Release smplayer2 / mplayer2

Hi Pder, thanks for this application, its the only one that plays video's without issues.

However i found a bug in a feature that i find pretty important, the auto zoom function.

In order to scale the video perfectly to the borders of the screen, the user can press shift+W to increase the size, however doing so causes green borders around the video, when the video is is zoomed beyond 1.0.

Do you think its possible to make this feature work properly so that we can zoom beyond 1.0 without getting green borders?

I play the video's on an 1ghz unit.

Yeah, the zoom function is not implemented in the omapfb output driver, but I imagine you should be able to accomplish what you want by changing the aspect ratio during playback, or cropping the video or a combination of both.

Could you give more details on what you are trying to do? Are you trying to compensate for a video that appears stretched or squashed?

Hi Pder, thanks for this application, its the only one that plays video's without issues.

However i found a bug in a feature that i find pretty important, the auto zoom function.

In order to scale the video perfectly to the borders of the screen, the user can press shift+W to increase the size, however doing so causes green borders around the video, when the video is is zoomed beyond 1.0.

Do you think its possible to make this feature work properly so that we can zoom beyond 1.0 without getting green borders?

I play the video's on an 1ghz unit.

Yeah, the zoom function is not implemented in the omapfb output driver, but I imagine you should be able to accomplish what you want by changing the aspect ratio during playback, or cropping the video or a combination of both.

Could you give more details on what you are trying to do? Are you trying to compensate for a video that appears stretched or squashed?

Hi Pder,

What i am trying is to get the video to perfectly fit the screen, so that there are no black bars at the side or the bottom.

I watch anime on my pandora, which are mostly 4:3, when i choose aspect ratio 16:9 i have black bars on the bottom and top, and when i select 16:10 i have black bars at the side.

No matter what aspect ratio i select, i always have black borders, and i am one of those people thats more sensitive to black borders, then to aspect ratio, which is why i am trying to get the video to perfectly fit the screen.

So i am not trying to compensate for stretched or squashed looking video, i am actually trying to get rid of the borders.

Ofcourse the video looks a lot better in 16:9 and 16:10 then it looks in 4:3, but it doesnt fit perfectly, which is why i tried the zoom function.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Pder,

What i am trying is to get the video to perfectly fit the screen, so that there are no black bars at the side or the bottom.

I watch anime on my pandora, which are mostly 4:3, when i choose aspect ratio 16:9 i have black bars on the bottom and top, and when i select 16:10 i have black bars at the side.

No matter what aspect ratio i select, i always have black borders, and i am one of those people thats more sensitive to black borders, then to aspect ratio, which is why i am trying to get the video to perfectly fit the screen.

So i am not trying to compensate for stretched or squashed looking video, i am actually trying to get rid of the borders.

Ofcourse the video looks a lot better in 16:9 and 16:10 then it looks in 4:3, but it doesnt fit perfectly, which is why i tried the zoom function.

In this case, I think the aspect ratio you want is 5:3 which is not one of the options in the menu. A workaround would be to go into Options -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Options for MPlayer -> Options: and enter "-aspect 5:3"

Hi Pder,

In this case, I think the aspect ratio you want is 5:3 which is not one of the options in the menu. A workaround would be to go into Options -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Options for MPlayer -> Options: and enter "-aspect 5:3"

Tnx, i will try that :)

Feature Request: Overclock (In start-up script perhaps). My H264 videos need 700-800mhz to play smoothly.

Thanks!

Feature Request: Overclock (In start-up script perhaps). My H264 videos need 700-800mhz to play smoothly.

Thanks!

You can do this yourself with a .ovr file. If you don't feel like writing one yourself, just go into minimenu and set the clock speed on startup for smplayer2 which will write a .ovr file for you and it will work on both minimenu and xfce.

I noticed that your MPlayer2 version needs FFMpeg, but not the official MPlayer2.

Is there a reason to this ?

Also, do you plan an update soon ?

I'm a bit concerned because i think about shipping your version (with your authorization) into SL4P.

I noticed that your MPlayer2 version needs FFMpeg, but not the official MPlayer2.

Is there a reason to this ?

Also, do you plan an update soon ?

I'm a bit concerned because i think about shipping your version (with your authorization) into SL4P.

Not sure I understand your first question. mplayer2 is actually built with libav which was forked from FFmpeg.

I'll probably release another update soon. I recently had to fix up a few things with the build after some code got removed upstream and I need to test a bit.

You are of course welcome to include my version. Do you think you would be building from source?

Your readme include ffmpeg in the dependencies, not the official MP2 readme.

Yes, i build everything from source.

I did git clone git://github.com/pder/mplayer2.git

cd mplayer2/

cat README

general:

- libasound (ALSA audio output)

- various general X development libraries

- libfreetype

- libfontconfig

- libass

- FFmpeg libraries (libavutil libavcodec libavformat libswscale libpostproc)

I don't use a toolchain, i compile directly on the OP.

Ah! OK, I see what you mean. The README has since been updated upstream, I just havent pushed those commits to my github repository.

If you do:

Code:
git remote add upstream git://git.mplayer2.org/mplayer2.git

git fetch upstream

The README was updated in 083e6e3e1a9b

I recommend using the mplayer2-build repository for your build since it keeps mplayer2, libav and other libs aligned using submodules.

Well, is it possible that you write me down the exact procedure to download the sources plz ?

Also the export and ./configure options that you use.

Is smplayer automatically built ? I don't need it, i prefer to use as much slackbuilds.org as possible.

Well, is it possible that you write me down the exact procedure to download the sources plz ?

Also the export and ./configure options that you use.

Is smplayer automatically built ? I don't need it, i prefer to use as much slackbuilds.org as possible.

This is how I would download sources and build for pandora. I use Ivanovic's toolchain for this but building on the OP should be close to the same idea.

Code:
git clone git://github.com/pder/mplayer2-build.git

git submodule init

git submodule update

If you look at the changes I made to the mplayer2-build repo it is mainly additional libs that were out of date on the pandora firmware that you may or may not care about like libcdio, libdvdread, etc. All of the configure options for each component are in the files libav_options, mplayer_options, libdvdread_options, etc. I also added SMPlayer2 source as a submodule which is built with a separate script. You can ignore that.

Note that the only submodule I modified is the mplayer one which you cloned above.

The only environment variables I set are for the cross toolchain in setup_env.sh which you can also ignore.

Edit: The above is not completely true. Look also at my changes in the scripts directory- in some cases I had to add things like compiler flags there.

Yay ! It worked !

I went directly in the mplayer directory, and made a quick and dirty build.

Now i'll have to make a proper slackbuild of this.

Thanks.

--EDIT:

Do you plan to make an update soon ?

Hi,

Another update (0.0.6.1) has been uploaded to the repo.

Changes:

- Updated to SMPlayer2 release v0.8.0

- Built against latest development mplayer2, libav, and libass code.

- Fixed issue with libdvdcss library not loading

- Live555 support was dropped

Please see git for more details and a complete list of changes.

Back