Someone Kill Me Now

emil10001 said:
Personally, I would count 'shipped' as when the first final units to go to customers. Since that means that they have finished everything else and are just assembling and shipping. So, not the 105 burn-in units.
Although I may agree with that, It's what's called in the industry as a paper launch ;)
That's what the 105 will be. Although I would hope that after those 105 it will really be a short time before people start receiving theirs.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you ordered on the very first day that it was open for pre-order then by now you should have built up a kind of immunity to expectations. At this point I realize that it will be done when it's done. I neither believe nor disbelieve that it will be done this month or next month, it is somehow irrelevant now.

I feel that it will be done sometime in the future, that is good enough for me.

Na-Noo said:
Although I may agree with that, It's what's called in the industry as a paper launch ;)
That's what the 105 will be. Although I would hope that after those 105 it will really be a short time before people start receiving theirs.
Yeah, that's the difference between the real, and the really real shipping.
The real ones were supposed to ship last week, but the mould tweaks guaranteed that wasn't happening.
Assuming MWeston gets the sample cases this week and they are perfect, he'll probably ship out the first real Pandora this week. That gives one week for the 10'000 cases to be run and shipped with enough time for the first really real Pandora to be shipped before the end of the month. It could happen...

Last September : Last November
Last October : Christmas
January : March
June : July
July : September
September : October
November : Christmas

Now as WizardStan pointed out, sometimes these estimates are for different things. But these are the estimates I can easily find searching the forums. Not one of them is less than one month or more than three months. I don't see any problem rounding that off to "About two months". Really, the catch-phrase should be "About a month and a half", but that's even crueler.

(There was a period where he shut up and stopped making estimates, we all figured it was probably more than Two Months, but I can't find a post where he actually said so.)

VRAndy said:

Now as WizardStan pointed out, sometimes these estimates are for different things. But these are the estimates I can easily find searching the forums. Not one of them is less than one month or more than three months. I don't see any problem rounding that off to "About two months". Really, the catch-phrase should be "About a month and a half", but that's even crueler.

(There was a period where he shut up and stopped making estimates, we all figured it was probably more than Two Months, but I can't find a post where he actually said so.)

Took him awhile to realise he wasn't doing himself any good making estimates, no matter how genuine they may have been. Then people ask for a ballpark estimate, anything to give us an idea when things are due. hahaha
As it is, I think we can't ask for a more detailed estimate, as it seems to be out of their hands now anyway (moulds)

I'm wondering how much of these delays are due to the concurrent making of the iControlPad. I saw the other day (You know just after our molds were received and not quite right) that a completely new design appeared on the tech blogs, Pandora analogue nubs included. A complete redesign. While it makes sense to have the companies do the mouldings etc. for all of this at once, I think it's improper not to have mentioned that the Pandora is not the only thing they are working on that is causing delays. recently we were to get our Pandora's by June then the delay (the months leading up to obviously were held up by the redesign of the iControlPad so as the molds and cases/control pads could be done together)
While it makes sense, I find it interestingly misleading as are the ambiguous posts from the OP team that cause many threads discussing what they meant, by what they said, instead of a clear concise answer. I love this project. I have dreamed of this project for years. I have followed it enviously since the beginning finally realizing I may have the cash to get one I joined the boards and eventually, and happily sent the money. However, so much silence, so many things that just pop up out of nowhere (like silk screening with absolutely no idea when, where or how long it will delay. So many things have been said that seem to be later contradicted (lead time for parts for batch 2 is 6 weeks...now it's 7 months etc.)
I do not believe this is a scam, I also know these guys are trying their best to deliver a quality product and for that I can only give them the best of praise. However at the same time I feel they use my desire for cool technology against me in the whole "real soon", "almost done", " about to mass produce" to make me afraid to cancel my order as it might ship just after I cancel and I would hate myself for that. it's a good tactic actually, as so far it has worked. But looking at things as they are I have to finally admit to myself that if doesn't arrive before Christmas, I just may be done. I want this device as badly as the rest of you, but am having a hard time looking my wife in the eyes (who has been busting her butt to get us through these hard times) and saying " I hope it comes soon" while she sees things she cannot get because I spent the money on something that is in perpetual delay. It was a nice gesture on her part despite financial difficulties to replace all my gadgets I had to sell off during the years (Had a TurboExpress no dead pixels/TV tuner/95 Hucards had to sell them to cover her income tax error etc. and more recently my PSP nearly a year ago to the day) I just don't know how much more I could take. If there wasn't so much in the line of speculation, things not mentioned, and generally not knowing which year I would get this, then I would have no problem making a decision. I'm still in for the ride for now, but Christmas may be my cutoff zone if they are not actually in peoples hands by then. I hope I never have to make this decision. I guess I'm just getting disillusioned by the nondisclosure and uncertainty. If others of you have felt the same, please tell me how you are dealing with/justifying the decision to wait. It might help keep me from giving up!

