Silk screening? Different coloured pyra cases? Pyra Speakers?

I don't constantly check the wifi/bluetooth status of my Pandora because when I toggle it, I tend to remember that I did that. I also don't constantly check the power status because I never turn it off. The externally visible battery status is somewhat useful to me, and so are the SD read/write leds.

"Just open the lid" is an option for status leds -- it may be slightly annoying, but you don't really lose anything because inspecting the status leds is not really an activity in itself that you can do hours per day.
That's easy for you to say,  but since you don't care about being able to check the status of your device that doesn't really count for much.  You dismiss the feature because you don't use it, but that doesn't mean it has no value.

- Neelix

I don't constantly check the wifi/bluetooth status of my Pandora because when I toggle it, I tend to remember that I did that. I also don't constantly check the power status because I never turn it off. The externally visible battery status is somewhat useful to me, and so are the SD read/write leds.

"Just open the lid" is an option for status leds -- it may be slightly annoying, but you don't really lose anything because inspecting the status leds is not really an activity in itself that you can do hours per day.
That's easy for you to say,  but since you don't care about being able to check the status of your device that doesn't really count for much.  You dismiss the feature because you don't use it, but that doesn't mean it has no value.

- Neelix
I am not dismissing the feature, I'm just pointing out that it may be less problematic to have to open the lid to inspect, say, wifi/bluetooth status, than it is to have to open the lid to hear an alarm or hear the ringtone for an incoming call.

I daresay that is true. However since speaker placement is completely irrelevant to my point that is of no importance whatsoever.

- Neelix

I daresay that is true. However since speaker placement is completely irrelevant to my point that is of no importance whatsoever.

- Neelix
Yes, it is irrelevant to your point, but it is not irrelevant to God Ginrai's point, which is that speakers should be on the inside (because you can "just open the lid") while status leds should be visible on the outside (because opening the lid is too much effort for something you have to do that often).

If you ask me, ideally both the status leds and the speakers would be on the outside. I would move the status leds to the front though, because their current location is distractingly close to the screen (and will be even more so if the screen gets less bezel). And personally I could live without some of them, but that's just me.

SD card status leds right next to the SD slots would be cool in my opinion - it reminds me of those old dual-floppy computers where the floppy drives also had an indicator light. It would be a nice retro touch, and it makes more sense too (more intuitive position).

Yes, it is irrelevant to your point, but it is not irrelevant to God Ginrai's point, which is that speakers should be on the inside (because you can "just open the lid") while status leds should be visible on the outside (because opening the lid is too much effort for something you have to do that often).
Yes, this would add use for an alarm or similar. My point wasn't that it did not add functionality. Obviously it does. My point was simply that it is a much less commonly used feature than checking battery status. (and other statuses) Checking the status is a feature, too. I was pointing out that checking the status is a feature that happens much more often, and as such is more deserving of the outside leds than the outside speakers were.

-God Ginrai

Yes, this would add use for an alarm or similar. My point wasn't that it did not add functionality. Obviously it does. My point was simply that it is a much less commonly used feature than checking battery status. (and other statuses) Checking the status is a feature, too. I was pointing out that checking the status is a feature that happens much more often, and as such is more deserving of the outside leds than the outside speakers were.

-God Ginrai
Well of course on the Pandora externally visible status leds are more commonly used than outside speakers, because the Pandora has the former but not the latter. But why is that relevant? 3G is also not a commonly used feature on the Pandora, and neither are the second pair of shoulder buttons. Should we scrap those too then for the Pyra?

-God Ginrai
 Well of course on the Pandora externally visible status leds are more commonly used than outside speakers, because the Pandora has the former but not the latter. But why is that relevant? 3G is also not a commonly used feature on the Pandora, and neither are the second pair of shoulder buttons. Should we scrap those too then for the Pyra?
Also, I was not talking about specifically on the Pandora. I'm talking about mobile devices in general. People check the time and battery more often then they do most anything else on their mobile devices.

I only am against the extra speakers because I believe there is no room for them, and I do not see your suggestion of putting the regular speakers on the side as a viable option. If it can be proven that there is room for outer speakers that do not replace or interfere with the current speakers on the inside, or other features, then I am perfectly willing to entertain the concept.

