Snes Emulation

Nightflier

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I have a Blu+ and want to know what's the best way to emulate SNES games with full speed and good sound? i've tried OSnes9x blu+ and Snes9x 0.97f but I'm not satisfied with the results. What prog and preferences do you use to play Mario World for example?

I have a Blu+ and want to know what's the best way to emulate SNES games with full speed and good sound? i've tried OSnes9x blu+ and Snes9x 0.97f but I'm not satisfied with the results. What prog and preferences do you use to play Mario World for example?

I use Osnes9x v0.2, runs faster with sound, FS2-3, 166mhz. Not sure if their is a BLU+ version for this or not. Runs Zelda: Link to the Past just fine, and the sound isn't that bad. As far as the best way to run "SNES games with full speed and good sound?", not possible. The sound will always suck, and the only way you will approach full speed is to disable sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best you can work with IMO: is Osnes9xGP Blu+ without sound and at FS1 / 2 Games like Mario world should run OK, but the need for transparency might make it unplayable in places. RPG's are the only real winners for GP32 on Snes.

I use a BLU+ as well...prefer to play osnes9x v0.2, even with the annoying white line. I still find it much more enjoyable than the v0.3 + release for several reasons. :

1. I _ALWAYS_ play snes with sound, it is an absolute must for this system. The excellent sound is why I bought an snes in the first place! v0.2 renders more fps with sound enabled vs. v0.3

2. 11KHz sound under v0.3 sounds horrific, while this sampling rate is good enough in v0.2

3. In the v0.3 + version, game compatibility has been lost (i.e. mario kart displays a black screen as soon as the race begins).

4. " "v0.3+ " ", no zip file support anymore.....booooo! <_<

Obviously, I simply find v0.2 superior than v0.3, despite the assembler core of the latter.

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE COMPILE A BLU+ VERSION OF 0.2 WITH SUPPORT UP TO 200MHZ??? This would be excellent. :p

Nobody has really tackled SNES... yet. And the ports of SNES emu's are ports from more powerfull machines, and not that optimized. And the code is, as they say, spaghetti.

DrMD, however, was built from scratch, and is very well optimized. Also, it uses fast CPU core for Motorola 680000... I don't know if such a thing exist for SNES's main CPU.

osnes9x is HEAVY asm optimized, the cpu and spu core is fully asm afaik, it wont get much faster.
and osnes9x 0.1 is the best for me couse it haves the best sound :)
also crackeling isnt couse of crappy sound prozessing but a flaw of the gp32's µc that occours when you use the dma to much.
snes wont get much faster on gp32, the only thing where some speed is to get is at the sound mixing function, a asm version is allready in the Z version (thats the main reason why it is faster) but didnt make it to the gp32 couse of ram issues if iam right.

MD haves less custom chips afaik, also the asm cpu core is damn fast, at addition reesy's z80 core is hell fast, he is a semi god or something :)

Back