23rd Feb - hch

15th March - Miknal
21st Mar - Jan-Nik

1st April - RajTakhar
20th April - Rockthesmurf

1st May - sverm

All hail the pandora cult

Updated

PS Kudos to Craigix for having a guess also. :)

Tom` said:
craigix said:
I'm prepared to say July.
:huh:

Hehe I prefer:

craigix said:
The first 105 are going to ship in October

The July ones had all kind of people getting defensive about the definition of 'prepared to say'. The October one left nothing to interpretation.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
I'm prepared to say July.

craigix said:
The first 105 are going to ship in October

craigix said:
10th December.

Confirmed: All predictions before December 11th, 2009 have an ~99.9% chance of being false.

Hmm, has Two Months™ evolved into One Month™ lately? Woop, we're closer :D

It is reputed that Nero fiddled while Rome burnt, lets hope the Pandora project does not go up in smoke while the Chinese fiddle :(

borgqueenx said:
craigix said:
Well I know we can put the 103 in to cases on the 1st of dec, so I added 10 days.
103 pandora's done, and then after 10 days the rest of pandora's? that sounds optimistic...

That's not what the thread is about.

borgqueenx said:
103 pandora's done, and then after 10 days the rest of pandora's? that sounds optimistic...
Perhaps, but not undeservedly so. If the boards are finished by the end of this month, like was once predicted (or at least a large portion of them are), then all they need is assembly time.
On the other hand, he could have meant "I know we can put the 103 in to cases on the 1st of dec, but there's a non-zero chance of something else going wrong and needing a tweak, so I added 10 days"

craigix said:
borgqueenx said:
craigix said:
Well I know we can put the 103 in to cases on the 1st of dec, so I added 10 days.

That's not what the thread is about.
mmm i miss something? this is guessing the release date?
dont know if you dont understand me, or im not understanding you, but i just think your guess is to good to come true.

edit: thanks wizardstan for the clearup:)

I think craigix means that the first real 103 Pandora's will be ready by december the 1st and so if they are shipped then, most of them will have arrived on the 10th of december, and that is what this topic is about right? about the day the first Pandora is received. if they manage to ship on the 1st of december it will ofcourse be earlier as it doesn't take 10 days for a package to arrive.

Dragons_Slayer said:
I think craigix means that the first real 103 Pandora's will be ready by december the 1st and so if they are shipped then, most of them will have arrived on the 10th of december, and that is what this topic is about right? about the day the first Pandora is received. if they manage to ship on the 1st of december it will ofcourse be earlier as it doesn't take 10 days for a package to arrive.
Correct, there's a little nonsense between the thread title and the post that started this thread:

DrCJBoduma said:
Just for fun (and to gauge peoples expectations) Have a guess of the date when the first complete Pandora is received by the paying public.

My Guess is...........7th January 2009

Closest wins (nothing)
<
If we follow the thread title, December 10 would be the day that the first Pandora is shipped.
If we follow the first post, December 10 would be the day the first Pandora is handed over the customer.

Perhaps a little clarification is needed as to what craigix was meaning.

I thought the 103 were being given to devs and as review units. Do they count as 'the paying public'?

They might just ship out one of the first 103 to someone and say "Hey look, they're shipping!".

So realistically, if I just paid for mine and was told I will get one of the last of the first-run units, it's highly unlikely I will see it before x-mas, given that I am late jumping on the bandwagon and living on the west coast of Canada, right?

P.S.: I do game design and have plans to develop both games and other applications for the Pandora, everything from a simple errands manager (grocery shopping, notes, possibly e-coupon tracking) to large games vaguely like The Quest on iPhone and Rune Factory or Dragon Quest on DS Lite. I also want to see if this thing will be able to run a fairly complex 3D engine, as I am working on a highly modified version of a 3D engine from a textbook which was originally designed for low-end PCs running at 300MHz+.

Vorporeal said:
They might just ship out one of the first 103 to someone and say "Hey look, they're shipping!".
I'm happy with that.
At that point, that means the moulds will be done and ready to pound out some more, and the boards might need some more time, but there will plenty of hands-on videos to watch and fawn over.

Back