Should Pyra have a Camera?

Should Pyra have a Camera?

• Yes

Votes: 111 43.0%
  • No

Votes: 147 57.0%

• Total voters

That would be nice, but I don't know if it is possible to make it optional. It's not feasible to have two different case designs and two different PCBs. I don't know if that is really needed, but it could be an issue.

Cameras in devices that aren't cameras is unprofessional. And its not cool, unless you do it yourself.
I don't agree. I have a camera in my laptop and it's pretty practical for video chatting. A handheld is always a compromise device, if it gets a camera of course it will not be a professional camera, just like its speakers are not professional speakers, its keyboard is not a profesionnal keyboard, its screen is not the size a professional monitor would be, its CPU does not have the power a professional desktop PC has, etc. That is not a problem in itself. As long as the price/quality/convenience hits a sweet spot, it's fine.

Pyra is getting expensive (600€) without it already, please no camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about releasing a mini USB camera which can easily be attached to the backside and the lid (facing the user)as well?

Pyra is getting expensive (600€) without it already, please no camera.
He said it isn't going that high. Those are just estimates.
How about releasing a mini USB camera which can easily be attached to the backside and the lid (facing the user)as well?
No, must be built in.

This was one of the highlights of my PSP experience, and it was really useful back in the day, but now cameras are so ubiquitous that I've gotten over the fun of it and wouldn't even care to have one.

camera.jpg

Is that not a webcam? Modify one to attach just how you want.

Or you could use spydroid to share your phones webcam to your device.

Added complexity when other things can go wrong too, isnt a winning move.

If you can get away with not having a phone then that is just great. People without phones isnt a huge market right now, but i suppose people wanting to get rid of them is rather high. Because carrying two devices that do only one thing is a drag.

One of which is a phone that does nothing well. It doesnt have a keyboard, so most things fail right there, and it has a subpar camera, that fails at being a camera.

Using a camera as a camera, still works. If you get two dual SD slots with the companion device, and can use it to connect to the internet, i dont see why you wouldnt. It makes more sense than another invasive/cost-adding craptastic camera.

And no to anything anyone were going to say about having inbuilt online services and gps tagging on their camera.

Maybe a one-device-does-everything and not-so-much photo and video is what people want. Im not saying they arent, maybe they want a camera in their pyra for whatever reason, but largely people are not of that opinion, and i think those people are more important.

Im pretty sure with some 3d printing and a little hack and slash someone can make it happen with relative ease, for the ones that do want it, which is more fair to everyone.

Edit: . The line has to be drawn somewhere, and design targets are better met than missed. Lets try to understand them first.

I understand my line of reasoning can also be applied to the microphone and the speakers. Although less expensive, and they aren't routed through the screen hinge. And they don't cost as much.

I have never used them on the pandora for anything other than testing the novelty of it, and that wears off pretty quick. The speakers cant ever be good, so forget those. The mic(s) could be reasonable, but then you are adding cost to a device that isnt _really_ about recording, unless its audience is, and i dont think so. In the sense that they are, they will connect real recording equipment.

As a general rule then, if the cost to performance/usefulness doesn't translate to an added value that is perceived as higher by the audience, then don't.

The thing is, I wish there was a desiring solution for my case.

I'd like to replace my Android smartphone with integrated keyboard with something similar(even better), but without Android. The Pandora seems to have some potential, but I confess, it's a bit too tall for my pocket. By the way, I also thought about modding a used laptop camera.

However, if someone has an idea, please tell me. ;)

but i suppose people wanting to get rid of them is rather high. Because carrying two devices that do only one thing is a drag.
Like me.

Using a camera as a camera, still works. If you get two dual SD slots with the companion device, and can use it to connect to the internet, i dont see why you wouldnt. It makes more sense than another invasive/cost-adding craptastic camera.
Or just get a recent or somewhat recent smartphone camera (and please don't tell me they can't argument when they are doing it with the screen),so I don't have to go through that nonsense. 

If we are basing things off such paranoia, they would be better off not even buying the Pyra. In fact, they should just get off and stay off the internet right now. 

:lol:

Maybe a one-device-does-everything and not-so-much photo and video is what people want. Im not saying they arent, maybe they want a camera in their pyra for whatever reason, but largely people are not of that opinion, and i think those people are more important.

