Sony BVM-1454D Monitor

ClockworkCoder

Chaotic Neutral
I'm slightly tempted by this monitor (albeit I have no idea where I might put it yet :), but have a few questions:
  • Can it be shipped to the UK?
  • Will it work with (a suitable plug adapter, for) UK mains (i.e. 240v)?
  • Will it work well with the MiST FPGA, for systems like C64, Amiga, BBC? (I have one monitor that work with the latter two, but all of my monitors are "out of range" for the C64 one)
  • Is it complicated? (I think it's related to broadcast quality hardware, so may differ slightly from standard consumer-grade hardware... at least I was led to believe)
  • Does it have speakers?
I did have somewhat of a search for reviews of this monitor, but only found a video of a much larger model, which apparently also required some additional controller box to go with it, so I think this model is somewhat different.

https://www.dragonbox.de/en/657-sony-bvm-1454d-monitor-monitors.html

Edit: Hmm... looks like it's no longer in stock - it was only recently there was a message about it being available, and for "certain areas of Europe"... so I guess the last question is whether it's likely to be back in stock at all in the near future?

The BBC in particular outputs video either via RF (composite over a broadcast frequency via coax cable) which this monitor doesn't claim to support, or TTL digital out via a specific DIN socket. There are probably BBC to SCART board designs out there, and the levels on the BNC connectors seem to be the same as SCART levels on first inspection, but you'd have to make that yourself especially due to the specificness of the BNC terminals.

Will there be any more of these? Also, it says due to high weight, only shipping to Europe, but what if the buyer offers to pay extra?

Well, ED could add a different shipping option to the shop that costs a lot, but allows items as heavy as this to be sent, but it's a bit of work for just one item. If this never comes back in stock it'll be used again, unless someone tries to buy one of everything ED stocks at once or something, it'll be time wasted.

I've wanted one for some time but I guess shiping from Germany to France will not be reasonable.
Still checking the local ads website.

Shipping prices on monitors and TVs suck. I still need to track down an amber monochrome monitor for my Apples, and I really need to start looking into something of decent quality for my consoles. For that I am still leaning toward a scanline generator so I can use modern displays. Wasn't there something that did scanlines and monochrome? That would save me if/when my monitor dies.

Since ED does video stuff he should be able to get hands on things most of us can't. He should write up a guide for people that still use old computers and video game consoles. I would even give him an Apple IIe to help out, if he could use it over there.

They show up on 2nd hand sites every now and then. I paid 25 euro for mine and use that now instead of my original Commodore 1701.
It's an awesome monitor!

BVMs for 25 EUR?
They usually go for 120 - 150 EUR on eBay.

Where have you gotten yours? :O

Marktplaats.nl in this case, a dutch local 2nd hand selling site (with lots of commercial dealers on it too nowadays)
The man I bought it from was selling the stuff his son left behind when he left the house.
My guess is he didn't know what he was selling and just happy to get rid of it.
I got lucky there but who doesn't dare doesn't win ;)

On the french leboncoin website you see them sometimes usually between 50 and 250e (the ads are still up, they don't sell at that price). There is no intelligent price for these I think. People just want to get rid of old bulky useless monitors that used to cost a lot and are not worth much today. How to chose price then ?

On some retrogamers forums, I saw them for sale around the 50-90e price. Although I could be consufing BVM and PVM, this was a few years ago.

I think it's a low offer and low demand market, not too clear what the right price is then.

I think it's a low offer and low demand market, not too clear what the right price is then.

I think it really depends on how it's marketed.

Often individuals will just want rid of what they perceive to be heavy, hard-to-get-rid-of, obsolete trash, but to others it's "the ultimate accessory for a retro gaming experience"

The offer on DragonBox seems close to the sweet spot for me, and is very reasonable, especially with the 1 year guarantee (although if/when I buy one, I think I'd most likely pass on attempting to send it back to Germany to be fixed).

The offer on DragonBox seems close to the sweet spot for me, and is very reasonable, especially with the 1 year guarantee (although if/when I buy one, I think I'd most likely pass on attempting to send it back to Germany to be fixed).
I agree it is a good offer and a good price, especially with the assurance that it was checked by someone competent.

The BBC in particular outputs video either via RF (composite over a broadcast frequency via coax cable) which this monitor doesn't claim to support, or TTL digital out via a specific DIN socket. There are probably BBC to SCART board designs out there, and the levels on the BNC connectors seem to be the same as SCART levels on first inspection, but you'd have to make that yourself especially due to the specificness of the BNC terminals.
Good point about the composite RF connection. I don't think it would be hard to get an adapter for my purposes though, at least for the MiST. I do still have my Acorn Electron, but don't have room to set it up any more, although it would be nice to think that I could try it some day... Hmm...

Sorry (not sorry) to revive this thread, but might these get back in stock ? How do you even come across them, do you have a supplier ?
I chose to miss out on those at the time, but at this price, I'm starting to regret it :mad:

Sorry (not sorry) to revive this thread, but might these get back in stock ? How do you even come across them, do you have a supplier ?
I chose to miss out on those at the time, but at this price, I'm starting to regret it :mad:

Yes, we'll get some more :)

As you might know, I work in the the TV business, and these are all coming from studios that fully switched to LCDs now.

Woot ! No chance on Christmas though ? I'm still preparing my wishlist and it would have been perfect along with a Mega EverDrive :p

EDIT : Oh and I did know about you working in AV, mainly with the Ingolstadt hockey team I believe ? And thanks for the quick reply !

Back