(By nondisclosure I am referring to the fact that people have been asking about the Pandora cases (no real answer), about the Power supply (no real answer) case and power supply and TV cable will ship with or ship later etc..., the silk screening, the shipping, as well as the ever present "when does it ship" which by the sounds of it could very well be later than November. I mean come on now Craig, as much as I admire what you are doing and it's difficulty, take 5 minutes and type up a "this is our case plan, we are getting xxxxx adaptor, silk screening is done here and takes about ( ), US orders will ship from (US or UK) (it was mentioned US orders to ship from factory but that was not a certainty))

If armed with all the details everyone will make their own projections on how long it will take. Sorry for the rant, just stuff I have noticed going on since January that really needs addressed.

WizardStan said:
The current estimate isn't Christmas, it's November, ie sometimes in the next 3 weeks.

Iraqi%20Information%20Minister.jpg

Yes - the Pandora will be completed within the next 3 weeks.

Sorry not read all your post, but I will do, (I'm at work)
They said that other projects iControl, PandaCube, etc, whatever it maybe will be done in spare time, as in when their waiting on other Pandora things to happen before they can move on, sometimes things are blocked and there's nothing you can do but wait.
We've known about the iControl for a long time now.
Maybe BECAUSE of the delays in the Pandora, inspite of the iControl, the iControl is closer than it would've been in terms of release times.

Redesign of iControl has nothing to do with Pandora, it's just using some Pandora parts not the other way around.
Nubs, etc, has not changed.

When was lead time for parts ever 6 weeks, maybe I missed that. Eitherway they always stated their intention not to ship the 2nd batch prior to summer 2010. Which was to have a bit of a break.

When was lead time for parts ever 6 weeks, maybe I missed that. Eitherway they always stated their intention not to ship the 2nd batch prior to summer 2010. Which was to have a bit of a break.
"Always" is a strong word. They used to say that Batch #2 might go out as early as January '09.

VRAndy said:

Cliches are terrible - E.G. don't trust men with a single eyebrow (!) - but they come about for a reason. No one person made up "Two Months!" - it came out of the experience we've had with this project. I can understand it annoying some people - I suspect that a few who actually use the term are annoyed by it as well, and have been attempting to dull the sharpness with a little humour. They are no more to blame - and quite possibly less - for the "Two Months" phrase than OP are, IMHO. YMMV.

Poem58 said:
I guess I'm just getting disillusioned by the nondisclosure and uncertainty. If others of you have felt the same, please tell me how you are dealing with/justifying the decision to wait. It might help keep me from giving up!

I must admit that I have repeatedly thought of myself as "in it for the long run". But recently I am questioning that more and more. I have a feeling that Christmas may be my cut-off-point (and by Christmas I don't mean "an official launch but no customers receiving product" or even "units going out to customers but not me" I mean actually receiving MY unit, myself. So no, you're not alone - I'm royally fed up with this circus.

i think a lot of peoples cut off will be christmas. everyone needs money at christmas, and everyone wants presents too. if people cant have presents (pandora) then they'll surely find some use for some money. i've said it before, but i'd have less problem waiting if craigix and co stopped giving us mis-leading estimates and cryptic nuggets of information that can be construed a million different ways. bad form that is, thats what cuntish businessmen with expensive suits and 6 figure salaries do - id like to think craigix is a nice businessman.

No matter how long it takes them to release the Pandora, it's not like there will be any shortage of other devices for my to mess around with in the mean time.

I think my cut off will be Christmas of 2010. Because while I can still foresee 3 or 4 months of delays, there is no imaginable reason it would take more than a year from where we are now.

