Release skype on pandora

64vm4n

Still Fresh
I think it would be great to be able to call people on skype with a pandora

is anyone working on making a version. is it possible, it was put on a psp

Skype uses a closed source client and a closed protocol. There will not be Skype on the Pandora, but there are other open source VOIP programs which may be ported.

HAHA! After reading this post you had me worried for a moment, I've been planning on having skype on there. It haden't occurred to me they'd be closed source... I don't know why... Anyways, I may have found a way, strike that, I'm fairly sure I found an EASY way.

Skype was released for the nokia n800. Not only is the n800 ARM architecture, it's an older OMAP! Being a 2420 vs. the pandora's 3530. Not only that, but the OS the n800 runs is based on linux, furthermore, debian linux at that. The current full variant of linux running on the pandora being ubuntu, also based on debian.

If this doesn't work out of the box, or with a little help via a wrapper or something I'd be shocked.

This skype package can be dowloaded from: http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-nokiatablet

Given the .install file isn't precisely a .deb, I'm still sure this is doable. Perhaps they will consider porting it over properly considering their work is already mostly done... I won't hold my breath though.

EDIT: Hmmm, the ".install" file is only 169 bytes, likely instructions on how to download the actual package and install it... yes indeed, it contains:
[install]
catalogues = nokia-certified
package = skype

[nokia-certified]
name = Nokia Catalogue
uri = http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com/certified/
components = user

following the url, after a little searching yields what we are looking for. Skype .deb packages. go to pool, (bora, chinook, or diablo), user, s. Here you will find the Skype packages.

Can't wait for my pandora so I can just test stuff instead of thinking about it!

I agree with Loswave, it's not out of the question to get Skype running. In any case I'm interested in getting a Pandora installation that is compatible with maemo on a binary application level, and if that works out then Skype can run.

It won't necessarily run under Ångstrøm, even if Ångstrøm also uses ARMEL (I know very little about Ångstrøm. Must start reading up.), due to possibly different versions of libc and other libraries.

(This version of) Skype uses 'alsa' sound btw, or at least I think so, so support for that (or whatever sound system it uses) is needed in the kernel. It doesn't support video, which is one hassle less to worry about.

I pre-ordered a Pandora and would also love to see skype run on it. I think tor and loswave are on to something. wouldn't it be possible to make a compatibility layer to run maemo programs? if we could, we'd not only get skype but also flash 9 and the palm os emulator, garnet vm. I hope somebody works on that because having those programs would be so awesome.

Still. Skype is a closed source protocol. Why would anyone in the world want a handheld based on open source want a closed source progam. Listen to PoisenedV! Think people!

I'm pretty sure that's for x86

disjfa said:
Still. Skype is a closed source protocol. Why would anyone in the world want a handheld based on open source want a closed source progam. Listen to PoisenedV! Think people!
Because Skype has a userbase that can't be matched by that of any other OSS VoIP program?

disjfa said:

Ohhhh how low we feel using dirty filthy closed source apps. Yucky.

Makes me wonder why you'd even want to run emulators of COMMERCIAL, CLOSED SOURCE systems? And load into them all those nasty CLOSED SOURCE ROMs

And all that being displayed through a CLOSED SOURCE video driver.

Yukk. Pandora is icky.

Pleng said:
disjfa said:

Ohhhh how low we feel using dirty filthy closed source apps. Yucky.

Makes me wonder why you'd even want to run emulators of COMMERCIAL, CLOSED SOURCE systems? And load into them all those nasty CLOSED SOURCE ROMs

And all that being displayed through a CLOSED SOURCE video driver.

Yukk. Pandora is icky.
that was the worst combination of analogies and capitalization I have ever seen,

He has a point, though. Just because it's closed-source doesn't mean it's evil. It's still OK to want it, especially for very practical reasons. :p

PoisonV's idea is all well and good, except with mumbling you end up talking to yourself, because no one can hear you. ;)

Than buy a computer and compute. Do what every one else does. If you want to follow trend. You shouldn`t buy a pandora couse there are only 4thousand or so peaple who want it. That`s not trend.

