Silk screening? Different coloured pyra cases? Pyra Speakers?

I think silk screening can be skipped - don't see anyone complaining that its missing on the Pandora.

I think it's a shame it wasn't included on the Pandora, and for a while after I got mine, I kept needing to check the wiki to remember which light meant what, but I'll still buy a Pyra if it didn't have any labelled lights etc.

Silk screening was proposed for the first pandora, but proved difficult since case manufacture wasn't as smooth as one could have hoped. Making sure case manufacture is better this time around, but the lesson should be learnt that adding complexity that isn't integral to the product is jeopardizing the whole schedule for tangible reward. It may be worth it, and it may also be very much more-so not.

It was a special feature proposition for the first batch, instead that was solved by writing it on the sticker underneath the battery, which is comparatively easy.

Writing about the leds in the manual is a better idea i think, also it is more flexible, because you can then later change their values without it differing from the silk-print, which may even be wrong to begin with.

Such printings always can wear out, if a need for labeling the LEDs etc. is there, the labeling could be done as relief right into the Case, at the end this would make an additional (post) production process like silk screening obsolete. :)

Such printings always can wear out, if a need for labeling the LEDs etc. is there, the labeling could be done as relief right into the Case, at the end this would make an additional (post) production process like silk screening obsolete. :)
Not really, because silkscreen looks a lot nicer than a relief.

-God Ginrai

Silk screening start to look ugly when it wears out. Not saying that this will happen onto the Pyra but I prefer the more durable and eternal solutions for such issues. And I'm sure it's cheaper to do right into the mold instead of an extra silk screening pass of the case. ;)

I think we don't really need most of the leds that are currently in the hinge area of the Pandora, or at least not in that spot.

I keep my Pandora always on, so I disabled the power indicator because it is useless.

ED already said that the power-on button will have an RGB led that can be used like we want, e.g. to indicate power and battery status (e.g. by going from green to red depending on how much juice is left, blinking red if it becomes really low).

The two SD card leds are not that important, but they can be useful. However, I think it would make more sense to put them right next to the SD slots, which would make it much more obvious what their meaning is.

The wifi and bluetooth (and on the Pyra maybe also 3G and GPS) indicators don't need leds in my opinion, their status can be indicated on screen. If for some reason (e.g. privacy paranoia) we want hardware indicator leds anyway, then I would put them near or below the physical toggle buttons.

I tend to disagree with you.  I appreciate my power, wifi and bluetooth LEDs and I appreciate being able to see them when the device is closed. I do find it useful to be able to check the status of the machine without opening the lid.

- Neelix

That's not really relevant.  I could open the lid...  but why should I if a quick glance tells me what I need to know?

The point is that this is an existing feature of the Pandora that I value, and  I'd rather not lose it in the successor.

- Neelix

That's not really relevant.  I could open the lid...  but why should I if a quick glance tells me what I need to know?

The point is that this is an existing feature of the Pandora that I value, and  I'd rather not lose it in the successor.

- Neelix
Sorry, that was more directed at him. Anyway, I see where you are coming from.

Sounds similar to another thread.

As I mentioned, you can open the lid for that.
;)
I'm not sure if that quip is directed at me or _wb_. If it is directed at _wb_, then it is indeed spot on, since _wb_ was against opening the lid for something like listening to the speakers, but for something a user might do more often, like checking to make sure that they don't have wifi and bluetooth on, or even checking to see if the battery is at an acceptable level, he suggests opening the lid.

I wasn't going to point out that he was shooting himself in the foot w/ that comment, but since you've already brought it up, I figured I'd elaborate on it. :)

-God Ginrai

I wasn't going to point out that he was shooting himself in the foot w/ that comment, but since you've already brought it up, I figured I'd elaborate on it. :)

-God Ginrai
It was actually directed at you, since you liked his post, because you were so against speakers on the outside, but not the LEDs. By the same token, a user might use the speakers more often. Quite frankly, I would take the speakers over the LEDs.
Both you are kind of shooting yourselves in the foot.

It was actually directed at you, since you liked his post, because you were so against speakers on the outside, but not the LEDs. By the same token, a user might use the speakers more often. Quite frankly, I would take the speakers over the LEDs.

Both you are kind of shooting yourselves in the foot.
While I admit that I agreed with a reason to have something on the outside, but that is because opening to check all of those statuses would happen a lot more often than say, opening it because you were going to listen to the speakers.

-God Ginrai

While I admit that I agreed with a reason to have something on the outside, but that is because opening to check all of those statuses would happen a lot more often than say, opening it because you were going to listen to the speakers.

-God Ginrai
I think that depends how much someone listens to music,use their alarm,make calls, etc.

-God Ginrai
I think that depends how much someone listens to music,use their alarm,make calls, etc.
Honestly, it doesn't. For addition of features, we need to be talking about the average, not just one person. The average user would check their battery life much more often than they would open the handheld to use the speakers. It's like checking the time, it's something people do a lot. The same could even be said for cell phones, people would check their battery life much more often than they would send a text.

-God Ginrai

Honestly, it doesn't. For addition of features, we need to be talking about the average, not just one person. The average user would check their battery life much more often than they would open the handheld to use the speakers. It's like checking the time, it's something people do a lot. The same could even be said for cell phones, people would check their battery life much more often than they would send a text.

-God Ginrai
I was speaking in generally. How would you know the "average" of people who would use the outside speakers?Plus, a large amount will use those speakers, so speaking additional feature wise,it wouldn't be a problem.
You are arguing that people check their devices than actually using it.

-God Ginrai
I was speaking in generally. How would you know the "average" of people who would use the outside speakers?Plus, a large amount will use those speakers, so speaking additional feature wise,it wouldn't be a problem.
You are arguing that people check their devices than actually using it.
No, I'm arguing that people check their devices more often than using it for a small edge-case. And I can confidently make this claim due to the fact that checking the battery is one of the most common taks that someone will perform with their electronic device.

-God Ginrai

I don't constantly check the wifi/bluetooth status of my Pandora because when I toggle it, I tend to remember that I did that. I also don't constantly check the power status because I never turn it off. The externally visible battery status is somewhat useful to me, and so are the SD read/write leds.

"Just open the lid" is an option for status leds -- it may be slightly annoying, but you don't really lose anything because inspecting the status leds is not really an activity in itself that you can do hours per day.

I think speakers on the outside has advantages that allow new functionality. If you use it as an alarm, you want to hear the alarm also when the device is in your pocket or lying somewhere with the lid closed. "Just open the lid" is not really an option. If you intend to use it like a phone, it would be nice if you can hold it to your ear like a normal phone (it would look like a very thick cellphone, but still more or less normal), and not like an opened up mini-laptop (this would look very silly). If you want to listen to music or radio using the built-in speakers, you don't need the screen so in order to save battery life you may want to close the lid

This is not very important to me, I'm just saying it is an option to consider, especially if there's a lack of space at the top of the base (e.g. because of the extra keys and action buttons).

Back