snes9xgp news from gp32 news

yeah it sounds like since this is planed to be the last release of the emulator he is really trying to get it as close to perfect as he can. I don't know if that will mean that it will be at all playable with sound but if its close then I will be happy with it. Super mario brothers is playable enough now with no sound but if it were to be sped up a little bit more that would be great. If he could at least get it to the speed of snes emu with frame skip 3 and no sound I would be happy.

one thing which I think seems to upset emulator authors..
everyone always chiming in "release the source, release the source"

and those non-programmers among us truly don't realize what this means (aside from a couple of scripts, I am pretty much a non-programmer).. as has been mentioned before, open source can be a BITCH. maybe Intelecto is one sloppy-ass coder, meaning sure he can get the job done and release some great product but his code is just a little.. illegible you know? Of course I don't know this is a fact, just using him in an example really -- but that being the case, if such source is released than what good is it? just makes people madder as those who try to descramble the source start REALLY hounding him "clean up the code and document what you've done" and all that. Surely he'd rather spend such time actually optimizing the code (at the very least - if not doing something totally unrelated altogether!)

Again, I don't know if he's a "sloppy coder" or not - actually it is irrelevant. yes it would certainly be nice if he releases his code, keep working on his emulator, etc. etc. whatever the case, as long as there's still interest in it and enough talented, generous people with some spare time on their hands, hopefully we'll see more progress in the future..!

as has been mentioned before, open source can be a BITCH.

no.

and I'm a professional developper. so believe me.

btw, here is an extract of snes9x copyright (sort of limited to non-commercial
use, opensource license).
* The copyright holders request that bug fixes and improvements to the code
* should be forwarded to them so everyone can benefit from the modifications
* in future versions.

so yes, the sourcecode hasn't to be published if he doesn't want, but the general
orientation of snes9x dev is "make the source available to anyone who want
to help and improve the emu".

too bad so much people do not respect others work and just use it the way they want to...

One easy way to help improving the speed is adding an option for 156Mhz, since it is considered safe now days.

pip posted on Aug 7 2003 said:
One easy way to help improving the speed is adding an option for 156Mhz, since it is considered safe now days.
Not really, I´m not running anything at 156 for any longer periods of time before I´ve heard more about this. The oen craig uses might be able to handle more then the average one. We don´t know that.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I said, an option for 156Mhz. If you don't like it, just don't use that option :)

kraahl posted on Aug 7 2003 said:
Not really, I´m not running anything at 156 for any longer periods of time before I´ve heard more about this. The oen craig uses might be able to handle more then the average one. We don´t know that.
Exactly, we know that every GP32 is not the same.

Besides, we don't know the long term effects, it might last a couple of days at 156MHz no problem but it could just break six months down the line instead.

thebluenewt posted on Aug 7 2003 said:
kraahl posted on Aug 7 2003 said:
Exactly, we know that every GP32 is not the same.

Besides, we don't know the long term effects, it might last a couple of days at 156MHz no problem but it could just break six months down the line instead.
Wouldn't someones GP32 have broken due to the 166 version of SCUMM then? I have never heard anyone who has broken his GP32 due to overclocking, only thing I ever heard was a rumour that it may damage your screen.

In the overclocking experiment iirc, Craig said that he tried it with a few GP32`s at 166mhz and they all did with no problem.

As for long term overclocking, I don`t think that any damage would be done for aleast a good few years (My personal opinion). By then i think the GP32 would possibly have a successor to the throne, Maybe GP64 or what ever.

Trooper

Maybe put a limit in the emu that doesnt let you play at 166 for too long? But just because you can overclock doesnt mean that you still cant optimize code. Im lazy so i would just overclock, but im sure the author of snes9x for gp is better than that.

Mofokubik posted on Aug 7 2003 said:
Maybe put a limit in the emu that doesnt let you play at 166 for too long? But just because you can overclock doesnt mean that you still cant optimize code. Im lazy so i would just overclock, but im sure the author of snes9x for gp is better than that.
Naturally, one thing should not out-rule the other. Also, 166, 156 or 133 Mhz should be totally optional.

this is stupid. people started saying if you overclock for too long your gp32's screen would fry. craigx has been over clocking for two days straight and now some other idiots are saying WITHOUT TESTING that maybe you might wreck your gp32 by over clocking for over six months. give me cold hard evedence that you'l ruin your gp32 by over clocking.

(a pic of a smoldering gp32 will suffice)

WTF! For the longest time you people were saying how bad it is to overclock, now its the greatest thing that you could do to your gp32?! What the hell is with you hypocrites.

Mofokubik posted on Aug 7 2003 said:
WTF! For the longest time you people were saying how bad it is to overclock, now its the greatest thing that you could do to your gp32?! What the hell is with you hypocrites.
Have you read the experiment over at GP32emu yet. :blink:

Maybe you should. :)

Trooper

Phil posted on Aug 7 2003 said:
this is stupid. people started saying if you overclock for too long your gp32's screen would fry. craigx has been over clocking for two days straight and now some other idiots are saying WITHOUT TESTING that maybe you might wreck your gp32 by over clocking for over six months. give me cold hard evedence that you'l ruin your gp32 by over clocking.

(a pic of a smoldering gp32 will suffice)
Surely it's the other way round, it's a big risk overclocking for long time periods because we don't know if it's harmful.

What you're saying is like "I'm going to jump off this cliff because no one has done it before so it must be ok".

So, if your GP32 dies in a few months you'll be the idiot. Capiche?

Can anyone tell me why there is no speed between 133mhz & 156mhz, as I would be fairly happy to overclock to 146mhz (for example) as it is a smaller increase than straight to 156mhz

Indeed, i've played about and code setting to ANY speed seems to be accepted, but i'm not sure if its just going to the nearest speed or not (and of course it seems to be able to crash it on some emus, but i've never been able to crash the gp32 using MY speed setting code).

I might write a little program to test it for sure by having some kind of effect running and a slide bar for the cpu speed to see if it goes in jumps or 1mhz at a time.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

I e-mailed him about overclocking (told him that it is safe for most people and improves speed) and the gp32spain contest:

Whats the web address for the gp32spain contest?

And as far as overclocking, its fine... you'll see.

I think he already has full speed with sound on below frameskip 4.

Back