Sinclair Spectrum Book - 200 Games Featured

I ordered my copy last week, hope it will be there when I get back to Germany!

But you 'waiters' should know that there is a limited print run, 1000 copies, and that the author, who is very active the retro gamer boards seems to think that the 1000 books are almost through....

Mine was sent on the 6th Feb. It should be downstairs in my Post Box, waiting for me....

Received mine. Thoughts:

As you've probably realised if you looked at the advert (although somehow I missed it) the book is in the shape and rough size of the original rubber key Speccy. Which for me was a nice surprise - doh now ruined that :D

Firstly, its ordered chronologically which is an great choice as you can work your way through a timeline of games.

Each game has a single page, and at first I was a little disappointed as that wouldn't give enough detail for each game. But actually it works well - there is enough info to give the basic details of the game, plus some 'interesting trivia'. Its just enough to interest me enough to fire up the games. And although 'only' a page per game, that is actually an awful lot of writting - this really must have been a labour of love to complete. It also lists mag scores for most of the games (although no magazine text).

The choice of games is obviously arbitary but certainly includes plenty I didn't know about, which I was pleasantly surprised about.

So overall 9/10. It was great to have a foreward by Clive, but I was hoping for something a bit longer than what he wrote (obviously not the authors fault) and in an 'ideal' book some of the 'at the time' magazine reviews in conjunction with the authors reviews would be great - but probably copyright issues.

If you had a Speccy (or even mistakenly had a C64) then I recommend trying to catch one of the remaining copies.

As ever, the C64 one will be better than the Spectrum one. :D

Just wait till playtime, then you're in trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back