Im pretty sure with some 3d printing and a little hack and slash someone can make it happen with relative ease, for the ones that do want it, which is more fair to everyone.
Even tho it's not exactly 50/50 with the poll, largely there are people who wants it too. Base on smartphones, probably more than what this poll

is showing.

Oh, so easy? Then like I said, he can do a camera option too or just tag it along the 3g/4g model.

Edit: . The line has to be drawn somewhere, and design targets are better met than missed. Lets try to understand them first.

I understand my line of reasoning can also be applied to the microphone and the speakers. Although less expensive, and they aren't routed through the screen hinge. And they don't cost as much.

I have never used them on the pandora for anything other than testing the novelty of it, and that wears off pretty quick. The speakers cant ever be good, so forget those. The mic(s) could be reasonable, but then you are adding cost to a device that isnt _really_ about recording, unless its audience is, and i dont think so. In the sense that they are, they will connect real recording equipment.

As a general rule then, if the cost to performance/usefulness doesn't translate to an added value that is perceived as higher by the audience, then don't.
What exactly are you trying to say here? We should get rid of the mic and speakers? This theoretical audience argument can be applied to anything.

"We shouldn't have a keyboard because it can't ever be good, so forget that. We can just use a touchscreen. If they really wanted to type something, they would connect a full size keyboard."

:lol:

The line has to be drawn somewhere
And neither you nor I are the people to draw that line, I've said similar before. EvilDragon will draw the line. I see our job as the community to argue the pros and cons of each suggestion and let ED decide if it's something he wants in his device based on those arguments and his own willingness to take risks.Give facts and figures, argue your case why it should or should not be included based on those facts, don't rely on some arbitrary "line" that you yourself have defined because different people will want that line further or closer. Some people are saying 3G is a line that shouldn't be crossed, other people are saying that they want the line to go as far as DTV and beyond. Some people are sticklers for cost and want as much cut in the name of price as possible while others want as many features as possible and are willing to pay the premium (more than the premium) for it. EvilDragon will decide where the comfortable price vs feature set is, not us.

Arbitrary lines make for bad arguments.

Price is not a big problem if all we want is a cheap webcam that is good enough for some video chatting and maybe some crappy selfie pictures. You can buy such cameras at Walmart for a few dollars.

The main problem is where to put it, and will it not complicate the design too much?

If it can be done, it can probably be done without increasing the final Pyra price by more than $5, i.e. 1% or so.

Price is not a big problem if all we want is a cheap webcam that is good enough for some video chatting and maybe some crappy selfie pictures. You can buy such cameras at Walmart for a few dollars.

The main problem is where to put it, and will it not complicate the design too much?

If it can be done, it can probably be done without increasing the final Pyra price by more than $5, i.e. 1% or so.
I don't really care if it does or not. It's a rear one that I'm concern with.

I wonder how difficult it would be to design the camera into the hinge. Does anyone know anything about how to make that work?

Know, not. But I have some imagination and say it's almost impossible. There is no camera, small enough to fit into a hinge. It could be under the hinge and the hinge would have some optics. But those optics would probably be very expensive, or the quality would be horribly crappy.

Know, not. But I have some imagination and say it's almost impossible. There is no camera, small enough to fit into a hinge. It could be under the hinge and the hinge would have some optics. But those optics would probably be very expensive, or the quality would be horribly crappy.
lg-u880-multi.jpg

- Neelix

| Oh, so easy? Then like I said, he can do a camera option too or just tag it along the 3g/4g model.
| What exactly are you trying to say here? We should get rid of the mic and speakers? This theoretical audience argument can be applied to anything.
| "We shouldn't have a keyboard because it can't ever be good, so forget that. We can just use a touchscreen. If they really wanted to type something, they would connect a full size keyboard." :lol:

There isnt a 3g model so to speak, its really a standard model assembled from a pcb with one change, the 3g module isnt populated. Its cheaper with liscensing, and its very non-complex.

Adding a camera is a complex procedure, for dubious reward with respect to my edited post.

It can be good for what it is, a handheld. A camera cant be good because you cant fit a lense thats big enough. Also, cameras are speciality devices, keyboards are much easier, allthough a science of their own.

Edit: The pcb isnt in the hinge, so even though it doesnt go through it, its still a custom job.

Back