Someone Kill Me Now

Nope, it just seems to be a possible reenactment of the general 'refundees'.

If these people are so mad and fed up by the project, why are they still here?

I don't know; I bought mine in March and with each day that passes, I get more excited, not impatient. The day it finally lays in my hands, I will be... I don't even have a word.

MrBlais said:

One of the reasons I'll not moan, I'll just get my refund, no point spoiling it for the rest as I think it will get released sooner or later.
And I've not reached that point yet, still happy and frustrated in a nice healthy balance

Last edited by a moderator:
Tensuke said:
The boards are finished, the software will be ready, all the rest of the hardware is done(besides maybe PSUs? Though I HIGHLY doubt these will be much of a problem). Right now they need to get the case finished. Of course estimates for case completion were due months ago, but it appears that they're actually just about ready. Even if they don't ship by Christmas, barring some huge problem, January is still quite realistic. Probably the most realistic date yet.

A point is, as far as we were aware, you could have typed exactly that a year ago - word for word - and yet the Pandoras didn't arrive.

Tensuke said:
HOWEVER, I do understand that if it had to go to January, then it's just another one of the delays, and who's to say it won't get pushed back again, and again, and again. Also, asking you why refund now when it's so close is also akin to when it was estimated to come out much earlier and people became restless.

Not a single reason, but at least a couple - increased appreciation that OpenPandora don't know what they're doing on at least some levels, and the steady drip-drip-drip of "it'll be here soon - promise!" is like water torture. Christmas is just a convenient date, a line to draw. My wife was AMAZED that I kept our order going past last Christmas, having had the delivery date slip and the pre-orders changed to cash only (no credit card protection for US!). To keep going this long was a huge sign of good faith and goodwill to OpenPandora. I have about run out of both.

PoisonedV said:
Tensuke said:
To everyone talking about refunding and wanting more information--just wait a bit!
insightful advice, i hadn't considered that in the past year since we all ordered it!

LOL!

Na-Noo said:
I've said many times that I personally feel pretty well informed, but like many I've put buying other gadgets on hold due to overlap in functionality for a year.

Some spot-on comments, and I don't feel tha tI want more information myself per se - I just want what I paid for.

El Jefe said:
PROTIP:
Ignore these forums. Clear pandorapress.net from your rss feed. Forget about the project.

I can't imagine any better advise. The forum's kindof addictive, and being off sick gives me plenty of time to check it at present (and, of course, who can resist replying?) but I'm taking it under consideration, myself.

MrBlais said:
It just makes me think...

1)You preorder the Pandora.

2)You wait.

3)You get sick of waiting and demand a refund.

4)You Aquire refund.

5)Pandora releases and now you want one again.

I see some counteractivity. Deny it all you want, but even if you get your refund, in the back of your mind you'll wish you didn't when it arrives.

It's a distinct possibility. However, it seems that the following is too:

1) You preorder the Pandora.

2) You wait.

3) The release date gets put back 2 MORE months.

4) GOTO 2)

:(

Why did Duke Nukem Forever take so long and STILL not make it to market?

MrBlais said:

I don't know; I bought mine in March and with each day that passes, I get more excited, not impatient. The day it finally lays in my hands, I will be... I don't even have a word.

Well, as far as I know this reenactment by me is the first time I've said "I'm thinking of asking for a refund" instead of "Hold on just a bit longer, it looks like THIS TIME it might really be here soon". I've changed my position from hopefully positive to despairing.

Why am I still here? For the same reason that I haven't cancelled yet. I feel more negative about the project monthly. At some stage - and I've elected this Christmas - I'll likely reach my tipping point.

I'm glad you ordered in March. We ordered what, October last year? End of September? How will you feel if, in 5 months time, OP are occasionally mentioning milestones that have been passed (or are currently being an obstacle) that you'd never seen mentioned as hurdles to be passed?

Oh, I do understand the wait. What I don't like seeing is people threatening to cancel that preordered a month ago. I do understand the timeframe and a year is pretty ludicrous; I don't know, maybe I just haven't lost faith yet...

Tensuke said:
To everyone talking about refunding and wanting more information--just wait a bit! New case mold samples are supposed to get to MWeston sometime this week or early next week.

