Slogans, Native Language, and Dialect

Are you a native English speaker? Do you like "Take the controls" for the Pandora?

• I am a native (first language) English speaker, and I like this slogan.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • I am a native (first language) English speaker, and I don't much like this slogan.

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • I am a non-native (second or later language) English speaker, and I like this slogan.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • I am a non-native (second or later language) English speaker, and I don't much like this slogan.

Votes: 8 36.4%

• Total voters

diligentcircle

Website
onpon4.github.io
Not exactly a new topic, but I've kind of been wondering about the support for "Take the controls" as a slogan for the Pandora. To me, this phrase sounds forced and awkward for what it's trying to say ("take the controls" suggests to me operating a vehicle or something similar), so I wonder if there's any correlation between whether people are native English speakers and whether they think this phrase sounds good, or if perhaps there is a connection between dialect and opinion of this slogan.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a crazy poll! As far as the slogan goes, I don't like or dislike it.

Is this the thread to post slogans, or is there another one here already?

As I've said before: "Take control" sounds so much better. This comes from a Norwegian.

Alternatively, you could also add "again" to the end, to remind people of the (g)olden days of no DRM and the customer being in charge.

Poll biased, tl;dr, etc.

Kidding. :)

Good thoughts, the phrase "take the controls" seems a natural choice to me because it concisely encapsulates the aspect of the Pandora that sets it most apart from other handhelds -- built-in gaming controls. I hadn't considered the difference in English speakers' perceptions, if there indeed exists one as a pattern.

My analysis:

"Take the controls" conjures the imagery of a powerful machine in front of you that is revolutionary or rare, and in a class of its own. It's a saying that evokes feelings of great privilege and honor, or perhaps lust over advanced tech or untapped power. The statement itself is concrete, stating "Here are the controls to this new machine that is yours now" in not so many words. The concept is clear in what it means, though not specific, but coupled with images of the Pandora it tells the user in no uncertain terms what the Open Pandora has that their cell phone doesn't (physical controls).

"Take control" has indeed been mentioned before, and I think that while it does emphasize on power, its message is ambiguous and therefore less convincing. "Control" in its abstract form leaves open the interpretations of physical or ideological, such as taking control of the handheld, the software, or your life. While these multiple meanings may all be true, the observer of this phrase I think doesn't get a clear message on what precisely is being said, and the phrase loses some thrust as a result. It's like those domain names that have sitters, and the webpage has a bunch of random ads with the slogan "what you need, when you need it". Ambiguous, and therefore not very attention-grabbing.

So the two phrases are both good IMHO, but the one emphasizing physical interaction via "the controls" wins out because it is unequivocal in its meaning. BUT English is my first and only language, so...

("take the controls" suggests to me operating a vehicle or something similar)

Thats the point :)

to me "take control" sounds like "buying a pandora will give you ultimate dominion over humanity"

where "take the controls" sound more like "heres a complicated machine, and you're in charge of it"

Has anyone considered the difference bettween a slogan

1. describing the product
  2. describing the way the company works

?

"take control again" could be nice - and could refer to the iCP series too - possibly sounds too negative (the implication that the customer lost something a long time isn't good) the product should sound new and exciting...

Poll does look biased, though

("take the controls" suggests to me operating a vehicle or something similar)

Thats the point :)

to me "take control" sounds like "buying a pandora will give you ultimate dominion over humanity"

where "take the controls" sound more like "heres a complicated machine, and you're in charge of it"

Has anyone considered the difference bettween a slogan

1. describing the product

2. describing the way the company works

?

"take control again" could be nice - and could refer to the iCP series too - possibly sounds too negative (the implication that the customer lost something a long time isn't good) the product should sound new and exciting...

Poll does look biased, though

I've voted and I don't like the "Take the controls". I don't see how it focuses on the Open Pandora Key Success Factors. Did you guys really buy a Pandora to "Take the controls"? If you're selling a Joystick that will allow you to play across multiple platforms then yes...

I think you should play with the word "Box" - The fact that it does so much and it's a small form factor.

Just my 2cts.

'Take the controls' just sounds wierd. :wacko: The idea is good though.

'Take control' sounds better though it wouldn't have anything to do with the Pandora. Both of them are bad.

No particular correlation so far, it seems to just be an even split.

If the poll seems biased, it's probably because it seems to me that, in real usage, "liking" something is medium strength, while "disliking" or "not liking" seems a lot stronger.

That's the thing, though: that's not what that suggests to me. It suggests to me, specifically, operating a moving vehicle, ship, airplane, or something similar. (For example, "Jesus Christ, they're shooting us! Quick, you take the controls, Joe! I'm a better shot than you!")

I don't see how it focuses on the Open Pandora Key Success Factors

"take the controls" suggests that

• there are (physcal) controls
  • the user is given control of the device

As I wrote above, "take controls" describes the product more than the company

---

For those who don't like "take the controls", I really dislike "take control" because it brings ideas like dictatorship to my mind

Perhaps this thread should be more about thinking of another slogan...?

What are OP's Key Success Factors ?

Both "Take the controls" and "Take control" are nice, but they focus on only one aspect of the Pandora: its superior physical controls, and the fact that you can do with it what you want, no proprietary locked-down crap. These aspects are important, but the Pandora is much more than that. An ICP2 will also give you the controls, and something like a Raspberry Pi also gives you control.

So I suggest a new slogan.

Maybe something along the lines of "Small box, huge possibilities". Or "A big computer in a small box". Or "The laptop that fits in your pocket".

It's not a matter of "take the controls" vs. "take control". I don't like either of them. The first one suggests to me that I'm driving a car, and the second one is just incredibly vague.

With you there. the only reason I ever said "Take control", is that I would prefer it to "Take the controls", but I'd still prefer something completely different, or actually, none at all. We've made it thus far without one.

"Think inside the pocket" may be my favorite

This seems like I put my head inside the pocket (and that require a LOT of strength, and stretching abilities) everytime I need to think about something... :lol:

I propose something like "A digital universe in your pocket" but maybe nerdy and generic...

"Gaming universe in your pocket" (to attract gamers)

"Put your work inside the pocket"

"Get your games from the poket" just an idea of some combined phrases... it's difficult to think of a single phrase to describe all you can do...

EDIT: yes, I like "pocket" ... even if I never put the Pandora there... :rolleyes:

I propose something like "A digital universe in your pocket" but maybe nerdy and generic...

"Gaming universe in your pocket" (to attract gamers)

"Put your work inside the pocket"

"Get your games from the poket" just an idea of some combined phrases...
all too long

Why does every time I see this topic of choosing a slogan I always think of this.

Slurm - Ride the Walrus!

walrus.jpg

Back