The electronics are done. The case is almost done. There's some production, assembly, and shipping and assorted logistics left. At most, I'd say 4 more months left to wait. Not 12. But I've done the low budget start-up thing and I want to believe in the open development model so I'll cut them 8 months of slack and wait until December 2010.

well, im on the other side, im almost to the waiting snap point

more due to the misterious and unexplained delays that keep apearing.
i really cant believe they had so many tweaks on the mould and it is still not ready, also the silk screen examples
it doesnt seems that they expected more days to do that.

i expect to withdraw my pre-order at the end of the year if no panda is sent, adn yes ive been waiting for less time than others, but
at this point, looking at the information and photos released, (the spare time used to design tht iphone controller using the panda nubs)
"the making of" the moulds etc., i really think the mould thing has something funny about it, since its been so long and so tested, but there seems that
they are still just starting to make the moulds.

i know is no trivial thing but we can also call the burn in tests that seems never ending, nor any response about it.

in conclusion, im tired of the confussing information, so after being delayed x months since the ETA, im done,
plus they seem just keep receiving pre.orders i would believe they have a lot less or a lot more of pre-orders expected.
hope that if it really finish, they dont have a oversales issues.

Na-Noo said:
Sorry not read all your post, but I will do, (I'm at work)
They said that other projects iControl, PandaCube, etc, whatever it maybe will be done in spare time, as in when their waiting on other Pandora things to happen before they can move on, sometimes things are blocked and there's nothing you can do but wait.
We've known about the iControl for a long time now.
Maybe BECAUSE of the delays in the Pandora, inspite of the iControl, the iControl is closer than it would've been in terms of release times.

Redesign of iControl has nothing to do with Pandora, it's just using some Pandora parts not the other way around.
Nubs, etc, has not changed.

the IControlPad never had Pandora Nubs until now. I've checked the site and the tech site (can't remember if it was engadget or not probably not) noted that as new too as well as having a battery now, my point was not that they were doing this instead of the Pandora, but that the Moulding and stuff was probably PART of the things that have caused delays. This and simple questions that remain unanswered. And yes, it was said a long time ago that the second batch would have a 6 week part lead in time, now that's 7 months. the point being info you do actually get is constantly subject to change. Oh and I never said the Pandoara used IContolPad parts, I didn't call them Pandora Analog nubs for nothing :lol: It's not to difficult to realize that the contract they have for part moulding would include both at the same time otherwise it would cost them even more I'm sure, so a delay to IContolPad would delay the Pandora and most likely did.

I just hope some of this info gets answered soon. and stays true to what is said. And nothing else goes wrong. I really do hope to hold one of these babies in my hand someday and pass it down to my son and his son etc. etc.

It's just I've started to realize that I too was rationalizing everything about this project and when I sat down and asked myself, there were too many things I just couldn't answer. Shouldn't be that way for something so close to completion and something I have followed so long.

Oh dear..

I wonder how long before the dust settles and there are only two groups remaining: those who are willing to wait forever without complaint and those who have jumped ship?

Exophase said:
Oh dear..

I wonder how long before the dust settles and there are only two groups remaining: those who are willing to wait forever without complaint and those who have jumped ship?

The boat is nice. It may be rough waters, but who seriously needs their money back this instant? You were willing to dump your 'extra cash' into something you knew wouldn't arrive soon, didn't you? Relax.

MrBlais said:
The boat is nice. It may be rough waters, but who seriously needs their money back this instant? You were willing to dump your 'extra cash' into something you knew wouldn't arrive soon, weren't you? Relax.

Who, me? No, I never even preordered a Pandora. I'm just a spectator. You don't need to tell me to relax either, since I'm just commenting and have no real personal investment in this. Although I was anticipating getting a unit to develop on at some point I don't even know if craigix would want to send me one now ;p

Exophase said:
Who, me? No, I never even preordered a Pandora. I'm just a spectator. You don't need to tell me to relax either, since I'm just commenting and have no real personal investment in this. Although I was anticipating getting a unit to develop on at some point I don't even know if craigix would want to send me one now ;p

Haha, no I was talking about the general consumer. But, Yeah, geez Exophase, Chill the fu*k out! ;)

I don't see why he wouldn't want you to develop; you seem to know a lot. Either way, it seems like the Pandora is on it's way now... Maybe. :ph34r:

EDIT: Wait, you didn't preorder?!

Back