Snes On Gp2x

Higgins

Still Fresh
I was considering buying this like a year ago but since the SNES games were generally too slow to be playable, I didn't. How is it now?

Also, can music and games be played simultaneously?

Higgins said:
I was considering buying this like a year ago but since the SNES games were generally too slow to be playable, I didn't. How is it now?

Also, can music and games be played simultaneously?
1) Slightly better, but pretty much the same.

2) Kinda, but it would slow the games down even further.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you mean, too slow to be playable? I am playing star ocean and it works like a charm with little overclocking. All the other games I play run at 200mhz pretty much fullspeed. There is a little frameskip incorporated but that is not noticeable at all. Take a look at some youtube videos (recent ones, not the old ones) and judge for yourself.

Higgins said:
I've not found any issues with SNES games. They run fine, and if they don't I'm not clued in enough to notice...

Higgins said:
the SNES games were generally too slow to be playable
I don't know which game you tried, but one can reasonably say that they are generally fast enough, often fullspeed. Only some games (usually the ones with fancy effects) are too slow to be playable.

hal9000 said:
Higgins said:
the SNES games were generally too slow to be playable
I don't know which game you tried, but one can reasonably say that they are generally fast enough, often fullspeed. Only some games (usually the ones with fancy effects) are too slow to be playable.

Ah yes the very early emulators for SNES were slow, They are much much better now though.

Well the snes emulator doesnt work on my 2008 F200, at all. So speed isnt an issue.

3Designer said:
Or wait for Pandora to come out ^^
Or be able to play it NOW and not at some undetermined point in the future. Every snes game I've tried works fine, at or near full speed.

Chris

ak47hkk said:
Well the snes emulator doesnt work on my 2008 F200, at all. So speed isnt an issue.
It works perfectly on my F-200, with Firmware 4.0. I think mine is a late 2007 model, but hey.

I have a November 2007 F200 and Pocketsnes 643 runs beautifully. I never had an original SNES console, but I am very pleased with the results at around 240 mHz. Thanks Squidge, Reesy and all the other fantastic Devs - there aren't enough superlatives to describe what an excellent job you've done! :) So yep, SNES roms run brilliantly, at full speed, with awesome 44kHz Stereo sound....

The SNES has many very good games on it. I didn't give the SNES much credence until recently, I played various games on emulation, then sourced them on e-bay and car boot sales. I now have about 34 games and three SNES consoles (one will be hacked apart in my current project, or two if it fries). The games are mostly cheap, although they tend to cost a little more than N64 games, interestingly.

You are always better with game originals rather than emulation.

bacteria said:
You are always better with game originals rather than emulation.
I often seen phrases like this given as obvious truth that doesn't need further justification.

Please qualify this statement.

Exophase - sure, no problem - I have used emulators (and still do), often the sound quality goes eratic or doesn't sound right, sometimes games have some graphic glitches. In contrast, an original game working on its console runs at full speed and no unintended video glitches, as it was designed to run on original hardware rather than emulation. Emulation can't be 100% or it wouldn't be an emulator it would be a copy.

bacteria said:
Exophase - sure, no problem - I have used emulators (and still do), often the sound quality goes eratic or doesn't sound right, sometimes games have some graphic glitches. In contrast, an original game working on its console runs at full speed and no unintended video glitches, as it was designed to run on original hardware rather than emulation. Emulation can't be 100% or it wouldn't be an emulator it would be a copy.
You said that NO emulators can be as good as the "real thing." Yes, some have sound or graphics glitches, or incompatibilities or speed issues. But it's not a given that any game you emulate will necessarily have these problems. In fact, on a number of emulators, not only do these problems not exist in a majority of games but they can actually be improved upon the original - no blurry or artifact ridden screen, higher sample output rates with more sophisticated filtering, for handhelds a more responsive display, etc. This is not mentioning more deliberate enhancements and features.

Of course it can be 100%, trying to use the term against it really means nothing. Often times machines are made that are hardware compatible with others, but are really quite different internally, they're not the same thing at all. And yet you would consider them fine because they're not emulators, right? They're not a "copy" either.

I think some people are just biased against emulators because they find them to be impure.

Just a quick "for instance" 1080 Snowboarding on the N64.

The original game on my actual hardware N64 experiences slow-down when you go through the powdery snow. If you play the same part on Project64 or similar there is now slow-down since all the 3D is directly piped into your more advance Graphics card.

Likewise you can play 1080 on the Virtual Console on the Wii and find it doesn't slow-down through the powder.

Some of the Sonic games on the MegaDrive experienced slowdown on the actual hardware, As it gave the impression that the hardware could not keep-up with the action. I can`t say i`ve experienced this slowdown when running the same games through a decent emulator on a suitably spec`d machine.

Trooper

As one who actually grew up with the SNES via emulators (as given to me by my cousin on a set of three floppy disks when I was 6) and had never touched an actual SNES until I won one on Ebay about a year ago, I prefer the real system over the emulator.

You just can't beat the feeling of playing classics on the SNES controller while laying on a nice couch. And since the only controllers you can really get for the PC are lame DualShock rip-offs, you have to use that or the keyboard (I used the keyboard for years... took forever to adjust to the actual controller when I played)

I know that can be combatted using a computer with TV-out and a SNES to USB connector, but most people don't have those... and TV-out from my computer always looks really bad on my TV. Regardless, even if the gameplay experience is pretty much exactly the same, there is just a feeling around you while you're playing where it feels better on the real system. It can't really be described.

Also, I don't think clicking the mouse is a viable substitute for a real Super Scope, and there is absolutely no way to use a real one in an emulator. :p

Don't some emulators also get rid of the sprite per scanline limitation? The real hardware would have sprite flicker when too many sprites lined up per scanline causing parts to dissapear. I know there were some emus on the PC that got rid of this original hardware sprite rendering limitation.

Back