[SOLVED] Help With Wifi

Unplug your router for 20 seconds then plug it back in.
Wait 2 minutes to make sure it's fully loaded up and try connecting with Pandora again.
If all else fails try disabling the encryption on the routers wifi.

@Tripmonkey_uk
I did what you said with my router when you posted before. Like I say it went to the google page when typing in http://209.85.227.147 but when i go into any other site it says 'Cannot resolve hostname' so it still wont work and turning my router off and on isn't fixing it?

puppydee said:
Unplug your router for 20 seconds then plug it back in.
Wait 2 minutes to make sure it's fully loaded up and try connecting with Pandora again.
If all else fails try disabling the encryption on the routers wifi.

I did what you said with my router when you posted before. Like I say it went to the google page when typing in http://209.85.227.147 but when i go into any other site it says 'Cannot resolve hostname' so it still wont work and turning my router off and on isn't fixing it?

thats a DNS problem

Last edited by a moderator:
Multiplex said:
puppydee said:
I got the Google page when typing your address :) but going to the board I got the error again :(
Great news! It's a software issue. :p
That tells me that your Pandora isn't getting DNS settings properly from the router.
The easiest thing to do is probably to copy the settings from another computer, but I'm not sure how to set this in Network Manager, as I haven't used it.

Hmm, a software issue. So it's not just me being a retard then. Not sure what to do now then?

puppydee said:
Hmm, a software issue. So it's not just me being a retard then. Not sure what to do now then?
You could change the DNS settings to use openDNS:
208.67.222.222 - 1st DNS number
208.67.220.220 - 2nd DNS number

Not too sure how to do it without a Pandora in front of me though. Which network manager do the Pandoras use?

Pandora uses the Network Manager as Network Manager - and should automatically receive the DNS via DHCP.
Is your router setup to send out DNS via DHCP?

Hm, so you never touched the router?
Well, unless Sky does something different, it should setup WiFi for you just fine.

Could you open up a terminal and type:
less /etc/resolv.conf

If you want to set the DNS manually but still use DHCP for the network address..

Right click on the network applet on taskbar/system tray.
Choose Enable Wireless to un-tick it.
Right click on the network applet on taskbar/system tray again.
Choose edit connections.
Click on the wireless tab in the network manager program that starts up.
Choose your connection and click edit.
Click on the IPv4 settings tab.
click on the method field and choose Automatic (DHCP) Address only.
Add 208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220 to the DNS Servers box.
Click apply.
Close the network manager.
Right click the network applet again and choose Enable wireless to give it a tick.
Start browsing.

Hope that helps :)

EvilDragon said:
Well, unless Sky does something different, it should setup WiFi for you just fine.

less /etc/resolv.conf
it says

# Generated by NetworkManager
domain home
search home
nameserver 192.168.0.1
/etc/resolv.conf (END)

It's a DNS problem. Basicaly your Pandora is connected to the internet but it doesn't know which DNS server to use.
A DNS server is basically a invesed dictionnary that matches URL to IP address.

Usually when you connect to your router it is configured automatically however that does not seem to be the case. There can be compatibility issue between some system and router.

A simple way to fix this is to specify the DNS server manally. Pandora uses "Network Manger" which takes care of all your internet connection needs. You should be able to specify a DNS certain to be used with a specific connection.

What you need to do:

1. Find out your DNS server IP (check your Internet Service provider webpage). Alternatively you can use a 3rd party DNS server such as OpenDNS (http://www.opendns.com - DNS Server: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.222.220.
I would recommend you to stick to your ISP dns server unless you have a problem with them.

2. Configure Network Manager. You need to right-click on the Network manager icon, then select "Edit Connection". From there you should be able to configure the DNS server for your connection.

Here is a tutorial on how to set it up. (It's for OpenDNS and Ubuntu but it's the same - just input the DNS server IP you want to use)

http://www.ubuntu-inside.me/2009/05/howto-use-opendns-on-ubuntu.html

Hope this help.