So when "early next week" passes, and no samples arrive, can we stop waiting "a bit"?
Do you recall that only 7 weeks ago they were still hoping to get them before some "chineses holiday" at the start of October?
Do you recall that a mere week before the end of October craigix talked about shipping a token Pandora in October?

No one will get their Pandora before christmas, and anyone whoever believes they might are highly deluded.

Exophase said:
Going past Christmas could be a problem, if people are waiting on it as a Christmas gift, plus the whole bit of "2009 will be the year of Pandora." Hopefully no more than a few percent want refunds then, because I don't think it'd take an awful large percentage to spell massive problems for OP.

This is what I've been thinking all along. Craig's insistence on 'perfection' may could well be the downfall of the device (especially as a large percentage of 'perfection' is entirely opinianal, but that's another story/rant!)

Some months ago Craig said that Pandora could have been released in June and listed a few faults the device would have had if it had been. Of course that may well have been typical Craig b$, but, assuming his every word is true I feel aggravated that I haven't had a 'nearly perfect' Pandora in my hands for the last 6 months. Right now the team would be satisfying the second batch of orders (and there would have still been plenty of customers who would have been happy to buy despite it's minor niggles) and, more importantly turning over money which they could be using to make a more perfected mark2. Those who wanted the perfect device would pay out on additional amount of money, creating more income for OP, and probably sell their original unit thus increasing the user base by introducing new users who weren't really prepared to pay the full price.

There's a reason companies release imperfect products, and revisions, and it's not *all* bad.

Personally, I am only waiting because I *have* to if I want a Pandora. Unless a similar device comes out soon that's the way it's staying. The only concern I have is that of enough people asking for refunds to drive OP under. And me therefore losing my money due to OPs poor business strategies.

MrBlais said:
Oh, I do understand the wait. What I don't like seeing is people threatening to cancel that preordered a month ago. I do understand the timeframe and a year is pretty ludicrous; I don't know, maybe I just haven't lost faith yet...

Yeah - I've felt wry amusement at the people shouting "I HAVE been patient - for OVER A MONTH!" or "Well I was SO patient that I didn't even order it until last month! How patient is THAT?". I hope that you don't lose faith, and that your faith is rewarded :)

B-ZaR said:
Highly deluded? Count me in!

Delusion isn't all bad!

Pleng said:
Craig's insistence on 'perfection' may could well be the downfall of the device (especially as a large percentage of 'perfection' is entirely opinianal, but that's another story/rant!)

Some months ago Craig said that Pandora could have been released in June and listed a few faults the device would have had if it had been. Of course that may well have been typical Craig b$

I think I may have missed that post - any idea what thread it was in, or (even better) a linky?

I wonder if it's necessarily Craig that is insisting on perfection, rather than the team overall or one of the other chaps, but an even larger worry is that isn't "perfection" they are holding out for but basic "good enough" - that even now if they rushed it out lickedy-split it could have serious flaws - perhaps even flaws that make previous complaints about GPH (and other) consoles at domain look tame by comparison. Pushing for a quick release (or OpenPandora releasing quicker than they SHOULD) could bite us all in the bum, as this was always supposed to be "like a gaming handheld such as you've seen GPH and larger companies do, but this time done PROPERLY from people who actually UNDERSTAND what a handheld has to do, and be like". If the keyboard is too naff, or the case doesn't fit properly (the screen tends to fall shut/open rather than stay put, or it won't "stick" at anything but an awkward angle, or the case cracks open when you use the shoulder buttons or...) or the D-Pad cramps your hand up in 30 minutes of use or or or... there'd be hell to pay. Especially with the device being nearly a year late at this time (if it reaches us before Christmas it's pretty much a year late... a year of honing ought to have produced a machine with very little room for flaws IMHO).

When I ordered my Pandora back in March, I knew that the project was "in motion" and that I shouldn't be expecting anything for a few months. At the time that I ordered, I had set a drop date of 12/23. If the little bugger isn't sitting on my doorstep by then, I'll be canceling. However, with that said, I still have faith that it will arrive. :)

Sorry I have no idea where the post was, perhaps a more enlightened member can help out. There were things like a slightly loose hinge, and a d-pad that 'would make your thumbs sore after about an hour of use'. I can't imagine that more than a few people even tested the Dpad so it's now been reconfigured to suit those few.. hope it doesn't end up suiting their thumbs, while at the time giving 50% of other users sore thumbs!

