Should Pyra have a Camera?

Should Pyra have a Camera?

• Yes

Votes: 111 43.0%
  • No

Votes: 147 57.0%

• Total voters

Just again a picture of my idea. Let's imagine the camera is in the lid and faces backwards.

There is just one mirror to turn around 45°.

WDxvyz3.jpg
That's a nice picture you got there. This looks like great fun to mess around with. 

I wonder how much would a short fiberscope cost, we may put one on when we need to webby chatty. (fiberscope, you know, the kind of camera lens made of light fiber that doctors stuff them down your gob and try to figure out why you are so much so dead. )

There is barely enough room in the case for a tiny camera, there's not going to be any room any room at all for a complex mirror system inside ...

Camera doesn't point out, it points up, with a mirror which reflects either outward or inward. Put it on a physical switch, not some electromagnets, with 3 positions of out, in, and closed.

This might solve the size issue, and definitely solves the "inside or outside" issue as the single camera now does both. It does, however, introduce its own problems: bouncing images off a mirror into a camera isn't in any way as easy as it sounds, the camera will need to be modified or custom to have a longer focal length and glass on either side. Could be cheap but sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

Could be cheap but sounds like more trouble than it's worth.
That was supposed to be a joke, but I guess it was not that funny; the fact is you can pretty much get a decent webcam that costs less... Or just stuff a tiny front camera on the lid.

There's plenty of space next to the d-pad and gaming control buttons, but by putting the camera there means: when you are doing web chat; people on the other side will be staring up at your nostrils all the time. That sounds both gross and disrespectful. It's rather funny though, that way we can market Pyra as the first device ever supports remote nostrills checking.  :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That was supposed to be a joke, but I guess it was not that funny;
Not your idea, N3Cr0's with the mirror: fiberscopes are expensive. There's questionable room for just a camera, to say nothing of a camera and mirror system; If the camera faces upward and has light reflected into it from either side by a mirror there should be enough room. It introduces its own problem though.

Not your idea, N3Cr0's with the mirror: fiberscopes are expensive. There's questionable room for just a camera, to say nothing of a camera and mirror system; If the camera faces upward and has light reflected into it from either side by a mirror there should be enough room. It introduces its own problem though.
How about putting a small crappy camera between the nubs next to the pandora/pyra button? You can prop pyra up with something to adjust it's angle. 

How about putting a small crappy camera between the nubs next to the pandora/pyra button? You can prop pyra up with something to adjust it's angle.
waste of space, we're already trying to figure out how to add more buttons or keys on the base, that would take up valuable space.

-God Ginrai

I would like camera, front and back both if possible.  I do carry iPhone but would like to break it to pieces when I get Pyra because my hatred for it could shatter all 9 dimensions.

I do not pay the ~$100/month that I used to for iPhone, I bought out of contract because no need.  I am usually within wifi so I make calls with skype or google voice or other VOIP (inphonex is good too).  I rarely video call but like that option, further I like taking picture and wish to minimize number of devices i bring with me.  The camera is the only thing my iPhone has superior to Pandora IMO, and if my Pandora had not been stolen (grumblegrumble) I would still be carrying both devices, but iPhone for camera ONLY.

So to me (and anyone like me) the camera is the most important upgrade to Pandora.  Unless Pyra SoC is x86, that to me would be bigger upgrade =P

But I want Pyra with as many different functions built in as possible.  I am already expecting $1000 price if the device has it all, but for a device that "has it all" (for me) $1k or under is a pretty good price, replacing my iPhone (4S), netbook, laptop (if Pyra is x86 and 4.8"+ screen), tablet (7" Sero 7 Pro), PSP, and my mp3 player (since all these devices like crap on my good headphones, while Pandora sounds amazing)

Is what I want, too unique to be Pyra?

waste of space, we're already trying to figure out how to add more buttons or keys on the base, that would take up valuable space.
-God Ginrai
Eh, I whole heartly agree with you. Though there are buttons that I would never use, such as the pandora button, and the F# keys. 

I recon we should give all the buttons more functions, rather than add more of them. Some kind of hot key mapper could be useful?

-God Ginrai
Eh, I whole heartly agree with you. Though there are buttons that I would never use, such as the pandora button, and the F# keys. I recon we should give all the buttons more functions, rather than add more of them. Some kind of hot key mapper could be useful?
The buttons are already pretty overloaded as it is. Adding more functions to each would just be frustrating for users.

-God Ginrai

-God Ginrai
Eh, I whole heartly agree with you. Though there are buttons that I would never use, such as the pandora button, and the F# keys. 
I recon we should give all the buttons more functions, rather than add more of them. Some kind of hot key mapper could be useful?
The buttons are already pretty overloaded as it is. Adding more functions to each would just be frustrating for users.

-God Ginrai
Well, there is space where you can't put buttons because you would hit them accidentally... :)

And I think that a good button remapping tool would be really handy no matter how many keys we get.

Ugh please no camera. Everything I own has a camera now. My phone, my laptop etc. You can barely buy a tv without a camera anymore.

I could use a camera, because my digicam drains batteries way too fast and my phone doesn't have one and I don't like smartphones.

I'm willing to pay for the 8mp rear camera with flash, if it becomes or there's an option for a full phone.

If I have to pick a camera, I think the rear camera would be the most important.

Megapixel count is not a good measure of quality for digital cameras. The things that are are more complicated than a single "bigger is better" number, so they're not used in mass marketing. Proper lens for example is much more important for a good quality picture than high megapixel count.

Megapixel count is not a good measure of quality for digital cameras. The things that are are more complicated than a single "bigger is better" number, so they're not used in mass marketing. Proper lens for example is much more important for a good quality picture than high megapixel count.
I know, but since they're from the same company, I went and made the assumption that "bigger is better" at the time. I haven't really look into it, yet.

Now that ED has mentioned there will a 3g option for the Pyra which will allow calls to be made (and data of course), I'm all in for a camera in it.  That way I wont need  to get/carry a separate camera/smartphone just for the camera.

Me too. This is ideal. I won't need a separate phone which is what I was hoping for.

I hope camera is a feature now

Back