Release SNES9X4P hardware scaled

Does anyone else still have some tearing in Yoshi's Island? I have obviously disabled auto frameskipping and frameskipping altogether and I was still getting a tearing defect.

Also why does it tear with frameskipping enabled anyway, I can frameskip in other emulators without tearing so I just don't get it... Ideally I'd like to be tear free with auto skipping then I don't have to adjust clock speeds... although... per rom clocking would be cool!

please remove q as a quit button or write info on how to remove it ourselves. anything that uses the dpad gets my thumb knuckle to constantly hit the q button in fact paced games

Fact paced games? So, puzzle games? That seems odd. :p

In all honesty, the Pandora button instantly killing on press (when I wanted to push "Select") has bothered me much more than the Q button in the SNES emulator, though that could have to do with the fact that I've been playing Symphony of the Night for PSX a lot lately. In any case, buttons like these are a terrible idea. Do fix please!

Last edited by a moderator:
^ The Pandora button only insta-kills anything when pressed if you use Minimenu - I'm pretty sure that emulator coders can't do much, if anything, about that. ;)

@Ivanovic: Could you let SiENcE add me to his repository so I can commit the changed source?
I gave him a link to your post.

Please do not forget to also add your change in the changelog (that is part of README_Snes9x4P.txt) and possibly tell me what account you are using at the repo so that I can give you upload access there, too.

EDIT:

Talked to him and came to the conclusion that it makes sense to move the stuff to some more active and public place, so he will merge it into his github repo over the weekend which I will then clone as "master" for the project (to be listed in the README) since he is not interested in further working on this port. Once this is done we can collaborate more easily.

I've also seen some tearing in Yoshi's Island, thought it might simply need more overclocking as it does on earlier versions of this emulator? Looking forward to seeing these SDL update to UAE4ALL too, screen switching on the fly will be great for that too!! :)

(null)

Shweet! Fullscreen Street Fighter and Donkey Kong ftw :D

(I need to get some other top-games for the snes, it's been like 15 years since I played this console)

Please do not forget to also add your change in the changelog (that is part of README_Snes9x4P.txt) and possibly tell me what account you are using at the repo so that I can give you upload access there, too.
Thanks. Okay, I'll update the readme.

My account at the repo is also john4p.

Ivanovic said:
Talked to him and came to the conclusion that it makes sense to move the stuff to some more active and public place, so he will merge it into his github repo over the weekend which I will then clone as "master" for the project (to be listed in the README) since he is not interested in further working on this port. Once this is done we can collaborate more easily.
Great, but as I don't plan to add anything else to this emulator it'll then be all yours for further improvements.

Just going to add the sources for this one change.

Also why does it tear with frameskipping enabled anyway, I can frameskip in other emulators without tearing so I just don't get it... Ideally I'd like to be tear free with auto skipping then I don't have to adjust clock speeds... although... per rom clocking would be cool!
Ivanovic told me it doesn't do double buffering, and it's not fast enough to draw full frame over vblank, that's why it tears.

Thanks. Okay, I'll update the readme.

My account at the repo is also john4p.
Okay, added you as maintainer in the repo, just in case that you want to do stuff later on, too.

Ivanovic said:
Great, but as I don't plan to add anything else to this emulator it'll then be all yours for further improvements.

Just going to add the sources for this one change.
Then you could also just send me the svn diff (please with changelog entry) and I will add it as well as removing the 'q' button for directly exiting the emulator and put out another release.

Okay, added you as maintainer in the repo, just in case that you want to do stuff later on, too.
Thanks!

Ivanovic said:
Then you could also just send me the svn diff (please with changelog entry) and I will add it as well as removing the 'q' button for directly exiting the emulator and put out another release.
Thank you - I've attached the diff to this post.

edit: changed diff again (forgot the Readme_snes9x4p.txt).

snes9x4p_20111208.zip

Attachments

• snes9x4p_20111208.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 129
I built 'Q' in as quick-quit (to a lot of emus/ports actually) day zero, since it was handy when doing code chages and doing a millnio builds and test runs each day :) I still rather like haing Q in most of my apps do the exit, nice and quick :p But yeah, maybe should take it out, since the menu actually works :) ("Q" was in before the menu worked, of course)

"Start" for mmenu is system defined to kill current app, and thus let minimenu come back up; could probabyl tweak its operation in the config file .. /etc/pandora/conf/eventmap or the script that it runs (op_menu.sh I think it was), to change the duration; ie: rather than happen instant, require it to be held down say?

jeff

FWIW, what we'd all like is a pop-up overlay so you can decide what to do.. kill current app, etc; but thats rather painful to implement for a lot of very good reasons I won't elaborate here.. so its not that we're lazy, just not enough time to work on a big change like that :/

"Start" for mmenu is system defined to kill current app, and thus let minimenu come back up; could probabyl tweak its operation in the config file .. /etc/pandora/conf/eventmap or the script that it runs (op_menu.sh I think it was), to change the duration; ie: rather than happen instant, require it to be held down say?

Don't you mean the Pandora button? ;)

With the amount of sleep I get per night the last 2 months, nothign I say should be trusted* ;)

jeff

* Aren't you glad I work on the firmware? You will all catch fire!

Thanks guys for the update on the emulator, its awsome :D , great to see the games in full screen, Ive also noticed that after the update there is no longer slowdown with DKC 3 in the snow level, before I had to overclock to 700Mhz.

Of my favorite games only Yoshis Island isnt working perfect, I guess this is a tough one because of the special chip.

Greetings. :)

What issues have you found with Yoshi's Island? I've been playing it a bit with this version, and there's a slight issue with screen tearing, but I've not noticed too much more wrong than that so far...

What issues have you found with Yoshi's Island? I've been playing it a bit with this version, and there's a slight issue with screen tearing, but I've not noticed too much more wrong than that so far...

Yeah, some screen tearing specially in parts where the special chip does its effects, but If I overclock to 800Mhz then it seems fine, although I dont know if its safe for the cpu to be at that speed.

Back