But you're quite right. They've now put themselves on a pedestal. If it had been released in June with those 'faults' many people would have been willing to live with it. If I get a Pandora that hurts my hands, or has a hinge that's too stiff(or even worse, still too loose), then I'm gonna be mighty p*ssed off. They've got themselves into this mess where they *have* to produce a perfect product. And as opinions on what a perfect produce really is, they're bound to upset some people.

Fact is - I've waited this long, and I'll continue to wait. My motto through all of this has been, "One day closer to eventually". The Pandora is one of a kind. There is no other device with even whispers in darkened hallways that comes close to the Pandora, and even if there is - It would not be open. If I could buy a Micro-Nin-Sony-Play-Box Pandora-alike right now I still would not be able to use it the same way I could a Pandora. This isn't fanboyism, it's fact. I want The Pandora. In the back of your minds you know you probably wouldn't have plopped this much money down on such a longshot either if The Pandora wasn't what you wanted, either.

If some upstart miraculously materializes an open device with very similar specs. It still wouldn't be the same. It wouldn't be designed with the same goals in mind. Further, it wouldn't have proved itself against the same painstaking scrutiny of a community of peers as the Pandora. There won't be another Pandora anytime soon. If the OpenPandora Ltd fails, I seriously doubt you'll be seeing anyone else try anything like it in the foreseeable future.

I understand people, some of you don't want the Pandora for the same reasons I do. I even understand that concept of, "I must draw the line somewhere". I actually drew a line at Sept 29, 2009 in my head when I originally placed my order. My imaginary deadline come and is long gone. I decided at that time that I won't give up. I'm still here. I have faith that OpenPandora Ltd wants to see this project through, and certainly doesn't want everything to collapse due to a refund rush after Christmas. I will probably loose my money if that happens, because I will not ask for a refund. The only thing that can ultimately stop me from getting a Pandora now is you.

Whining, threatening, and shaking your fists in the air isn't going to make it get here any faster. It's not in their hands. The ball is in China's and Texas' court. I feel that everyone involved has done they best they could. The bank issue, the nub company flat-lining, all the axises of evil, and Murphys that aligned themselves against this project. I'm astonished we are still here. I'm honestly shocked that some of you would even consider walking away now. If we were mislead in any way by OpenPandora Ltd I feel it wasn't intentional, and even if it was intentional it was out of the fear that significant number of people would bail, and ruin everyone's good time.

You know that this device is about to roll off the line, it really is just a matter of time. Days, weeks, or months who cares - Really? That small wad of cash is not going to fill some void in your life. No gadget that you buy will fill that void, either. Just wait.

mindlord said:
Whining, threatening, and shaking your fists in the air isn't going to make it get here any faster. It's not in their hands. The ball is in China's and Texas' court. I feel that everyone involved has done they best they could. The bank issue, the nub company flat-lining, all the axises of evil, and Murphys that aligned themselves against this project. I'm astonished we are still here. I'm honestly shocked that some of you would even consider walking away now. If we were mislead in any way by OpenPandora Ltd I feel it wasn't intentional, and even if it was intentional it was out of the fear that significant number of people would bail, and ruin everyone's good time.

Sorry, who is doing that?
Gaming is secondary to me so there are already devices out there that could do what I want.
Fact is I want a Pandora though.
And you said it yourself you had a deadline, if for whatever reason you never stuck to it that's a personal choice. It also shows you to be exactly like the people who have been talking. I may not stick to the soft deadline I've implied at myself either.
Your only thinking interms of this being a games device, many people want it for other reasons.
I've seen very little "Whining, threatening, and shaking your fists in the air" in this thread, but those sorts of comments makes the discussion degrade in my eyes.

