Should the opendyslexic font be included by default?

strange... unless the directory for fonts has moved or something in newer firmware...

the font should just install to /usr/share/fonts/truetype/

can you see it in there?

If it's there it should just appear in  Settings > Desktop > Appearance > Fonts

In Firefox in preferences  can change it in the Content tab.

I need to update the file anyway... as there was an update to the font yesterday after I created the PND and I linked to the GPL license rather than CC

Last edited by a moderator:
The font makes me want to self combust, but if it helps people with disabilities im all for it. Space doesnt cost much, and it provides some awareness. Maybe a project could be made to streamline the pandora to the needs of the handicapped. The blind are very much inclined to use real keyboards.

Guess we dont have many on this board since the captcha is so horrid. Needs an audio one.

I'm with comradekingu: to me personally the font looks horrible and I would never use it. But if it really helps people with dyslexia (and from the reactions it seems there are several around here) it should be included, there's no doubt about it! Along with an easy option to activate (there's usually an "Accessibility" option in the settings of any OS for such features ... don't have my Pandora here right now to check what the Pandora already offers in this respect).

Like Android I had no idea such a thing existed. Out of interest, do you know if there is a mono-spaced version which could be used in something like the terminal? I couldn't find one linked from that page, though admittedly I didn't explore it very far.

- Neelix
A Mono-spaced version is now available.

130717_195124.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Are some of these fonts already included in the OS?

Out of honest curiosity: why are these fonts easier to read for people who suffer from dyslexia? I actually find them harder to read (but I don't have the problem). I noticed that the lower part of the letters is more exaggerated, is that what makes it better?

Are some of these fonts already included in the OS?
No it's not in the OS but it's in a PND I uploaded..   if anyone downloaded it a while ago and it didn't work... I fixed it and it should work now.

Out of honest curiosity: why are these fonts easier to read for people who suffer from dyslexia? I actually find them harder to read (but I don't have the problem). I noticed that the lower part of the letters is more exaggerated, is that what makes it better?
From the site:

"OpenDyslexic is created to help with some of the symptoms of dyslexia. Letters have heavy weighted bottoms to indicate direction. You are able to quickly figure out which part of the letter is down which aids in recognizing the correct letter, and sometimes helps to keep your brain from rotating them around. Consistently weighted bottoms can also help reinforce the line of text. The unique shapes of each letter can help prevent confusion through flipping and swapping."

I've been using this font. size 11 and 80 DPI for the last few weeks and it's actually pretty awesome.

The font makes me want to self combust, but if it helps people with disabilities im all for it. Space doesnt cost much, and it provides some awareness. Maybe a project could be made to streamline the pandora to the needs of the handicapped.
Maybe a ramp for wheelchair users?

D.

Back