Should Pyra have a Camera?

Should Pyra have a Camera?

• Yes

Votes: 111 43.0%
  • No

Votes: 147 57.0%

• Total voters

Not really, we have to fit 4 shoulder buttons, microUSB, microHDMI, full-size USB, and possibly a miniUSB and EXT port back there.
Do you have any comment on the MiniUSB port, seems not very likely if we already have a MicroUSB port ?

How are they going to get a mini and micro USB? Te OMAP5 only has one slave port.

Mini-USB A exists, you know...
When someone says "mini USB" they're typically talking about USB-b ports. The way ED has said it there's an implication that he's talking about slave ports.
Mini USB is a type of USB, that's it. All ED said is mini USB, he didn't mention slave or mini USB-B. As such, there's no reason to believe he specifically means slave until he's said so himself.

-God Ginrai

If you should include camera, I want to request that it has physical shutter so even if hacked you'd only get a black image.

That depends on how strict the place is. The rule is so you can't take pictures. However, tape doesn't actually prevent that, since you could always take it off when you wanted to break the rule.

-God Ginrai
If they are that strict, they probably wouldn't even let you bring tech in. Also, the person would wanted to break the rule, would do best with a hidden camera.

Mini USB is a type of USB, that's it. All ED said is mini USB, he didn't mention slave or mini USB-B. As such, there's no reason to believe he specifically means slave until he's said so himself.
You are correct, he did not explicitly say. That is why I said, because of how common mini USB-B is and how uncommon (and completely deprecated) mini USB-A is, that when discussing mini USB without explicitly stating slave vs host it is implied slave, just as "full sized USB" implies host.

If we do get cameras, their either going have to stick out from the lid or be put on the hinge or base.

My vote is "no"

1) There is no good place for it. Putting it in the lid would require adding space around it with a larger bezel. I would prefer as small a bezel as practical. The back of the case also has little room due to many connectors planned.

2) No way to match good quality cellphones for a rear-facing camera. As has been mentioned, good cellphone cameras have very advanced proprietary drivers to correct for the hardware limitations. ED cannot afford these development costs.

3) Security. Pyra will sell to geeks, many who work in IT areas which have camera restrictions.

4) Reliability / RMAs. Another point of failure.

5) Additional cost even without custom DSP processing. Adding a camera would require sourcing one with linux drivers and integrating it into the Pyra firmware. Somebody has to do the work and I am not sure the team has someone who can handle the work.

While it is possible a solution for a front-facing cam in the hinge to be found, I feel it wont be easy, cheap and worth the trouble.

That makes sense, but I think it's only one side of the medal.

Just my thoughts:

Most usb webcams run out of the box under Linux. Even the webcam integrated in my Thinkpad is connected via USB interface. So let's suppose we've got standard cameras which don't require much development, the question will be how small they can be. Are there cams which are small enough to fit into the case?

Last edited by a moderator:
My vote is "no"

1) There is no good place for it. Putting it in the lid would require adding space around it with a larger bezel. I would prefer as small a bezel as practical. The back of the case also has little room due to many connectors planned.

2) No way to match good quality cellphones for a rear-facing camera. As has been mentioned, good cellphone cameras have very advanced proprietary drivers to correct for the hardware limitations. ED cannot afford these development costs.

3) Security. Pyra will sell to geeks, many who work in IT areas which have camera restrictions.

4) Reliability / RMAs. Another point of failure. 

5) Additional cost even without custom DSP processing. Adding a camera would require sourcing one with linux drivers and integrating it into the Pyra firmware. Somebody has to do the work and I am not sure the team has someone who can handle the work.

While it is possible a solution for a front-facing cam in the hinge to be found, I feel it wont be easy, cheap and worth the trouble.
1) It may poke out, but it shouldn't take anymore width in the back of the lid.

2) Can't effort them, says who? Can't beat them, join them.

Link

3) Quite frankly, they probably be using business computers and/or you should be doing your work anyway. ;)

4) Meh.

5) They did/doing it with the Nexus screen, surely they can do the same for the Camera.

It's sure worth the trouble for all the people who wants it.

An onboard forward-facing camera would be useful for video conferencing EG Skype or something similar, maybe with a little plastic slide lock cover for those security-conscious types. After all, this sort of device could be extremely useful for field research types as well, something much more incredibly portable and useful, pocketable, extremely good battery life, far more than any tablet or full-size computer. The Toshiba Librettos were great for this sort of thing, as well, as were the Sony Picturebooks, they just didn't take off because their specifications, functionality and cost were detrimental to their notebook cousins. And the battery life on them were abysmal.

Nothing really new to add, but I would quite like front and rear facing cameras. Would be great to be able to take photos, edit them into documents and then email off the documents directly from device. Front facing would be cool for video chat (lots of good use cases but particularly when family is far away). I also wonder if we may get some quirky games using the camera (level generation from camera input?) Or perhaps application uses (eye tracking maybe)?

As long as it didn't add much to device cost, durability or production timeframe I am in :)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 4

I guess it would be best to have this as an option, like 3g/4g, too.

Back