Should Pyra have a Camera?

Should Pyra have a Camera?

• Yes

Votes: 111 43.0%
  • No

Votes: 147 57.0%

• Total voters

Really don't think phone cameras are as bad as you are making them out to be.

I don't have exact data.
It's about 10mm with rim and 5mm without rim.

The new screen thinner than the Pandora screen (if we take it). I could imagine the new lid could be 5mm including the rim.
(No data is set! Everything speculation right now! All I know is that the lid might get smaller).
Or give more room for the camera.

Contra:

Pandora is clamshell to protect the screen. Now the camera lens could get hurt if it's on the outside
Some companies don't allow devices with camera.
Like most small camera. I guess we could put a cover on it.

If not a cover,tape. :p

I will never fully understand why people want cameras on their phones..but not on a handheld computer, as it were. Doesn't it make more sense to be on the latter? Maybe that's just me..
For me, it's because my phone is always on me... I mean all the time... wherever I go, at work or whatever. So good to have a camera on the phone as means always got camera to hand.

I get what you mean though, as you probably thinking of using the camera for Skype or stuff like that. But I use my camera just for taking snaps.

This is why Pyra would be awesome[r] if it was also my phone, as would mean that not only would I always have a camera on my person, wherever I am... I'd also always have the ultimate in gaming [specifically the physical controls] on my person too :)

^ shut your beagle face..

Edit: well I'm fairly neutral on the whole camera thing.. If it can be done cheap without sacrificing other features sure, if not I could pass on the feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally don't see a need for an outwards facing camera as it adds foremost costs and complexity (in parts, design and production) while most people usually already have an alternative around them that probably works better.

The Pandora won't replace a phone (there may be a 2/3/4G modem included, but you will not be able to make "regular" phone calls with it, just VOIP/SIP calls) so I do not know where that argument is going.

Security concerns should not be an issue though as most companies either adapted with sticker or security just keeps the device for the stay. For people that work in an high security area (and would still be allowed to take a Pyra without camera with them), I could imagine Ed offering a "special service" to remove the camera on customer request before delivering it.

Altough it also adds in costs and complexity, I could at least see a usecase for some sort of video chat with inward facing camera (but not me using it). With the Pyra beeing more "capable" I guess there could be people that only take their Pyra with them instead a full laptop when they travel (business or private).

So I voted with "no"

I think it would be a good idea to offer one version with a small camera-shaped block of plastic, and another with a camera module.

The camera in the lid would have to be on a separate board or on the end of a cable anyway, so it wouldn't significantly increase manufacturing complexity to do two versions.

One could introduce artificial price separation to make the cheaper version more accessible to more customers.

I will never fully understand why people want cameras on their phones..but not on a handheld computer, as it were. Doesn't it make more sense to be on the latter? Maybe that's just me..
Simple. They never actually wanted cameras on their phones, they are just there. Then, after having tried out the cameras on their phones and disliking the level of quality, they don't want it on their handheld computer due to the bad quality of the images it takes. That doesn't seem too hard to follow.

-God Ginrai
I kind of like having a camera on my phone, but I don't use it very much. It's handy for things like reading barcodes, video conferencing and the occasional "where did I park" record keeping.

I'm not sure that it's worth whatever the cost is to add it to the Pyra though.

I don't think cost is the main problem, at least not if it's just a simple webcam. Size is the main problem, and finding a suitable place to put it. The lid is not really an option, at least not for me, because I want the lid to be as thin as possible and filled with screen. It will be tricky to fit extra stuff in the base, because it will already have more buttons than the Pandora and probably speakers too. Maybe in the hinge area?

I don't think cost is the main problem, at least not if it's just a simple webcam. Size is the main problem, and finding a suitable place to put it. The lid is not really an option, at least not for me, because I want the lid to be as thin as possible and filled with screen. It will be tricky to fit extra stuff in the base, because it will already have more buttons than the Pandora and probably speakers too. Maybe in the hinge area?
Maybe the hinge. Did the Pandora lid size bother you?

How about Link as a rear camera and Link as a front camera?
What's your input on this? There's a 8mp too. Of course it's more expensive.

I still think next to the usb3.0 port could be enough space for a very small (8x8mm) camera.

How about puting it on the back next to the battery compartment? We can take photoes by holding Pyra upright, and click the right shoulder button. It's not the most uncomfortable camera ever, since I would take shots with my tablet at times. Making Pyra a bit heavier on bottom side will also help it sit well. 

hmmm ok, sound interessting. but this way you cant see what you are going to photograph.

hmmm ok, sound interessting. but this way you cant see what you are going to photograph.
How about a secret technique originated from Japan called "look through the BIG LCD screen"? (it's not as funny as I hoped, I wish I did not offend you. If I did, please take my apologies)

Seriously, there's no reason to stuff the camera into the lid or in the hinge. _wb_ has commented on the first solution, and there's nothing I would like to add. 

Putting it in the hing is not only unreliable as the hinge tends to break and also it is very much filled in pandora. It would be a nightmare to take it apart and put it back together for ED without him breaking anything. 

When you are taking a photo, you want your lens to stay in place without waving around, there's no better place than on the back since your hands will be holding left and right to it. The only concern then is stopping the lid from turning and smash your fingers. 

If the lid opens 180 degrees then you could.

But such a camera couldn't be used for web chat which, I think, is the primary reason people are even suggesting a camera. Unless I've misunderstood?

The microphone could also be on the back and the camara angle is adjusted by openening the pyra the right amount using the new heavy-duty all-angle hinge, having it standing on base and lid :)

edit: also as an added bonus you don't have to look at the other person in the video chat :)

If the lid opens 180 degrees then you could.

But such a camera couldn't be used for web chat which, I think, is the primary reason people are even suggesting a camera. Unless I've misunderstood?
You are right, I would suggest buying an USB camera for that purpose since all front facing cameras suck.

PS: This is what I don't understand, if I want to take a picture of myself, I'm still forced to either shot the mirror, or turn the phone around and shot like a blind man unless someone asked for a portrait of an uncooked potato in dim light wearing silly paper hat. 

Maybe it's a weird idea for cost reduction, but I could imagine a solution with one camera facing backwards and adjustable mirrors to redirect the camera view towards the user.

Maybe it's a weird idea for cost reduction, but I could imagine a solution with one camera facing backwards and adjustable mirrors to redirect the camera view towards the user.
Actually, picturing that puts a stupid grin on my face. Imagine someone ask you why you are always caught doing web chats in the bathroom in front of the sink mirror. 

There's a dirty joke hidden somewhere.

I guess you could have a tilted front facing camera on the base. A rear facing one can be on the base too. Only problem is, the lid falling and how it would effect AR. You couldn't do AR while it's place on a table.

Just again a picture of my idea. Let's imagine the camera is in the lid and faces backwards.

There is just one mirror to turn around 45°.

WDxvyz3.jpg

Back