I assume you're talking to me with that response because of what I said. Am I right? If so, I want the Pandora because it should do what it's supposed to do well. With VoIP software, I also want it to do what it does well, which is let me talk to people. I can't talk to people who don't use the software I use. So, if I want to be able to talk with people, I'd want to use the program people use, not the one nobody has ever even heard of. I don't want someone to ask me "Hey, what's your skype username?" and have to tell them "Oh, I use <program X>. You have to get that to talk to me!" That person isn't going to go download program X, they're going to decide I'm not worth talking to. Not to mention a good deal of OSS is not designed with a high usability interface in mind. Sure the GIMP is just as powerful as Photoshop, but I'm not going to touch it because the interface is terrible. Repeat for OOo vs Office, Pidgin vs Some IM software (I'll admit most of these programs don't even seem to be designed with usability, and are more designed for how many ads can be thrown in your face).

PoisonedV said:
that was the worst combination of analogies and capitalization I have ever seen,

You really do have 'small man complex', don't you? Check your SPAM folder, there are bound to be plenty of emails in there offering various solutions.

javaJake said:
He has a point, though. Just because it's closed-source doesn't mean it's evil. It's still OK to want it, especially for very practical reasons.

Exactly. Many closed source apps are very good at what they do. That's because a dedicated, targeted team of people spend large amounts of time developing the software and are financially rewarded for doing so.

My main point, however, is that most Pandoras will laden with closed source items. And *all* Pandoras will have closed source drivers. So buying a Pandora is not a good idea if you really intend to be a self-appointed OpenSource Cop (OSPD?)

Pleng said:
PoisonedV said:

You really do have 'small man complex', don't you? Check your SPAM folder, there are bound to be plenty of emails in there offering various solutions.
Am I the only one who see's the irony right there? no?

(ps. i have troll complex, look it up)

Pleng said:
javaJake said:
He has a point, though. Just because it's closed-source doesn't mean it's evil. It's still OK to want it, especially for very practical reasons.

Exactly. Many closed source apps are very good at what they do. That's because a dedicated, targeted team of people spend large amounts of time developing the software and are financially rewarded for doing so.

My main point, however, is that most Pandoras will laden with closed source items. And *all* Pandoras will have closed source drivers. So buying a Pandora is not a good idea if you really intend to be a self-appointed OpenSource Cop (OSPD?)
There is a huge difference between binary drivers and proprietary communications protocols. The fact that skype is closed source and based on proprietary protocols means we're pretty much screwed right now. So how can it not be evil?

A binary blob-driver won't really make that much of a difference in the long run, as long as we're supporting open api's (like opengl es, etc).

If people actually bothered to think about it while running it on their pc, and chose to use something open instead we wouln't have this problem now. But for some reason most people are to lazy to care, as long as things are working for them, and that's just sad IMO...

teppic said:
If people actually bothered to think about it while running it on their pc, and chose to use something open instead we wouln't have this problem now. But for some reason most people are to lazy to care, as long as things are working for them, and that's just sad IMO...
No, that's just human. More people use skype because skype is free (or very cheap, for their paid services), and it just plain works for >99% of computer users. The staggering majority of people don't care how something works, just so long as it does, and there's no reason they should care.

Google hasn't opened-sourced their search algorithms, and they never will. Has this stopped you from using Google search?

Chip said:
teppic said:
No, that's just human. More people use skype because skype is free (or very cheap, for their paid services), and it just plain works for >99% of computer users. The staggering majority of people don't care how something works, just so long as it does, and there's no reason they should care.

Google hasn't opened-sourced their search algorithms, and they never will. Has this stopped you from using Google search?
I think a lot of people care about open source for the wrong reasons, they don't care about actually better software, knowing what they are using, or actually owning it or anything, seems like a lot are just anti capitalism...

Chip said:
No, and the reason for that is that google uses well defined open standards for communication. That is why i can choose whatever OS and web browser I like to access their services.

Back