Wifi Goes Down Every Ten Minutes, Won't Return

daffy

My Wifi goes down after about ten minutes connected, and will only come back if I disable and enable wifi.

This thread describes the same problem, but the solution there (sudo ifconfig usb0 down) doesn't work for me.

I have Hotfix 3 beta 2 (I think it was) installed. Disappointed that doesn't fix this.

Last edited by a moderator:
ifconfig usb0 down was not related to the connection dropping. That was related to something else that was later fixed in hotfix 2.

Is it always the same interval that your wifi is going down after? Or different intervals. If it's different intervals then it's most likely just caused due to a poor wifi signal/poor connection. In that case there's little you can do other than disconnect and reconnect.

My signal was really bad prior applying the hotfix, I couldnt even load a webpage, it will connect for 20 seconds then stay a 100 bits/s and then after 10 minutes will increase to 10 kb/sec, after applying hotfix 3 it got faster(not as fast as my cellphone) but it is better.

Try ifconfig to see any drop packets, try a different wifi spot and see if it does the same.

i think my pandora has a similar problem the wifi works at boot but then stops and does not work any more the hotfix 2 seems to have helped a little but after a while it crashes and just keeps trying to re connect i just hope it is software and not hardware on mine or my router or a bad signal...

Pleng said:
Is it always the same interval that your wifi is going down after? Or different intervals. If it's different intervals then it's most likely just caused due to a poor wifi signal/poor connection. In that case there's little you can do other than disconnect and reconnect.
It's different intervals. I'm about 20' from the wifi router. The problem occurs with all routers I've tried, encrypted or not.

More: when it goes down, it can still see the wifi routers around me; it just won't connect to any of them. If they require a password, it asks for the password but then won't connect.

Possibly related: it sometimes either takes forever to fully wake from sleep (with power switch), or it doesn't wake at all. I get the screen display, but various things (desktop, task bar) keep redrawing themselves and it never responds to keyboard or screen taps. When this has happened, I've waited five minutes or so, and then given up and rebooted.

daffy said:
More: when it goes down, it can still see the wifi routers around me; it just won't connect to any of them. If they require a password, it asks for the password but then won't connect.

Possibly related: it sometimes either takes forever to fully wake from sleep (with power switch), or it doesn't wake at all. I get the screen display, but various things (desktop, task bar) keep redrawing themselves and it never responds to keyboard or screen taps. When this has happened, I've waited five minutes or so, and then given up and rebooted.

A summary of the problem: Bug in Network Manager. Not OS team's fault. Bug is known and Network Manager programmers won't/haven't fixed the problem.

Workaround until a fix is created, which will be soon from the OP team.

Open terminal and type:
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManager restart

Create a script that uses gksudo instead of sudo and place somewhere useful.
I can create a PND for this if needed.

Could also create a daemon script to run, checking the status of the Wifi every 5 seconds or so.

Something like:
Code:
while 'true'
  do
    CMD=`nm-tool | grep State | awk '{print $2}' | head -n 1`
    if [ $CMD != "connected" ]; then
           /etc/init.d/NetworkManager restart
    fi
    sleep 5
  done

Put that script somewhere it'll startup and whenever the crap happens, well, there you go.

Seems odd that all the serious hackers who use Linux would be putting up with such a bug in such a fundamental feature of a modern computer.

Not complaining, just asking: is there really no good alternative?

daffy said:
Seems odd that all the serious hackers who use Linux would be putting up with such a bug in such a fundamental feature of a modern computer.

Not complaining, just asking: is there really no good alternative?

wicd is a nice alternative, but the nice thing about Network manager is that the GUIs are much more user friendly.

-God Ginrai

A nice GUI is completely useless if it doesn't work.

Is there an easy way for me to switch to this alternative? Or is a fix for the NetworkManager thing imminent?

Thanks.

Back