Should I stick to my PS3, or get myself a custom-made PC

Skyrim on an iMac in 2560x1440 resolution, with texture and detail mods.

It's the only way to be sure.

Makes console gaming look like shit, and for Skyrim at least you can still plug in an Xbox 360 controller and play it from the comfort of your Sofa.

As much as I love consoles; PCs are still a very valid and necessary part of a complete gaming diet.

It's a terrible, terrible shame that the current geriatric consoles are holding back PC graphics on games like Skyrim. Once you patch it for 4GB RAM and install some mods, you'll wonder how you ever played that muddy sack of crap on a console. And the modding community haven't even got started yet!

I also hate the fact that pc are superior to consol machines. I like to have my games in a shelf for show off. But yeah, you just get so much more from a pc than other consols,,

And also, I do have a Samsung Smart TV with 3D. How does that work with Windows? Like does Crysis 2 on pc support 3D on windows?

My brother said this was a real bargain, do you guys agree? It costs 1250

619272 Intel® LGA1155 Core™ i7-2600K (4 cores, 3,4 ghz, can clock it to 3,8?)

618011 Corsair XMS3 1600MHz 16GB Vengeance™ CL9

618054 WD Caviar® Blue™ 1TB SATA 3.0

622728 MSI GeForce GTX560Ti 1GB Twin Frozr (these cost 1500 nok each, about 250$)

622728 MSI GeForce GTX560Ti 1GB Twin Frozr

633060 ASUS P8Z68-V PRO, Socket-1155

645800 Sony DVD±RW AD-5280S-0B BLACK/SATA

623449 Corsair Powersupply TX V2 750W

648534 Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you know exactly what you are doing in terms of building a PC then I'd strongly recommend getting a preconfigured system, my personal recommendation would be to buy the monitor separately.
Most OEMs I've seen don't design systems that make any sense beyond following a checklist of what their expected consumer looks at. There is a particular love of high end processors paired with the barest of nods towards GPU capabilities.

622728 MSI GeForce GTX560Ti 1GB Twin Frozr (these cost 1500 nok each, about 250$)

Well you should have plenty of power in terms of processing assets. The brands are also well respected. I'm usually not that big on the Caviar Blue line, as they are by definition cache strapped compared to the Green and Black product lines. On the other hand with 16GB of memory, the OS should be caching heavily in RAM and thus rarely actually accessing the hard drive.

I won't speak much to the efficiency of your selections in terms of money spent, but I will say they follow along guidelines you'd see on various review sites.

Hello

One thing consoles have over PCs (not the PCs fault, just the way things are going) is that when you buy a console game you 'own' it. It works offline out of the box, on any machine. Buying games for PC can feel as if you've only rented them these days. Lots of PC games demand online activation, and can be an unholy PITA if you want to reinstall on new hardware.

Hi!

Yes, PS3 are beautifull to look at and are good at what it is supposed to do. But when I saw how muddy Skyrim looked in comparison to a decent/great pc, I think PC is the way to go.

Please bring something more than "PC = Pain in the arse", I need enlightenment if I really should get myself a computer or not :p

One thing consoles have over PCs (not the PCs fault, just the way things are going) is that when you buy a console game you 'own' it. It works offline out of the box, on any machine. Buying games for PC can feel as if you've only rented them these days. Lots of PC games demand online activation, and can be an unholy PITA if you want to reinstall on new hardware.

Please do not lash upon me for saying this, but I think PC is the way to go for testing new games instead buying them and see for yourself if it's great.

I downloaded Amnesia: The dark descent, and when I found it was awesome for my self, I bought the game to support the team behind them.

Now I don't have a PC that can play games at all! So instead just wasting my money on games that are crap like "Shellshock 2" and "Wolfenstein" <-- for PS3, I can download them and try them as long I bother

My advice if you wanted to stick to your $1000 budget is to go to a system builder and ask for the above but with a Single 560ti (That's what I use in my gaming rig, it's a great value card).

