arbitrary confiscations.

Thanks for the detailed answer!
Squidge said:
The only way around the plan is to just use your device as a tool. Store no data on it, and access that data remotely via Wifi (NFS export to encrypted files). They can't force you to disclose passwords and keys to such features, as they are not required for examination of the device you are taking into that country.
So if you're already in the US and store some data in an encrypted volume will you have to disclose the password if the authorities ask you to (5-th amendment is good but what is the actual practice)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip said:
It already has. Here is some more info on the (already enacted) plan, including a link to the official policy itself.
I had read up some stuff on this before, but I noticed this time that it also covers documents and printed materials, except international post is not covered.
Both bizarre and scary.

TaG said:
Squidge said:
They can't force you to disclose passwords and keys to such features, as they are not required for examination of the device you are taking into that country.
Yet.
True, but even if it comes to that, just store the ip address and user/pass in your head. Once you are through customs and into the US, simply open the laptop and remote desktop to your machine in your own country with all your encrypted data on :)

This is why I drive across the border and fly from Buffalo if I need to go anywhere Stateside.

WizardStan said:
This is why I drive across the border and fly from Buffalo if I need to go anywhere Stateside.
Good idea. All these anti-terrorism measures are just insane. I don't think a terrorist can use a hard drive as a freakin' bomb. :huh:

cloud858rk said:
Good idea. All these anti-terrorism measures are just insane. I don't think a terrorist can use a hard drive as a freakin' bomb. :huh:
Ah, but it could contain information about how to make a bomb, or a list of known terrorrists, or contain ingrediants to make a bomb. They can't check there and then quickly enough, so it's easier to just confiscate and maybe they'll have a look later (At which point if it was a normal laptop, it'll probably be sold internally to the highest bidder, as that would be easier and much more profitable than giving it to you back).

People have been known to remove platters from harddisks and fill the harddisk with certain 'dodgy' ingrediants.

cloud858rk said:
WizardStan said:
Good idea. All these anti-terrorism measures are just insane. I don't think a terrorist can use a hard drive as a freakin' bomb. :huh:But it's amazing what terrorists can do with an illegally downloaded mp3. :blink:

Squidge said:
cloud858rk said:
Ah, but it could contain information about how to make a bomb, or a list of known terrorists, or contain ingredients to make a bomb. They can't check there and then quickly enough, so it's easier to just confiscate and maybe they'll have a look later (At which point if it was a normal laptop, it'll probably be sold internally to the highest bidder, as that would be easier and much more profitable than giving it to you back).

People have been known to remove platters from harddisks and fill the harddisk with certain 'dodgy' ingredients.

Easy solution. Hook people up to a lie detector and ask them if they are terrorist. ;) Then they could keep their stuff.

Do strong, volume level encryption, open a terminal, su, and enter on your way off the flight:
sleep 600;dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sd bs=1024;
echo "Have fun with my SD card, homeland security!";
And lock your session. If you have any real problems, the Pandora will take care of itself.

Have fun decrypting that when you don't know what is random and what is actual encrypted data.

Unfortunately, urandom isn't really random as there's an algorithm to it, so you can normally predict what is random and what is encrypted data.

Grumpy said:
Since the Pandora is a portable device it will propably get stolen or just lost.
Which security features will it have?
The simplest Security feature would be a wrist strap but there is no Information if the Pandora will have one or at least a hole in the case for this. ^_^

Squidge said:
Unfortunately, urandom isn't really random as there's an algorithm to it, so you can normally predict what is random and what is encrypted data.
Doesn't the encryption hardware in the OMAP have a hardware RNG?

I think the US is slowly turning into the Soviet Union in a number of ways. The laws are already Soviet-esque (searches of information, permanent confiscation of property, no trial if the government decides you're not worthy of one, etc). The only bright side right now is that they haven't been implementing those laws as much as they could; you get a few citizens without trial here and there (law's fairly new), a large amount of stolen property (that law's been there for a while), some information searches (law's also fairly new).

It is now legal for the US government to remake its country into the Soviet Union under Stalin, but thankfully they haven't done that yet. Either it will swing back the way it came - back to normal, which is possible - or they will continue slowly squeezing their grip. Stalin spent something like 15 years tightening the bolts; it didn't happen overnight.

I'm solving the problem by simply avoiding travel to the US for now, until things straighten up over there at least. ;)

AireTamStorm said:
Squidge said:
Doesn't the encryption hardware in the OMAP have a hardware RNG?

No idea (I'm at work at the moment, so can't check). However, everyone can download the OMAP Datasheet and reference manual, so feel free to check :)

The VIA padlock also has a hardware rng next to the encryption instructions. This way /dev/random has an unlimited entropy pool, thus never blocks. I'm guessing the omap has one too.

what if I take an SD card out of it and put it in my pocket before handing the device over, what are they gonna do, search me for SD cards? I doubt it. (Then again...)

Still, scary stuff. This is why I like living in Europe. (Though things are getting worse for us too, especially recently)

Kyosys said:
what if I take an SD card out of it and put it in my pocket before handing the device over, what are they gonna do, search me for SD cards? I doubt it. (Then again...)
That's probably the most reasonable and simple idea. Especially if you consider that SD cards are small enough to hide in your underwear without causing extreme discomforts.

They'll only check your device if they suspect you of being a terrorist. In that case, they'll take you to a room out the back where they will ask your consent to do horrible things to you. I know SD cards are small, but unless you put it in a condom and swallowed it, they'll still find it.

Also, if you encrypt with random, it'll just give them more of a reason to suspect you, which will be why you'll be spending the next 10 years in Guantanamo bay while you are constantly requested for a decryption key that does not exist.

Back