[SOLVED] Help With Wifi

Will have a look in a min, going for a smoke to calm down a bit. I've found a solution to the screen dropping back all the time, just use a rolled up strip of bluetack and stick that in the hinge it works well and actually keeps it at the angle of a ds with dropping flat. Not really what I should need to do but if I can just get this dam wifi working I'd be happy with it :)

puppydee said:
Will have a look in a min, going for a smoke to calm down a bit. I've found a solution to the screen dropping back all the time, just use a rolled up strip of bluetack and stick that in the hinge it works well and actually keeps it at the angle of a ds with dropping flat. Not really what I should need to do but if I can just get this dam wifi working I'd be happy with it :)

are you trying to keep the screen at angle and expect it to stay? the hinge should only lock in the fully flat position (180 deg).

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, your're right pickle I was, I actually just checked my ds and it does the same :) Ok so I apologise I was wrong SORRY! :blink: Now if I could just figure this wifi out I'd be sorted. Even had a go of Gianas Return, it was great. I am sorry about getting a little ruffled, it's just I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure the wifi out.

EvilDragon said:
Right-Click is either click-and-hold with the touchscreen or moving the right nub to the right (unless you have changed the default config).
Imagine me flaming. Then observe if there will be packages with community done kb mappings. Then ignore.

I've just had a random thought, could you try pinging a website from the console (using the URL)? I'm wondering whether it could just be the browser messing around.
Could you also check what the DNS settings on your desktop are, to see whether the Pandora matches?

There aren't any other browsers available on the Pandora that you could try, to see whether they behave a bit better?

I'm still no closer to getting this working, I've done the things below word by word. I can get the odd first page after rebooting the pandora but not everytime and it'll never let me go to another page by clicking a link on the first webpage. So there must be something wrong here and it's not my router. My iphone, 2 laptops run fine on my network. I'm gonna take it to my friends in the morning and see if it'll run on his network and I'll whizz it into the local computer shop to see if he can figure it out, failing that I'm out of ideas.

It started as a great morning and I couldn't wait to get this believe me but it's just put a slight downer on the day that's all. I do realise that we're like the crash test dummies and that it's a bit unknown how these'll work but I thought the wifi would of been bob on after all the troubles with it but still I'm overall well pleased with this amazing machine, I just want my wifi to work. Great job tho guys and thanks for the help all people. Lets hope I can figure it out tomorrow. Even if I have to buy a dongle to get the thing to work I'll be mighty pleased and believe me you AINT getting it back, lol :)

Right click on the network applet on taskbar/system tray.
Choose Enable Wireless to un-tick it.
Right click on the network applet on taskbar/system tray again.
Choose edit connections.
Click on the wireless tab in the network manager program that starts up.
Choose your connection and click edit.
Click on the IPv4 settings tab.
click on the method field and choose Automatic (DHCP) Address only.
Add 208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220 to the DNS Servers box.
Click apply.
Close the network manager.
Right click the network applet again and choose Enable wireless to give it a tick.
Start browsing.

Javacat said:
I've just had a random thought, could you try pinging a website from the console (using the URL)? I'm wondering whether it could just be the browser messing around.
Could you also check what the DNS settings on your desktop are, to see whether the Pandora matches?

There aren't any other browsers available on the Pandora that you could try, to see whether they behave a bit better?

Thanks for the info, how do I ping a website? Imagine I know nothing because I don't really :)

First time I did it I got a load of writing with a few ip's. I closed terminal then restarted it and it came back with ping: unknown host www.gp32x.de

It's like I say it'll get one page then wont do it again. If I reboot my Pandora it'll probably do the same ie ping first but fail the second time.

After pinging it said
64 bytes from hephaistos.openpandora.org (85.214.117.239): icmp_seq=1 ttl= 55 time=87.4 ms

puppydee said:
Do you think maybe the firmware might be a little corrupt or something?

It really sounds like something is getting reset after the first time. Either by your router or by your Pandora. My bet would be on the router. Have you gone into the settings when you get the error on the second time and checked to make sure they were the same?

-God Ginrai

puppydee said:
Do you think maybe the firmware might be a little corrupt or something?
I've had that thought. To me it sounds like there's something up with the DNS lookupy thingy on your Pandora (although I really don't know much about how the linux networky stuff works :lol: ).

I guess it wouldn't harm it to reflash the firmware. There are instructions @ http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php...-and-password/page__view__findpost__p__858053. Something could have just got screwed up at some point on it (either during the first boot, initial flashing stage, etc).

I think it's unlikely that it is the Firmware.
It connects to the router, gets an IP and the DNS... and then it either doesn't doesn't names from your router or is somehow forgetting it...

Personally I would try going into the router settings and changing the dns servers on the router itself to the opendns ones.

in situation where you can not ping sites (when it says "unknown host www.gp32x.de") try pinging 85.214.117.239 ("ping 85.214.117.239"). If pinging is successful, then issue is realy with DNS, try this in terminal
Code:
echo "208.67.222.222" >> /etc/resolv.conf
and then ping www.gp32x.de
if you cant ping remote IP address, try pinging router: ping 192.168.0.1, if ping is successful, then it meens that local connection is ok, but for some reason traffic does not get to internet.
show output of "route -n" and "ifconfig"

It could be that the router is set up to only allow one connection, or its set up to only serve DNS requests to a specific MAC Address/IP. The fact that he can ping by IP address means that WLAN is working fine on the Pandora - the problem is that Name requests are not being handled back to the Pandora from the router. For sure, it seems like this is a problem with the router setup ..

puppydee, can you please describe your network setup a bit more? What sort of router is it? What sort of 'net connection? Is your other PC a Windows/Linux/Mac system? What DNS servers are your other machines able to use?

For sure it seems like the best thing to do is configure the router to use a different DNS server ..

The router should be fine, he's said that he's had multiple devices connecting through it before (ipod and laptops). From what I remember, the routers that Sky provide with their connections are just your basic cheapo router most ISP's supply, with no funny restrictions, settings or extras (VPN's, Firewalling, etc).
In addition, he's changed the DNS on his Pandora to the OpenDNS servers, which made no difference.

I would suspect the actual wireless connection of having some sort of packet loss, but he's said that he can browse by IP.

well i have a small victory. I´m actually adding this post with my pandora, yippeeee. I haven't figured out my router yet but it logs onto my friends network instantly so its my god dam router, so my pandora is fine. i'm gonna reset everything at home and try it again but i'm super happy now. Like i said before thanks for all the help from everyone :)

Cool :)

It sounded like a wierd issue betwwen the Pandora and you router from the start on. Hope you can figure something out for your router. Personnaly I would try bypassing DHCP and set a static IP (you can do this in Network Manager)

BTW How strong is the wifi signal ? (if you have any device to compare to...)

Back