Snes Emu On N900

goonaman

Still Fresh
There's a great looking SNES emu on the Nokia N900 that can be controlled using a Wii-mote
noknok.tv/2009/10/01/nokia-n900-runs-snes-games/

We should be able to have the exact same functionality on a Pandora SNES emulator and it could also be ported anyway but was just wondering if this was being worked on or able to use any other bluetooth controllers?

didnt know it could even do that... bluetooth controllers look fun. :)
most likely this will be moved to other consoles though.. as the n900 discussions are widespread over there.

XD, get the wiimote drivers released, then it would go behind the panda again in gaming solutions

Some one has already developed a driver for the wireless ps3 controller for pandora. The software will come after people start tinkering with things. Pandora can do everything that the n900 did in that video we just must wait for software.

Have they really? I'd tried a Windows version with a PS3 controller with no luck. It'd be great if I could use it on Pandora. Got a link to info?

I don't know about ps3, but Ubuntu has had wiimote support for awhile.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/libcwiid1

-Tj- said:
Have they really? I'd tried a Windows version with a PS3 controller with no luck. It'd be great if I could use it on Pandora. Got a link to info?
You can get a Windows PS3 controller driver here. The driver isn't signed though so it can be a bit of a pain in the ass to install and use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spectralist said:
You can get a Windows PS3 controller driver here. The driver isn't signed though so it can be a bit of a pain in the ass to install and use.
Unfortunately I no longer have a PS3 controller so I can't try that one now (sold it since I only bought it for possible Windows gaming duty). Thanks for the link though. :)

My post was actually referring to the PS3 controller on Pandora comment:

greendots said:
Some one has already developed a driver for the wireless ps3 controller for pandora.

I've seen a video where a PS2 controller was used, possibly through a USB converter box. Some people were confusing that one for a PS3 controller.

If we have the bluez stack and uinput, which I highly suspect we will, porting CWiiD should be a breeze.

Everything that runs on the N900 should be binary-compatible with the Pandora (maybe you'll need to copy one or two libraries from Maemo, but that should be all).

Etinin said:
Everything that runs on the N900 should be binary-compatible with the Pandora (maybe you'll need to copy one or two libraries from Maemo, but that should be all).

Would probably benefit from the controls being remapped. Some way to do this without modifying the binary would be really nice.

Etinin said:
Just because something can execute doesn't mean it "runs". There may be issues with screen settings, key bindings, simple library compatibilities, etc...

WizardStan said:
Etinin said:
Just because something can execute doesn't mean it "runs". There may be issues with screen settings, key bindings, simple library compatibilities, etc...

I'm just assuming he's talking about the Wiimote drivers, because it would be stupid to talk about all of this trouble to get a SNES emu to run on the Pandora when we already have a good one on the Pandora that just needs some more optimization.

-God Ginrai

I'm not sure if I should use binary/resolution compatibility as an argument toward me buying an N900 in addition to the Pandora I've already pre-ordered. I've already given into temptation and picked up an N810 which I love even more than I did when I loaned one 2 years ago. I've got an internal conflict with arguments both for and against the N900, and I've already got a MiFi and picked up a SIM-only data plan from Three so I don't need a device with its own data connection, even if it is more convenient.

I see the Pandora being a much better self-contained gaming platform than the N900 could ever hope to be, but I wouldn't mind having some titles that run on both so I can transfer my saves to an eminently more pocketable device if necessary.

That said, I carry a handbag (actually an NC10 case) crammed solid with gadgets these days, so one more makes little difference.

>> I'm just assuming he's talking about the Wiimote drivers, because it would be stupid to talk about all of this trouble to get a SNES emu to run on the Pandora >> when we already have a good one on the Pandora that just needs some more optimization.

Yeah, I was talking more about getting wii-mote or ps3 support in the existing Pandora SNES emulator but didn't word it quite right

WoD said:
I'm not sure if I should use binary/resolution compatibility as an argument toward me buying an N900 in addition to the Pandora I've already pre-ordered. I've already given into temptation and picked up an N810 which I love even more than I did when I loaned one 2 years ago. I've got an internal conflict with arguments both for and against the N900, and I've already got a MiFi and picked up a SIM-only data plan from Three so I don't need a device with its own data connection, even if it is more convenient.

I see the Pandora being a much better self-contained gaming platform than the N900 could ever hope to be, but I wouldn't mind having some titles that run on both so I can transfer my saves to an eminently more pocketable device if necessary.

That said, I carry a handbag (actually an NC10 case) crammed solid with gadgets these days, so one more makes little difference.

I've thought it over (about the N900) and I think I'd rather tether the Pandora to an iPhone than have an N900. Pandora will be more capable as a portable computer/gaming device and iphone is nicer to use as a phone/internet tablet than N900.

I was using a wiimote on my N95 all last year with picodrive and it played flawlessly... but think about it... why would you want to connect a controller to a portable device when pandora already has a nice built-in control scheme... the bluetooth will give you less playing time... right now im running all the classics on my samsung omnia i910(genesis, snes, neogeo,cps1&2,psx) with no lag and with a bluetooth controller... the only thing i hate is having to carry that another peripheral when im on the go.... eveything that pndora does right now can be done with a decent winmo smartphone... what makes pandora appealing is N64 emu and its progress...

TheRain said:
I've thought it over (about the N900) and I think I'd rather tether the Pandora to an iPhone than have an N900. Pandora will be more capable as a portable computer/gaming device and iphone is nicer to use as a phone/internet tablet than N900.

I'm still having the same conflict, but I pre-emptively gave my iPhone away to my better half, so it's either no phone, N900 or something else that isn't an iPhone. I'm currently using a Sonim XP3 as my primary phone.

The trouble I have is that I'm a thorough gadget addict, and thus got bored of the iPhone and began wanting something else. If I could have the iPhone AND a Nokia N900 I would.

The aforementioned MiFi means I can tether anything to it including my netbook or laptop, which makes it a hell of a lot more flexible. Unfortunately if I DO pick up an N900 there's no way I would be able to justify having two data plans. Although I'd happily use it SIM-free on WiFi and keep a PAYG phone handy for incoming calls- which I receive very infrequently.

Decisions decisions. All I can say with certainty is that the N900 is tempting, even though it will effectively fill the same niche as the Pandora or my N810.

Back