Look at adding a second 560ti card and a 256GB SSD next year when if normal trends are followed you'll be able to pick them up for $500.

What sort of monitor are you planning to use with your PC?

Another good bit of advice for a gaming PC is to invest in a good quality mouse, keyboard & monitor, oh and an X Box 360 controller (pref wireless).

Take it you don't use Steam? The thing that made me fall in love with Steam was the ease of system migration, that and the amazing value of the regular sales. Had a lot of misery in the past trying to track down errant disks etc.

Also take it you don't own a PS3, couldn't believe the time it took a friend, who lives out in the countryside, with a fairly slow (1MB/s) internet connection to get a new game running which required a firmware update of the PS3.

Well, I think I'll buy a demo-pc, pc that was build, but not paid or picked up.

My monitor would be my 46 inch flat screen Samsung smart TV with 3D

X-box controller I have, and my brother is going to give me his G-19 keyboard to x-mas if I have a pc then :)

This one is for 1100 usd

617631 AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition

585007 Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 16GB KIT

591141 WD Caviar® Black™ 1TB SATA 3.0

619975 XFX Radeon HD6970 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E

593882 ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3, Socket-AM3

605827 Sony DVD±RW AD-7260S-0B SATA, BLACK

365216 Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro

460922 Corsair Powersupply HX 750W Modular

461645 Cooler Master HAF Mini 922 Sort

Also take it you don't own a PS3, couldn't believe the time it took a friend, who lives out in the countryside, with a fairly slow (1MB/s) internet connection to get a new game running which required a firmware update of the PS3.

Yes, but that's the system itself (just as a PC can require OS or Driver updates, patches etc). What I mean is that a game on a console can be used on any console (I'm sure this will change in due course!) - you own the game not the install, so to speak.

There's upsides to both platforms - but if stuff like Skyrim is the OP's taste, it would seem that the PC is the natural home for that genre - you're far less likely to be concerned about 'owning' a physical copy in 20 years time!

I like both, but I'm keeping my PS3 because there's titles pc don't have like El Shaddai, which is AWESOME!

EDIT: And MGS series!

EDITEDIT: Sports champions is pretty fun too at parties, still have a hole in the roof :D

My monitor would be my 46 inch flat screen Samsung smart TV with 3D

It makes sense to see if that suits you but my guess is that in a month or two you'll be after a dedicated PC monitor. Any modern Graphics card can easily handle multiple displays.

As for general recommendations based on PC gaming since 1997 with a variety of systems would be to stick with Intel & Nvidia, you may seem to get more bang for your buck with AMD & but you tend to hit more snags especially when gaming with AMD & Radeon.

I want to thank you all for the help! Especially Scooby, who convinced this was the right one! :D

Cost 850 usd

518692 AMD Phenom II X4 965, Black Edition

618010 Corsair XMS3 1600MHz 8GB Vengeance™ CL9

591141 WD Caviar® Black™ 1TB SATA 3.0

575192 WD Caviar® Green™ 2TB SATA 2.0

617740 Sapphire Radeon HD6850 1GB TOXIC PCI-E

585260 Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H, Socket-AM3

488176 Sony DVD±RW AD-5260S BLACK/SATA

612436 Corsair CX 600W PSU

604766 Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus Midi Tower

Use Gigabyte motherboards, Asus is currently overrated.

Kingston ram, and WD disks, of course

For a gaming rig I would not go for an HD6850, not just because the driver support for games for Radeons is inferior to that for Nivdia cards, more in terms of performance. It is by no means a bad card and would be far superior to a PS3 / 360 in terms of raw graphics processing power, but you'll find it'll begin to struggle sooner than you'd like as higher end cards become the norm.

I'd say the best value gaming graphics card is the Nvidia 560ti, been very pleased with mine anyway.

Have a look at this article for the various merits of graphics cards.

But since this was so cheap, I could easily get a better card later on. Can't I have both 560ti and the current card in the same time?

Back