Silk screening? Different coloured pyra cases? Pyra Speakers?

Wrath Of Khan

Soul soother...
Should we have silk screening this time?

I would like a variety of case colours if possible, two or three perhaps. I guess the little gap to put a holding cord should stay.

Can anyone think of any other little touches that might be nice?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Silk Screening, different color cases with a gloss coat on them would be great. I don't care what other people say.. Glossy is the best as it protects our cases from cracks and looks awesome.

Oh and not having to repair the device every few months would be good :p

people asking for different color cases ignore the fact that it requires new mold testing and potentially another mold since the color pigments impact the way the platic shapes during molding. thats why even large manufacturers only do a couple of colors per product.

Glossy is the best
You'll be the one cleaning the fingerprints off my Pyra then. :p
Clean your own filthy Pyra :p

people asking for different color cases ignore the fact that it requires new mold testing and potentially another mold since the color pigments impact the way the platic shapes during molding. thats why even large manufacturers only do a couple of colors per product.
I guess but surely at least a white case could be possible so we can mix and match? :)  

How about using a mixed up random assortment of recycled plastic beads forced through the molds to yield mat cases with vibrant swirls and squishes and color changes throughout. No two alike. Essentially tie dyed cases. No paint, maybe a gloss/protective layer to make it pop?

Now THAT is retro.

You could always have a case 3D printed in the color you want, seeing since the design files will be available.
3d case finish quality is very far from actual mold quality.
You can get very high quality cases professionally printed these days, I wasn't talking about those home extrusion printers. I'm sure the quality will be good enough for a lot of people.

They also enable you to do some amazing things that a mold can't do.

You can get very high quality cases professionally printed these days
There's still a couple of reason why everything you buy out is made with molds and not 3d printers. And quality is still going to remain a key issue, because there's no way you get the same quality of material printing layer by layer instead of melting plastic at high temperature and pressure through a big chunk of metal mold. Anybody who pretends otherwise is out of their mind. It does not even come close.

Of course, 3d printing has other advantages, but certainly not price/quality or anything closely related to that. To make highly custom parts, however, it certainly has a role to play.

I mentioned it as a way for people to get cases made in the color they want, no it's not going to get the exact same finish as molds. But as you yourself said, ED is unlikely to have other colors made, that's why I mentioned 3D printing as it's really the only other alternative other than painting them. As for what finish is good enough for people, my point is that' it's up to each individual, for a lot , a professionally 3D printed case probably will be fine.

I wasn't suggesting ED use 3D printing by the way, I think this is where there's confusion, I was suggesting people could do it themselves via a professional 3D printer , then change the case over.

I want a glued on layer of thin wine red velvet on the outside of my Pyra, silk doesn't have enough grip.

(Yes, I know that you didn't mean this.)

What about embossing lettering/symbols  into the case, and then filling the hollow areas with paint/similar.

that would prevent the paint from wearing off.

I think it would be interesting to do multiple colours, if it doesn't require multiple moulds. Perhaps do a different colour for each batch of something.

Perhaps  even some parts could be done in one colour and some in another, so the case would be black with red highlights or something?

Gloss finish?

No. No. No. Nopety-No!

Why would I want to see fingerprints all over the case? Or bright reflections of the ceiling above me?

I'd like the letters/symbols filled gloss, against a matte case... Matte black case with white or black gloss touches.

...I'll take it as it comes though :)

Back