Silk screening? Different coloured pyra cases? Pyra Speakers?

You hold your controllers parallel with the ground? Because otherwise, the screen and speakers would be tilted towards your face.

-God Ginrai
No. Nor do I hold it upright. Just saying that having to hold it "90 degree angle" isn't true.
No, that's not what I said. I said the screen would be at a 90 degree angle.

If you had the speakers pointing out from the base of the device, to be able to point the speakers towards your head, you would need to hold the handheld at an angle that slopes downward away from you. (about 45 degrees)

Like this: \

So to see the screen, you need to tilt it up as well. The best viewing angle would be at 90 degrees from the base. In other words, perpendicular to the base.

Something kind of like this: \_

In that position, gravity will be applying a downward force on the screen that will cause excess stress to the hinge.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:

If you had the speakers pointing out from the base of the device, to be able to point the speakers towards your head, you would need to hold the handheld at an angle that slopes downward away from you. (about 45 degrees)

So to see the screen, you need to tilt it up as well. The best viewing angle would be at 90 degrees from the base. In other words, perpendicular to the base.

In that position, gravity will be applying a downward force on the screen that will cause excess stress to the hinge.

-God Ginrai
I don't think understand what I'm saying.

\_(/)

(/)=  Sound at a diagonal/slant.

If the sound/speakers is bounce, titled, angled etc. upward, why would it needed to be hold on to like that?

-God Ginrai
I don't think understand what I'm saying.
\_(/)

(/)=  Sound at a diagonal/slant.

If the sound/speakers is bounce, titled, angled etc. upward, why would it needed to be hold on to like that?
I don't understand your diagram at all.

-God Ginrai

Ok, I think I see what you are getting at. However, I don't see that being feasible. Those speakers would be right in the way of the SD slots. Even if it wasn't, it would create a gap between the base and the top where something could get in and damage the screen.

Also, this is just me, but I prefer my sound to come from the thing I'm looking at. I honestly don't even like the idea that everyone is so fond of about moving the speakers to the top of the base instead of surrounding the screen.

-God Ginrai

Also, this is just me, but I prefer my sound to come from the thing I'm looking at. I honestly don't even like the idea that everyone is so fond of about moving the speakers to the top of the base instead of surrounding the screen.
I think most of us don't particularly want to move the speakers, but we do want a larger screen without making the device larger. Also a screen with less bezel around it would look nicer and more modern.

My suggestion was to make the speakers point outwards somehow, so we don't have to take away area from the top of the base (we can use all the area we can get for the planned extra keyboard keys/controls), and so the built-in speakers are more useful in lid-closed situations.

Of course you're going to get the best audio quality with speakers that are pointed at your ears. That's why you put headphones around your ears and not around your feet. But a handheld device is about making compromises: you can't have a 21" screen, you can't have a full-size keyboard, and you can't have real speakers.

When do you use built-in speakers? In environments with lots of background noise, you'll use headphones or external speakers anyway. When you need excellent sound quality, you'll also not use the built-in speakers. So when are built-in speakers good enough?

• games with some sound effects that are not essential
  • listening to a radio show or youtube video or something like that
  • alarms, incoming mail/sms/whatever notifications
  • making a phone call
  • listening to music if you don't care much about quality
  • you didn't bring headphones so it'll have to do
The advantage of outside pointing speakers is that they aren't muffled when you close the lid. Closing the lid means more battery life (no screen), pocketability, looking better if you hold it like a phone, and being mechanically stronger in case of accidental drops etc.

The advantage of inside speakers is that they can be aimed better in the direction of the user -- assuming it's a single user who holds the device like a handheld (which is of course the normal use case).

When ive closed the lid is when im for sure using headphones. Besides, the inherrent thiele/small characteristics of a handheld like this means its very irrelevant where the speakers face, so long as the front wave is reaching your ears unobfuscated.

Using the keyboard plane as a baffle means you lose out on some high end fidelity, but this lowpass filter in relation to your ears isnt a problem, because it matches better with the bottom end if you do, which is to say there is none. If you want any bottom register, trancducer/rumble is two sides to a equation that doesnt really mean you solve the problem.

Where inbuilt speakers are ok, and can do a decent job, that they are the best option for, is speech reproduction. Your online video type ordeal for when you want to share that experience.

TL;DR Headphones is the continuation of the argument sound closer to your ears, being better quality, and costing less power.

I think most of us don't particularly want to move the speakers, but we do want a larger screen without making the device larger. Also a screen with less bezel around it would look nicer and more modern.
I honestly have a hard time believing that. Many of the people I saw speak in favor of having the speakers in the base did so because they wanted no bezel around the screen, and having speakers on either side made it more likely there would be a bezel.

Also, what you described may be when you use built-in speakers vs headphones, but in my case, (and a lot of people I know) I tend to use the built-in speakers whenever it would not be a problem for the people around me. I tend to eschew wearing headphones and earphones when I can use the built-in speakers.

