Some Lfaq

chad78

Website
Visit site
This is a list of questions, basically for the people actually designing and building the thing, but anyone who knows the answer could chime in. TIA!
  1. Is there a name for the company / startup / group that is making the Pandora (since it's not GamePark or GamePark Holdings)?
  2. Will the Pandora's USB host port be able to use Game Controllers? (For, like multiplayers and when used as a console via Video Out)?
  3. What is the max resolution of the video out?
  4. is there a loop so I can attach a strap to this thing, (like on the PSP, GBA, etc. - so I won't drop it, or so I can attach it to my key chain)?
  5. Will you be selling a docking station for it? If not, can I make one and sell it?
  6. Is there a place on the main board to attach Feature-X (like BlueTooth, GPS, accellorometer, WiMax, 3G, whatever crazy feature we consumers feel we need - like the Hacked Eee PCs)?
  7. Will you please put Maemo on it??? Please? I'll buy you a cookie if you do!
  8. Do you think it kind of weird that this is like the 3rd generation of a device whose successor has never been made by the same company?
  9. Do you like cheese?
  10. What's the highest capacity SD card this puppy will support?
  11. What file systems can the USB hard drives be?
  12. The FAQ on Pandora Wiki suggests that someone believes DS emulation is possible. Is that true, or did the Wiki get my hopes up in vain?
  13. Can you add a solar panel?
  14. Can you add a lunar panel? (I'm more of a night person anyway.)
  15. Where's the 3rd and 4th shoulder button? (Or the black and white buttons, if your an Xbox fan like me)
  16. Why QWERTY, why not Dvorák or alphabetical or telephone pad? (It's not like we'll be touch typing on a small keyboard.)
  17. How do you do punctuation on that keyboard?
  18. What can I do to make sure I'm one of the 3100 chosen few?
  19. Why black?
  20. When will the forums get a : Pandora : emoticon? (Or "Smilies" as the forum software calls them)?
  21. Do you like answering questions?

chad78 said:
This is a list of questions, basically for the people actually designing and building the thing, but anyone who knows the answer could chime in. TIA!
  1. Is there a name for the company / startup / group that is making the Pandora (since it's not GamePark or GamePark Holdings)?
  2. Will the Pandora's USB host port be able to use Game Controllers? (For, like multiplayers and when used as a console via Video Out)?
  3. What is the max resolution of the video out?
  4. is there a loop so I can attach a strap to this thing, (like on the PSP, GBA, etc. - so I won't drop it, or so I can attach it to my key chain)?
  5. Will you be selling a docking station for it? If not, can I make one and sell it?
  6. Is there a place on the main board to attach Feature-X (like BlueTooth, GPS, accellorometer, WiMax, 3G, whatever crazy feature we consumers feel we need - like the Hacked Eee PCs)?
  7. Will you please put Maemo on it??? Please? I'll buy you a cookie if you do!
  8. Do you think it kind of weird that this is like the 3rd generation of a device whose successor has never been made by the same company?
  9. Do you like cheese?
  10. What's the highest capacity SD card this puppy will support?
  11. What file systems can the USB hard drives be?
  12. The FAQ on Pandora Wiki suggests that someone believes DS emulation is possible. Is that true, or did the Wiki get my hopes up in vain?
  13. Can you add a solar panel?
  14. Can you add a lunar panel? (I'm more of a night person anyway.)
  15. Where's the 3rd and 4th shoulder button? (Or the black and white buttons, if your an Xbox fan like me)
  16. Why QWERTY, why not Dvorák or alphabetical or telephone pad? (It's not like we'll be touch typing on a small keyboard.)
  17. How do you do punctuation on that keyboard?
  18. What can I do to make sure I'm one of the 3100 chosen few?
  19. Why black?
  20. When will the forums get a : Pandora : emoticon? (Or "Smilies" as the forum software calls them)?
  21. Do you like answering questions?

1. They won't say. It must be a super secret.
  2. Yes
  3. The best it will do is S-video, so aprox. 700×486 on an NTSC TV
  4. I don't know. People actually use those things?
  5. Maybe. It is currently up for discussion
  6. Sort of. There are solder points for serial and USB accessories. It's up to you to squeeze them in there.
  7. I'm sure somebody will try.
  8. It's not so much a "successor" as it is "inspired by". GPH may come out with an official successor to the GP2X yet.
  9. No, I love cheese.
  10. It will work with anything currently available. The SDHC standard allows for a theoretical maximum of 2TB. The hardware should be compatible up to that.
  11. Any file system that is supported by the OS. For Linux, that means just about anything (some limitations apply)
  12. The FAQ states nothing of the sort.
  13. No, but maybe you can.
  14. Absolutely. I'll get right on it.
  15. They're hiding.
  16. Because. Just because.
  17. All keys will have at least one alternate character assigned to (and printed on) them. You press a FN key and then the appropriate key to get your alternate character. Same as most qwerty cell phones.
  18. Check back often and pre-order as soon as the announcement is made.
  19. Why not? Are you some sort of racist?
  20. Good question. I'm sure they'll show up as soon as somebody makes a graphic and gives it to Hando.
  21. I can't get enough of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip said:
The FAQ states nothing of the sort.

