Release SNES9X4P hardware scaled

It's fine for the CPU to be at that speed. :) If memory serves, under warranty they allow 1GHz at the OPP5 voltage setting. You're probably using 800MHz at OPP3, which is well within that.

It's fine for the CPU to be at that speed. :) If memory serves, under warranty they allow 1GHz at the OPP5 voltage setting. You're probably using 800MHz at OPP3, which is well within that.

Good to know that its safe, also N64 emulatos works at 800Mhz so I guess its fine, I just dont whant to push my new baby to much. :lol: :lol:

Greetings.

On previous versions of the emulator, one always had to overclock to at least 750mhz to get the game to run smoothly. I do think this version is definitely faster overall, but I guess Yoshi's Island still needs that extra push!!

(null)

On previous versions of the emulator, one always had to overclock to at least 750mhz to get the game to run smoothly. I do think this version is definitely faster overall, but I guess Yoshi's Island still needs that extra push!!

(null)

Yeah, developers keep making it better and better :) , I think the emulator is set at 500mhz and all the games I have tried work great exept Yoshis Island that needs overclocking.

¿Do you guys think its ease to add a soft filter with full speed in the supernintendo emulator?, there is already a soft filter but if you select it it the games run really slow, although other emulators like Neogeo have it and run great.

You can select a filter for hardware scaling in LCD settings, assuming this emu doesn't override it.

Thanks Notaz for the reply, sounds good but can you explain a little more in depth what this would do? Is it scaling the image to the LCD resolution? I think it would make the picture more sharp but it wouldnt soften the image.

Ok, just chequed and I see that there is a slightly blured filter, but I think it is the default setting of the Pandora,

Yesturday I changed the gamma of the Pandora LCD screen to CRT tv mode, and its really nice for playing amulators, the colors are a lot more precise and not so saturated (tipical of lcd screents) , its fantastic. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I have been busy today and done some stuff for this emulator. The most obvious change is that I switched over to github, applied the patch from john4p (all the changes in "1.39ff.20111208.1") and completely reworked the menu (feedback welcome!). Besides I did some smaller changes, as listed in the changelog. As always the latest version is available via the repo.

Changes in "1.39ff.20111213.1" compared to "1.39ff.20111208.1":

* Don't quit the emulator when pressing the 'q' button on the Keyboard. Quiting now works using 'Esc' (fn+q) or via the menu.

* Completely reworked the menu (feedback welcome!).

* Added an option to toggle vsync to the menu. Beware that turning off vsync will remove the frame limiter and many games will run significantly too fast.

* Some rendering code cleanups leading to tiny (negligible!) speed improvements for the HW scaled modes as well as HiRes games when using 2x2 no-AA and the rom requires a width of 512px.

* Update of the README to list credits and point to the new repo at github.

Changes in "1.39ff.20111208.1" compared to "1.39ff.20111207.1":

* Added the possibility to cut black borders in the GUI (useful for SF2- and Final Fight-series and Batman Returns).

* Values for cut borders automatically get stored and restored per game.

Thanks for all your hard work Ivanovic. Your making a great emu even better.

I'm not sure how good your programming skills are, but is there any chance you can work on some FX chip game compatibility?

Chris

did Ivanovic hire a mule? snes emu and wesnoth updates have been spitting out like watermelon seeds last couple weeks. thank you for changing quit button. highly appreciated. speaking of which, how come no frogatto updates in a while? it seems like thats the app thats maintained by you that likes to crash the most. great work on that too btw

did Ivanovic hire a mule? snes emu and wesnoth updates have been spitting out like watermelon seeds last couple weeks. thank you for changing quit button. highly appreciated. speaking of which, how come no frogatto updates in a while? it seems like thats the app thats maintained by you that likes to crash the most. great work on that too btw
Yes, it is the one that crashes most but those crashes most likely happen due to the display driver. There was a new frogatto release lately, but I had not much time to look into it (yeah, not yet announced on the frogatto website) though I had some issues when building (linking errors) during some free mins.

EDIT:

Okay, the linking error was just me not seeing the obvious, a makefile change was required and fixed those issues. I am currently uploading the latest frogatto release to the repo.

I'm not sure how good your programming skills are, but is there any chance you can work on some FX chip game compatibility?
I think that is an issue of using an old version of SNES9x
Correct. Ages ago SiENcE tried to port his sdl port over to a more recent version of Snes9x but it basically failed. That is the result on the pandora was just a black screen. No rendering happening at all. Some other reasons also speak against this upgrade like a reworked audio engine which is lovely for a powerfull desktop but too demanding for an embedded system like the caanoo or dingoo (the ports SiENcE was maintaining at that time) or even the pandora.

Thanks Ivanovic for your great work on the supernintendo emulator, its reallly apreciated. :)

¿Which screen setting do you prefer or think is the best for the SNES9X4P?, I have HW 4:3, but not sure if 2x2 no-AA is better although I get black border up and down when I use it.

¿Which screen setting do you prefer or think is the best for the SNES9X4P?, I have HW 4:3, but not sure if 2x2 no-AA is better although I get black border up and down when I use it.
It's a matter of taste really. I personally prefer 2x2 no-AA as it gives me a sharp picture (integer scaling), I don't care for the black bars. HW 4:3 however gives you the aspect ratio you were used from the TV (not the one internally used), on the other hand it is slightly blurry.

I don't think one or the other is significantly faster.

Ivanovic: Here is your reminder to look into what the "Reset Game" button does, maybe relocate it on the new layout and add a warning, thanks :)

It's a matter of taste really. I personally prefer 2x2 no-AA as it gives me a sharp picture (integer scaling), I don't care for the black bars. HW 4:3 however gives you the aspect ratio you were used from the TV (not the one internally used), on the other hand it is slightly blurry.

I don't think one or the other is significantly faster.

Thanks for the explanation, sometimes its hard to tell the diference exept for the aspect ratio, you are right that the 2x2 no-AA is a little sharper but I prefer the HW4:3 because it uses the whole screen (up and down) and the slight bluriness is almost like having some AA. :lol:

Back