Some (poor) Tv Out Photos (sorry)

vic20-ian

Website
Visit site
A few picture of the TV Out in action, The photos do not do the adaptor justice.

The picture is good, the blur is due to low light level, no shutter speed control and no tripod. A comment under each emu tested indicates how the TV out is working.

TV is a 6 year old Toshiba 28" Widescreen CRT, no colour adjustment was made, it was ok for me but washed out on photos.

In use the cable highlights a design flaw (imho) of the GP2x - The tvout port should have been where the SD card port is - rather than bend the cable around you to get to the TV it could have gone straight to the screen.

You have to be a little careful in use - you get some flicker or connection loss if the connector moves vertically e.g. if you tilt the GP2x while the cable is held still.

It is pretty good and usable to play games but not if (like my wife) you steer by moving your whole body along with the game pad ;)

I'd still give it 7/10 it does what I wanted which is to load up Vic20 and c64 stuff on the big screen - just need some fixes to the Rlyeh lib and other video code used that doesn't draw full screen. N.B. c64 (not shown) is the same as the Vic20 in Vice2x

Edit - it is the GBAX adaptor not the old one. If anyone want to see video up scaled to TV pm me and send an video clip and I will film or photograph it running.

menu.JPG

The Menu

gpengine.JPG

GP Engine - half width

gpengine2.JPG

GP Engine - half width

mess2x.JPG

Mess - Perfect

vice%20unscaled.JPG

Vice - unscaled mode squashed Vic20

vice%20scaled.JPG

Vice - scaled mode two and a bit Vic20's

vice%20scaled%202.JPG

Vice - scaled mode 2 Vic20's Myriad game (expanded vic screen mode)

squidgesnes.JPG

Squidgesnes - half width (uses Rlyeh Lib?)

duke2.JPG

Duke Nukem - Full screen

duke3.JPG

Duke Nukem - Full screen

These might not be the best pictures ever (even pretty close to the oposite) but it is great that you have given us an idea about the GP2X image on the TV.

The Mess code is based on Rlyeh's lib but seems to be modified compared to minimal lib as used in Vice2x.

Mess seems to have it working, so that might be a route to fix things.

Rlyeh - please take a look

The Mess code is based on Rlyeh's lib but seems to be modified compared to minimal lib as used in Vice2x.

Mess seems to have it working, so that might be a route to fix things.

Rlyeh - please take a look

i'd help if i had a tv cable to test my code with.
good Craig told me about sending me a tv cable for free. we'll have to wait for it though cos we did not make specific about the address nor the shipping costs

i think the problem is related to the pitch of the scanline, the odd/even framebuffers, and/or the interlace/progressive bit.

once fixed (dunno when) i'd like to improve my lib to handle TV output in other some cases aswell (like non-flipping framebuffers, larger framebuffers, etc... as some people has eagerly been requesting)

Last edited by a moderator:
Duke looks cool!

Resolution isn't bad at all.

This has to be the way to go IMHO.

Once the Devs get their hands on a few more I think this is going to be really quite good.

Cheers for the pics. :)

Back