-God Ginrai

Also, I was not talking about specifically on the Pandora. I'm talking about mobile devices in general. People check the time and battery more often then they do most anything else on their mobile devices.
[citation needed]

Anyway, I see your point that having outside speakers instead of inside speakers could be harmful for the sound quality (when used as a handheld with the lid open), and having extra outside speakers on top of the inside speakers would take up too much space. I agree that we probably don't have room for four speakers, but I'm not sure about the necessity to put them inside to get the best sound quality. And I personally would think it is acceptable to trade a little lid-open sound quality for a lot of lid-closed sound quality.

For alarms and the like, the speakers can just sound through the case (albeit a little muffled)

For real audio (music, etc) you need proper speakers or headphones.

I would very much like a way to check radio status, battery life, etc without opening the lid - with LEDs, an external screen, or whatever

And I personally would think it is acceptable to trade a little lid-open sound quality for a lot of lid-closed sound quality.
The only time I use headphones with a handheld gaming device is when I need to be courteous to those around me. Otherwise, I am using the speakers for gaming. If this device can't even function properly as a gaming device, then there's little point for me in even owning one.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're all getting far too wrapped up in what kind of 'sound quality' you're going to get from a pair of ~10mm drivers in a volume compressed plastic case.

The 'speakers' could face front off of the lower edge and move the SD cards to one or both sides.

The 'speakers' could be in the base by the hinges with louvers to direct the sound forward.

The 'speakers' could be south of the game pads and radiate out through little holes.

Any way you stick little speaker elements in a little case they're going to be 'adequate' for gaming noises and pretty disappointing for music.

I think you're all getting far too wrapped up in what kind of 'sound quality' you're going to get from a pair of ~10mm drivers in a volume compressed plastic case.

The 'speakers' could face front off of the lower edge and move the SD cards to one or both sides.

The 'speakers' could be in the base by the hinges with louvers to direct the sound forward.

The 'speakers' could be south of the game pads and radiate out through little holes.

Any way you stick little speaker elements in a little case they're going to be 'adequate' for gaming noises and pretty disappointing for music.
No

Yes

What?

I can't comment for music, but I can guarantee that there are inadequate ways for gaming noises.

-God Ginrai

Surely most people play with the game controls' face of the device (and the screen) facing towards them?

It doesn't make sense to put the speakers facing down where the SD slots currently are.

*Turns 3ds' speakers pointing down. Hears no difference.

Surely you can angle them to bounce the sound up.

Surely you can angle them to bounce the sound up.
If you did that, you would have to have your screen open at a 90 degree angle while you use it. This is a very uncomfortable position to hold the device, the hinge would become strained while it tried to keep the screen at that angle, due to the forces of gravity acting down on the screen.

-God Ginrai

If you did that, you would have to have your screen open at a 90 degree angle while you use it.

-God Ginrai
I'm sorry, but that just isn't true. Isn't like you always have the speakers directly at youwhen it's in the lid.

Plus, like I said, the sound is just fine if just pointed down.

I'm sorry, but that just isn't true. Isn't like you always have the speakers directly at you

when it's in the lid.
Umm.. Yea, it is. The speakers in the Pandora and the 3DS are on the same plane as the screen. If you point the screen at you, you're pointing the speakers at you.

Plus, like I said, the sound is just fine if just pointed down.
No it's not. You ruin any kind of directional sound. And not only that, but you have to make it louder to hear it at the same volume as it was when pointed towards you. Thus, you are more likely to bother those around you.

-God Ginrai

Umm.. Yea, it is. The speakers in the Pandora and the 3DS are on the same plane as the screen. If you point the screen at you, you're pointing the speakers at you.

-God Ginrai
The speakers pointing up at an angle with the way I'm holding it. As if I was just holding aregular controller.

No it's not. You ruin any kind of directional sound. And not only that, but you have to make it louder to hear it at the same volume as it was when pointed towards you. Thus, you are more likely to bother those around you.

-God Ginrai
I have the 3ds in my hand right now and Idk what you are talking about.Wait,now I see what you are talking about, but my point about the speakers at a angle still

stands.

-God Ginrai
The speakers pointing up at an angle with the way I'm holding it. As if I was just holding aregular controller.
You hold your controllers parallel with the ground? Because otherwise, the screen and speakers would be tilted towards your face.

-God Ginrai

You hold your controllers parallel with the ground? Because otherwise, the screen and speakers would be tilted towards your face.

-God Ginrai
No. Nor do I hold it upright. Just saying that having to hold it "90 degree angle" isn't true.

Back