EDIT: As expected some other ppl beath me to it. ;)

Thanks for everyones help guys I do appreciate the help and apologise for my noobness :) I'll have a play and see if I can sort it with what you've said. Rome wasn't built in a day I suppose. This thing is awesome once I can get my head round it all. The screen dropping back all the time is a pain so I just have it flat now instead while I'm holding it. cheers again guys :)

puppydee said:
EvilDragon said:

less /etc/resolv.conf
it says

# Generated by NetworkManager
domain home
search home
nameserver 192.168.0.1
/etc/resolv.conf (END)

Hm, that means it uses your router as nameserver, which is fine with most routers.
Weird.

Well, best thing to try would be what marshal suggested.

Last edited:
puppydee said:
Thanks for everyones help guys I do appreciate the help and apologise for my noobness :) I'll have a play and see if I can sort it with what you've said. Rome wasn't built in a day I suppose. This thing is awesome once I can get my head round it all. The screen dropping back all the time is a pain so I just have it flat now instead while I'm holding it. cheers again guys :)

Screen dropping back all the time ??

I am wondering how bad it is and if it's the same for all the Pandora.
Craig said there should be enough resistance in the hinge. Strange.

lol, ok which buttons are the mouses buttons? thought it would be the left and right shoulder buttons but they do nothing :( I swear this thing is gonna be the death of me :)

I'm stuck on 2. Configure Network Manager. You need to right-click on the Network manager icon

I assume that the wifi icon on the task bar?

puppydee said:
lol, ok which buttons are the mouses buttons? thought it would be the left and right shoulder buttons but they do nothing :( I swear this thing is gonna be the death of me :)

I'm stuck on 2. Configure Network Manager. You need to right-click on the Network manager icon

I assume that the wifi icon on the task bar?

Yeah, the Wifi icon is the Network Manager.
Right-Click is either click-and-hold with the touchscreen or moving the right nub to the right (unless you have changed the default config).

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Pandora uses the Network Manager as Network Manager - and should automatically receive the DNS via DHCP.
Is your router setup to send out DNS via DHCP?

The icon in the taskbar is different though. I was worried you might be using connman. Are you using nm-applet then for the GUI too? I'd just like to know as I was planning on relying on this for 3G. Thanks.

This is begining to pee me off now. I did the dns thing and I even got it to load the openpandora website and google but it only opens the first page if I click on a link on the page to go somewhere else it either does nothing but these last few minutes just crashes saying "Midori seems to have crashed the last time it was opened and this dam screen is pissing me off no end, AHHHHHHHHHHHHH I don't know guys I can't figure this dam thing out ????

Your Internet router is assigning the Address 192.168.2.1 to your nameserver configuration. Whatever that machine is - perhaps its the router itself, perhaps its your Windows PC? - is being set up to do DNS server duties by your router. Your router *should* have an option somewhere to enter a DNS server address - if you don't enter one, probably its using the default route (.1) to serve DNS requests - but if you do have the option, enter the IP addresses for the OpenDNS servers into your *router* configuration, so that .. when your other machines (PC and Pandora) do a DHCP request to get a new IP address/DNS configuration, they get the DNS servers being run by OpenDNS.

In Windows, this problem isn't really obvious because if Windows times out on a DNS request, it will try to just use its own internal DNS server .. but on Pandora, unless there is a DNS server installed on the Pandora itself, this won't be the case ..

Now that's strange. I've heard Midori is a bit buggy but still...

I actually though "Aurora" (another web browser) was part of the included software. Maybe both are on the Pandora ?
I guess it's worth checking if it's installed.

I believe some other people were browsing the web so this seem a bit strange. Especially the fact it only open on webpage.

marshal said:
Now that's strange. I've heard Midori is a bit buggy but still...

I actually though "Aurora" (another web browser) was part of the included software. Maybe both are on the Pandora ?
I guess it's worth checking if it's installed.

I believe some other people were browsing the web so this seem a bit strange. Especially the fact it only open on webpage.

Midori is known to crash on the pandora, Aurora should also be on the image, look the network menu area.

Back