-God Ginrai

I honestly have a hard time believing that. Many of the people I saw speak in favor of having the speakers in the base did so because they wanted no bezel around the screen, and having speakers on either side made it more likely there would be a bezel.
I don't understand what it is you don't believe. What's the difference between what I said and what you said?

Ok, I think I see what you are getting at. However, I don't see that being feasible. Those speakers would be right in the way of the SD slots. Even if it wasn't, it would create a gap between the base and the top where something could get in and damage the screen.

-God Ginrai
We can move the phones jack and the power button. So, you can tilt the speakers back without creating a gap?

-God Ginrai
I not even pushing for these to be the main speakers. The best scenario would be both.
I really don't think that's going to help with bezel because we still want it wide enough

to fit 6 buttons.

-God Ginrai
I not even pushing for these to be the main speakers. The best scenario would be both.

I really don't think that's going to help with bezel because we still want it wide enough

to fit 6 buttons.
ED does not want to make the Pyra more than 1 or 2 mm wider than the Pandora. He also wants to use a 5" 16:9 screen, which is quite a bit wider than the current 4.3" 15:9 screen. The idea is also that the new lid would be thinner than before. That leaves no room for speakers in the lid.

ED does not want to make the Pyra more than 1 or 2 mm wider than the Pandora. He also wants to use a 5" 16:9 screen, which is quite a bit wider than the current 4.3" 15:9 screen. The idea is also that the new lid would be thinner than before. That leaves no room for speakers in the lid.
Would it really be so thin that speakers wouldn't fit? I can't imagine that being the case.

Would it really be so thin that speakers wouldn't fit? I can't imagine that being the case.
The major problem is that the screen is probably too large to fit the speakers there. Out of the ~140mm in width, 110mm will go to the screen[1]. This means you have ~15mm on each side for the speakers, minus case. That's quite a lot less than the 25mm (minus case) that the pandora has.

And since the lid is thinner than pandora's lid, you also can't build with much depth. So you can't really fit anything in there, except maybe a phone speaker. 

Maybe we can move the leds that are on the hinge and put the speakers there.

I don't understand what it is you don't believe. What's the difference between what I said and what you said?
 You said "Most of us don't want to move the speakers". That's what I don't believe. The comments I've seen in this forum make me feel like I'm in the minority by wanting my speakers on either side of the screen.

-God Ginrai
We can move the phones jack and the power button. So, you can tilt the speakers back without creating a gap?
 Where are you going to move them to?

-God Ginrai

to fit 6 buttons.
Well, if you see what I mentioned before, I said that I have no problem including extra speakers as long as they don't cause problems for the positioning of quality of the main ones. I just don't think that EvilDragon is going to put a second set of speakers in the device.

-God Ginrai

You said "Most of us don't want to move the speakers". That's what I don't believe. The comments I've seen in this forum make me feel like I'm in the minority by wanting my speakers on either side of the screen.
I think that's because they don't want the system even wider and apparently there isn't enough room.

They don't just wanted it moved for no reason.

Where are you going to move them to?
Well, the phones jack more to the left and the power switch is just going be a button on the base, right?

Well, if you see what I mentioned before, I said that I have no problem including extra speakers as long as they don't cause problems for the positioning of quality of the main ones. I just don't think that EvilDragon is going to put a second set of speakers in the device.

-God Ginrai
I don't either, but I'm going to remain vocal anyway. :p

I said: "I think most of us don't particularly want to move the speakers, but we do want a larger screen without making the device larger."

Most of us are not especially against having speakers in the lid, but we need the lid area for the screen itself. Obviously that implies that the speakers have to move. Moving the speakers is not a goal in itself for most of us though.

I said: "I think most of us don't particularly want to move the speakers, but we do want a larger screen without making the device larger."

Most of us are not especially against having speakers in the lid, but we need the lid area for the screen itself. Obviously that implies that the speakers have to move. Moving the speakers is not a goal in itself for most of us though.
Yes, and my point was that the reason that most people wanted the speakers out of the lid had nothing to do with the screen size and everything to do with hating bezel. Of course there were some that cared about screen size, and even some who said it was better electronically to mount them onto the PCB, but most that I saw seemed to care more about having no bezel than anything else.

-God Ginrai

Actually, speakers angle up can work for the sides too. They can be place nearer to the triggers

so our hands are less likely to block/muffle them.

Yes, and my point was that the reason that most people wanted the speakers out of the lid had nothing to do with the screen size and everything to do with hating bezel.
Except that it has nothing to do with "hating bezel"  It's just a matter of practicality.  The width of the screen is increasing,  the width of the device is not increasing. (not more than a few millimetres anyway)   That means there will be little room for speakers in the lid. 

I don't really give a shit about bezel either way...   (I also never pictured this as a bezel-less device, especially given that the touch screen is going to be a resistive one)

- Neelix

Back