Smoking

Mosch posted on Aug 15 2006 at 01:21 PM said:
I don't smoke and never will, but I want to get rid of one little thing: as far as I know second hand smoke is not proven to harm anyone. Sure it stinks and I would prefer people don't smoke around me but I have never seen any evidence about the dangers of second hand smoke.

That is all. Now please continue to stop smoking ;)

Second-hand smoke contains the same toxins that smokers inhale. So, on that basic conclusion, it is dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator:
ste_167 posted on Aug 15 2006 at 01:11 PM said:
I don't smoke and never will, but I want to get rid of one little thing: as far as I know second hand smoke is not proven to harm anyone. Sure it stinks and I would prefer people don't smoke around me but I have never seen any evidence about the dangers of second hand smoke.

That is all. Now please continue to stop smoking ;)

Second-hand smoke contains the same toxins that smokers inhale. So, on that basic conclusion, it is dangerous.

That is all fine and well and the conclusion that I too would reach, but I distincly remeber discussing this topic in english class some years ago and it seems that the difference in health between people who live with smokers and people who live with non-smokers is negligible. There was a study that people usually used to prove that second-hand smoke is dangerous that, on further analysis, suggests that this is not actually true. I'd have to find my old notes to give you a name though.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Aug 8 2006 at 03:59 AM said:
they card for spray paint cuz some kids are assholes and use it to vandalize things that arent theirs <_<

What can you do, it's our shitty society.
I blame society.

I'm 13 and smoked my first fagerett yestarday one of my mates. I had no intension of carrying on smoking but nextime my mates are smoking around me I'll think of you lott tryin to give up.

Recent US Government report:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6062700710.html

Then you should tell that to a certain Mr Roy Castle who died of lung cancer. He never smoked but used to play the trumpet at jazz clubs. It certainly killed him.

ste_167 posted on Aug 20 2006 at 09:37 AM said:
He must have been playing it wrong then
Ahhh that must have been it, I knew he shouldn't have played the trumpet with a bow.

How's the stopping going ste_167, still good I hope?
I'm 29 & have been smoking since I was 7-8 years old. Only manage to quit for 2 years at a time, but I still feel that I can offer advice in this topic..
ste_167 posted on Aug 7 2006 at 10:51 AM said:
At what point do the cravings stop!!? One week. Zero fags.
skysnapper posted on Aug 7 2006 at 10:58 AM said:
after two weeks they will have started to fade away.
LHC posted on Aug 7 2006 at 11:02 AM said:
The cravings should be at their worst after about 3-4 days I think, so you are doing well. By 2-3 weeks they should have almost completely gone.
This is bullsh*t!
It depends on how long you've smoked for & how many a day, it's also different for each person anyway.
I've stopped for 2 years twice & the cravings never left or got any easier to handle. Hence the main reason for starting up again.

To all those people who have never smoked & think it's easy to stop, there are over 4000 different chemicals in a cig & most of them are designed to keep you addicted.
I'm currently trying to stop again myself with the nicotine gum & even though I'm using 2 pieces of the highest nicotine gum at a time, it still doesn't take away the cravings :angry: .

Good luck to you & hang on in there :)

***EDIT***
The best way to help you stop smoking is to keep yourself busy.
Find something that you enjoy doing (that makes you feel good) & throw yourself into it completely.

How's the stopping going ste_167, still good I hope?

Yes, going ok. I still haven't touched one, despite wanting them on nights out. In a non-drinking environment I don't think of them often now, but I think if I had just one cig, I'd be back on them completely.

WarmFluffyUK posted on Aug 19 2006 at 07:05 PM said:
Then you should tell that to a certain Mr Roy Castle who died of lung cancer. He never smoked but used to play the trumpet at jazz clubs. It certainly killed him.
If by "certainly" you mean "possibly", then yes you are right. Roy Castle claimed it killed him, but since there is no control version of Roy Castle to compare his situation to, it's rather easy to say that.

Dzz posted on Aug 19 2006 at 05:36 PM said:

Recent US Government report:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6062700710.html

There is still no prove, they're throwing around numbers. Let me take this one as an example:

"It said, for instance, that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated last year that exposure to secondhand smoke kills more than 3,000 nonsmokers from lung cancer, approximately 46,000 from coronary heart disease, and as many as 430 newborns from sudden infant death syndrome."

How do they know (or dare to estimate) why those diseases started? There is no basis for this claim as long as nobody tells me how these numbers are won.

I just found the report and I might read it later, but as of now it's 24MB text. I need to divide that up into reasonable chunks ;)

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Aug 9 2006 at 03:31 AM said:
DSR: Cancer is caused by mutated cells that reproduce at an alarming pace. My aunt, who died of inflammatory carcinoma, was pretty healthy. She was quite unfortunate to get such a serioius and uncurable cancer.

You know, my mother always told me this story, and I think it's rather ironic.

When she was little, the whole family had a miniature pincher named chippy. Towards the end of the dogs life, it developed a variety of horrible things, including incontinence and senility (spelling?).

Seeing the shape of the animal she so dearly loved, she went behind the whole family's back and had the poor thing put to sleep. While her mother, father, and 2 brothers felt she did the right thing, her sister wanted to have her killed for what she had done. She claimed it was wrong to do that, and that the animal should have played out it's life without my mother interfering.

I can guarantee you that when my aunt had her breast inflammed to the size of the room, no hair from the useless chemo, and many other horrible, horrible things, she was wishing she herself could be put down.

So.....ummm.....wtf does "chippy" have to do with this topic???

do you feel that your aunt had those problems from smoking, or somebody else smoking, because you didn't say?

I am just sick of people claiming that smoking is the end all be all of ways to get cancer and die.

And another simple fact: Just because you "feel" ok doesn't mean you are ok. I can garantee my cholesterol is probably way above 250, but I feel fine, same way other people "feel" fine. So truly having good health, and feeling good are 2 different things.

Anyways, I will just state what I said before: Smoking isn't the only thing that can give you cancer!!!

Back