Yeah huh --- From http://pandorawiki.org/FAQ#How_does_the_Pa..._to_the_GP2X.3F

How does the Pandora compare to the GP2X?

Very favorably. Rough estimates put the Pandora CPU at about 3x as powerful as the GP2X.[1] Here are a few additional ways in which the Pandora improves upon the GP2X:

* More RAM, internal storage, and removable storage options
* Possibility of emulating more advanced consoles (N64, NDS)
* Significantly better 3D hardware and software support
* Larger, higher resolution display
* 2-3x battery life[2] with included internal rechargeable battery
* Wifi
* QWERTY Keyboard and analog controls

chad78 said:
Chip said:
The FAQ states nothing of the sort.

Yeah huh --- From http://pandorawiki.org/FAQ#How_does_the_Pa..._to_the_GP2X.3F

Gah. I misread your original question as "DC". Here's the answer for the DS:

Definitely not in the near term. It is possible that there will eventually be a DS emulator for Pandora, but there are major obstacles to overcome. DS emulation is still in early development on x86 (PC), and the most advanced projects are highly optimized for that platform. Even in cases where the source is available, it would take a lot of work and optimization to get something running on Pandora. In other words, don't hold your breath.

Chip said:
I don't know. People actually use those things?
I do on my PSP. And I will on my GBM - as soon as I find it again....

It's not so much a "successor" as it is "inspired by". GPH may come out with an official successor to the GP2X yet.

If they do, I hope it makes it further than the XGP!

No, I love cheese.

Me too.

Why not? Are you some sort of racist?

Everyone's a little bit racist, it's true.

"Why QWERTY?"

I'd say because it is the most well known keyboard layout. Touch typing makes no difference on the layout of the keyboard. I'm sure Craig and Co don't want people having to get used to another layout just for the hell of it.
And telephone pad? Just let me go and throw up..

I also have a minor important Question for the FAQ:

-Does the Pandora Touchscreen have multitouch skills, like the I-Phone? I.E. zoom a picture with two fingers etc...

I read somewhere on the forums that it doesn't have this capability because of I think it was too expensive because of patent reasons or just plain too expensive.

But I could be wrong.

JakeK said:
I read somewhere on the forums that it doesn't have this capability because of I think it was too expensive because of patent reasons or just plain too expensive.

But I could be wrong.
Which capability?

chad78 said:
JakeK said:

But I could be wrong.
Which capability?

Multitouch. It's not even that useful, even the iPhone barely uses the feature.

It definitely does not have multitouch capability. I would be surprised if it had multilevel pressure sensitivity, but there has never been an official statement either way.

I'd be surprised if someone doesn't develop an app that takes advantage of the touchscreen's natural variable sensitivity. Nobody thought the DS could do that (least of all Nintendo), until Colours! came out.

D.

I hope to use Pandora as a digital sketchbook (among other things), so the pressure-sensitive touch screen will really come in handy :) So many possibilities thanks to such nice hardware!

Chip said:
It definitely does not have multitouch capability. I would be surprised if it had multilevel pressure sensitivity, but there has never been an official statement either way.
The N800's pressure sensitivity was discovered almost by accident. MaemoPad+ supported it and now people are looking left and right for drawing apps with pressure awareness :rolleyes: .

MaemoPad+ BTW makes for an excellent quick sketching app. IMHO drawing on the Pandora would be a tad more awkward because of the keyboard, especially if the touchscreen isn't "handpalm-insensitive".

i am not involved but these seem like simple enough questions.

as for the name of the company, it's probably no secret, it's just that in this case the device warrants the marketing/exposure rather than the company. craigix's company is called gbax, i believe. but i am guessing that the pandora was started as a new company, probably OP enterprises or something :D

as for soldering things to the board...i think the usb chip will be fairly advanced, maybe you won't need to do that. i think there's only two shoulder buttons. keep in mind that you have a whole keyboard to assign other buttons to.

3000 units are not going to sell out in a week. the distributors may not receive all 3000 at once, but either way, if you place your order early, i doubt there will be an issue. black...i think people talked about it on the boards, and most people here liked black better.

even regular usb will support most game controllers (rather than usb host) but yes it'd be pretty scandalous if you couldn't add a controller. they'll work. or most will, anyway. sd card capacity...assuming they're supporting sdhc, then whatever's out there.

dunno about the rest.

Back