Release Some Dsp Codecs Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a copy and paste link thats easier to follow for those who prefer it: felipec.wordpress.com/2009/03/26/omap3-public-dsp-binaries-now-work/

Last edited by a moderator:
So people with OMAP3 hardware (beagleboard) can already try D1 MPEG-4 decoding using less than 15% of CPU.

:eek:
Awesome.

I wonder what else we can do with this .. I mean, will we eventually be able to write our own DSP code?

'torpor' said:
I wonder what else we can do with this .. I mean, will we eventually be able to write our own DSP code?
Yes but it seem not soo easy because of the lack of informations

'Squidge' said:
Here's a copy and paste link thats easier to follow for those who prefer it: felipec.wordpress.com/2009/03/26/omap3-public-dsp-binaries-now-work/
Sorry about that, I got too used to this CODE
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47019
greasemonkey script.

'Awakening' said:
So, how far are we from 720p H264?
According to the ARM FFmpeg dev high bitrate 720p h.264 is extremely unlikely, no matter whether you use the DSP or not.

'torpor' said:

You can already, there is already libraries, example code, etc available. There's even a free book!

'Laurent' said:
'Awakening' said:
According to the ARM FFmpeg dev high bitrate 720p h.264 is extremely unlikely, no matter whether you use the DSP or not.

Wasn't there a demonstration on the beagle board showing 720p video?

Regards

André

'lulzfish' said:
'Peter R' said:
Why would you want to play 720p video on a 800*480 screen...
Because transcoding videos is hard, and people are lazy.

And for TV out I guess, but I'm with Peter_R on this one. No way I'd want to waste that space either. Is transcoding videos really hard, because it shouldn't be. And you can probably still usually get 480p videos from whereever you get 720p ones.

Is this dsp designed to be able to accelerate encoding as well? it would be pretty handy if it could do at least near RT encoding or better

cause chances are you don't have a video DSP in your computer and graphics card accelerated encoding isn't up to snuff yet

Transcoding 720p to 480p on my aging PC takes for ever. It's not always possible to get 480p versions of anime these days, some groups release all in 720p. You may also find yourself waiting 1-3 days longer for the SD version.

'cb88' said:
Is this dsp designed to be able to accelerate encoding as well? it would be pretty handy if it could do at least near RT encoding or better

cause chances are you don't have a video DSP in your computer and graphics card accelerated encoding isn't up to snuff yet
Since it's not going directly to video output, there's probably a way to program the DSP to do that. I suspect it's much more general-purpose than the SGX, more like a math co-processor.

Maybe eventually there would be a transcoder on the Pandora to do this sort of thing for you.

edit: the wikipedia article for the DSP is in this direction:
CODE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Instruments_TMS320#C6000_Series

Pandora has the C64 fixed-point version.

It sounds like DSPs are nearly as flexible as the main CPU, there's probably a way to use it for encoding.

'Laurent' said:
'Awakening' said:

Exactly how "unlikely"? What framerate of decoding is posssible with the DSP as aid?

'cb88' said:

The DSP can do whatever you want it to, but unless your computer is pretty old then I doubt it'll beat it at encoding. And I don't know what you meant by GPU encoding not being up to snuff yet, but if you meant performance-wise then the Pandora's DSP will definitely not be competitive with any recent video card performing encoding.

We saw 720p video from ED, but it was divx or possibly xvid.

There are always problems with re-encodeing videos , loss of quality, timeing inconsistancy, sudden incompatability, the time it takes to re-encode. The list goes on and on. I mean if you have go to the trouble to re-encode a vid, I'm sure any number of us already have 2 or 3 decvices that we could view that video on, so I think people are hoping that the pandora will be a viable media player rather than be obsolete before we get a chance to watch our first video. One of the best things about the Pandora is that it's as close to a laptop as anything is going to get without buying one so you arnt as hindered by a chip that is only programed to play 3 codecs and screw anything else that even slightly out of line with that.

I dont want or expect it to play 1080p video but I'm just hoping for it to be able to play that which is in the majority right now without having to go through the same annoyance that the all the PSP, DS, MP3 players out right now force you to go through just to watch and episode of something you downloaded the night before to watch onthe train to work (assuming you still have a job to go to...).

what I mean is ... every Linux user I have heard of that has a GPU that supports it (Nvidia specifically) says there are glitches in the transcoded video ... vs a video transcoded with ffmpeg etc..

I dunno about Windows...

since gallium3d is getting opencl ... GPU transcoding should improve on Linux over the summer IMO on ati stuff anyway maybe a bit on the higher end intel suff ie the 4500mhd

The DSP might not be able to compete with dual core and quad core CPUs but im speculating that it would be faster than a single core CPU that is cache straped ie a celeron aka a "celery processor"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back