Tuxedomask29 said:
When I ordered my Pandora back in March, I knew that the project was "in motion" and that I shouldn't be expecting anything for a few months. At the time that I ordered, I had set a drop date of 12/23. If the little bugger isn't sitting on my doorstep by then, I'll be canceling. However, with that said, I still have faith that it will arrive. :)

I'm not sure if you're being facetious, but how do you buy something and have a "set drop date"? That just sounds like being an irresponsible consumer.

MrBlais said:
Tuxedomask29 said:

you waited this long what is the harm in waiting a little longer. if you cancel you lost your time. If you wait you get what you really want a pandora

XD, if it is so, then i would rather loose t vs infinite. as the worst probability.

i tryed to cycle my order, but it seems i would be paying a lot of money out of transaction fees.
im also no longer protected by google checkout insurance.

so lets say i still want my panda the same i wanted from the start, but right now the odds between refund, a panda or a full loss are quite agravating me.

also ive lost confidence on the OPT words

now that i remember, i had a plus that it had a UART i intended to use while in work so but the work ended so -1

Pleng said:
Sorry I have no idea where the post was, perhaps a more enlightened member can help out.

Or maybe just someone with a better memory, or more skilled at searching.

Now you remind me though, I remember the DPad hurting someone's thumbs after a while (my memory is vague on the topic) so it had to be lowered by what, about 1mm IIRC?

The longe they take the more perfect it has to be. The more perfect it has to be, the longer it will take...

:(

roberthoward45 said:
you waited this long what is the harm in waiting a little longer. if you cancel you lost your time. If you wait you get what you really want a pandora

This is the hope, and leaving the money with OpenPandora is an act of faith. But faith can be lost - or at least misrouted ;)

The harm? I could end up having had all the aggro, have more aggro, and then end up with neither my money back (to do with as I will) OR a Pandora that matches the promises, or possibly without any Pandora at all. There are no guarantees. I have heard "Two Months" in all but name for the last 13 months or so. I am no longer as trusting about this project as once I was.

OK, now i checked again, OP Team hasnt said a thing about the:

1) PSU, omg how many times its been said it is easy, but if they dont do it now, we will require 2 weeks(tm) for em. please say something about it now!
2) SilkScreening, i said it once and i say it again, what happened about it? are tehy going to be able to do it? is it already planned inside delay times? if so how long is it going to delay?.

as a lot of people has offered help to the OP Team, plus some are willing to even sign a ND form.
but whats going on with the chinese factory?, ive dealed with mould makers, cloth makers and even machine makers factory and never got such a delay over delay and so slow working.

and what are those misterious fixes they seem to be doing over and over again that even if they run a ND, the thing is theres something funny about the delays, always running in the dark and each time getting so close that i somehow already expecting the "my dog ate the moulds" delay.

in conclusion
im not looking for the details, but want to see a real advance in the proyect, plus the faith is running out like a broken sand clock so im starting to get bored of it.

MrBlais said:
Tuxedomask29 said:

I'm not sure if you're being facetious, but how do you buy something and have a "set drop date"? That just sounds like being an irresponsible consumer.

I don't understand what MrBlais is trying to say here.
A set drop date is this : "The seller tells me that the item will be ready in Two Months of I pay now. Those are acceptable terms to me. If the seller misses this target by more than five months, then the seller has failed to meet the terms of our agreement by such a wide margin that I no longer want to be part of this deal."

Or, more simply perhaps "The seller insists that this product will arrive in time to be a Christmas gift. In fact the seller insists that it will arrive with many months of lead-time before Christmas. Therefore I will purchase this item as a Christmas gift, but if the seller can't deliver it as a Christmas gift, I will expect my money to be refunded. "

Insisting on a Christmas delivery is a perfectly normal human thing to do. No American would pay full price for fireworks on July 5th. Or a jack-o-lantern on November 1st.

Well, those are seasonal. The Pandora is a device that's expected to have a high value for at least a few years, and it's not like anyone's going to say, "Nevermind, I'll come back and order a Pandora for next 4th of July."

It makes some kind of sense if people have limited patience and say, "I'm bored of this, I'm just going to buy an iPod, and I want my money back."
Of course, many of us have unlimited patience and have already budgeted around the Pandora, and we aren't going to give up while the Pandora seems so close.

Back