So, what's the current status of everything?

No way these tests would even work for plastics! Too much time, too complicated tests not to go into thermal-based deformation.
I was thinking that material/tribological parameters are accessible somewhere. Is the coating penetrating or not, is also characteristics of coating. Penetration of coating would most likely increase durability in terms of friction in this layer.

Nice update! If anyone is interested in working on the kernel or building an image themselves out of curiosity, check out the repositories in the imagebuild and kernel groups of the gitlab. A good starting point is to read the README and wiki of the docker repository, as this wraps the build environment.

It would be really helpful if people interested started using this and reporting to me any issues they come across so that I can make it easier to use.

There are also currently posted issues in the issue tracking of the kernel and uboot repositories. When you get your units, feel free to post issues to the backlog, or just start working on them yourself, or both!

So 2020 will be the Year of the Pyra, may be End January to Mid February for the first few hundred Pyrae ??
Its pretty close, and yes i will post some issues, if i find them whit my poor Linux Experience..
(Even this Long time as a Pandora Owner isnt that much, as the Pandora is pretty easy to use, its GUI is mostly Point and Click like Windows..)

Whe should make a Pyra Issues Threadth as far as the first Users get theyre Handhelds

But if whe estimate it t two months (tm), everytime, there is no chance for the device to come out..
I want it to come out, because my Pandora got some issues, some plastic fell out at the Batterie Compartment, the Display Backlight Controll Bug, and somethimes when i put a USB in, the Display Backlight Dims a bit (maybe the USB Port gets a bit in contact whit the LCD Cable..

I think i can hold my Pandora 1 or 2 Months, but then it should be put on the Shelf of obscure handhelds..

I'm predicting about those dates 'end-Jan to mid-Feb' for Grench to get his prototype, because it feels like it's getting a little tight for delivery to the states including LiPo batteries before Christmas to me, and we've not heard anything yet. ED's estimates have long been known to slip a little under load. If that's when Grench gets his unit, our units will of course be 2 months (TM) after that.

Reactions: rSl
I'm predicting about those dates 'end-Jan to mid-Feb' for Grench to get his prototype, because it feels like it's getting a little tight for delivery to the states including LiPo batteries before Christmas to me, and we've not heard anything yet. ED's estimates have long been known to slip a little under load. If that's when Grench gets his unit, our units will of course be 2 months (TM) after that.
I prepaid for fast shipping back when I did the order. In theory, it should be going via air transport rather than a slow boat. From ED's comments above it sounds like all eight prototype orders are in the US, so we might all get them within a day or two of each other when they do go out. That likely depends a bit on what shipping we chose and geography.

Where ED needed to make direct changes to components soldered onto the main boards for all eight of them, though, I can see where it is a time sink competing with his holiday business orders, family and whatnot. We will get them when we get them.

There are lots of Christmas ses between now and the time god thinks its a good time to start the Apocalyps
Ok, Release is when the first Pyra is in User Hands..

Or when ED can bear to step back (from parenthood) and allow his precious babies to be released in to the wild and develop their independence :p

I would have loved to get it this decade because I'm going on a trip very shortly after it ends. The Pyra seems great for long (and short) vacations.

I'm just upset that "this decade" estimate didn't come to be, unless the prototype pre-order units ship then I will count that...
I mean... I grew up in a cult that spreads fear in their members by constantly preaching that Armageddon is imminent - and apparently it has been for over 150 years - but right now it's more imminent than ever! The Pyra got nothing on this (except maybe we might actually get ours before the end of the century).

If i remember correctly, to get the Pyra until the end of our Century, EvilDragon still have 80 Years and ca 26 Days left until Year 2100
But i suppose most of use will then long gone, im 35, so i will be 115 Years old then.., and it could be there are lots of members in this Boards that are way older..

Good news for the Pyra in the current decade : it only starts in a bit more than one year ; just like the 21st century started on the 1st January 2001 (not 2000). Yey !
I mean, this is true if we use the strict usage as defined in the century article in Wikipedia, which is how I use it too... would you too ?

Back