Sooo No Flash Support?

AKATSUKIComics

Still Fresh
First of all this is not some hate topic about what the Pandora doesn't have, since that would be stupid because the Pandora looks so awesome, and if there is already a topic about this I am so sorry I am new to this forum.

Well I was going to get a Wiz for Christmas but I heard the Pandora will be better and will most likely ship in November but the main reason I would want would be so that I could put my favorate flash games and flash movies on it to take them on the go, but I haven't seen anything saying it can do that, if so would it be able to play flash better than the Wiz?

Can't comment on the pandora, but don't get the wiz for flash as it's absolutely shocking.

The Nokia N900 has full flash 9.4 IIRC and should be largely binary-compatible with the Pandora; in addition, Adobe have said they'll soon be bringing full Flash to most ARM devices. The Pandora will probably have excellent flash support.

Oh wow I am terribly sorry I will read the FAQ next time, lol I feel kinda stupid xD. So there is a good chance then? If so I will definatly consider getting it, and yeah I heard all of the stories of how bad the Wiz flash player can be so the Pandora having flash support would be great for me. Oh and the FAQ also states that it will be most likely shipping in November (as mentioned in my first post I heard it somewhere but idk if it's true) so is that accurate?

Don't quote me, but at this point December is a lot more likely than November. Especially if you order now, since if there are any Pandoras left in the first batch they'll be shipped last.

AKATSUKIComics said:
Oh and the FAQ also states that it will be most likely shipping in November (as mentioned in my first post I heard it somewhere but idk if it's true) so is that accurate?

It should start shipping in November, however it seems most people will likely get theirs in December. If you were to order right now (if there are any left), I suppose it's possible you wouldn't get it until January. The second batch will probably be a few months later.

Last edited by a moderator:
typs lik dis said:
The Nokia N900 has full flash 9.4 IIRC and should be largely binary-compatible with the Pandora; in addition, Adobe have said they'll soon be bringing full Flash to most ARM devices. The Pandora will probably have excellent flash support.

It might work, but it depends on a huge chunk of Maemo libs. I don't know anyone who did an 'ldd' on it offhand, but it does require a metric shit-tonne of libs, which may or may not be a pita. But its certainly on several peoples radars to try :)

Note, you'd have to have an Nxxx device to copy it from onto your Panda, to avoid licensing nastyness.

jeff

I have a flash binary stolen from an N800. Does ldd on x86 work for arm binaries? If it does, I could try it.

Etinin said:
I have a flash binary stolen from an N800. Does ldd on x86 work for arm binaries? If it does, I could try it.
Probably not, but try it anyway. The worst that could happen is the RIAA breaks down your door, declares that binaries are a kind of music, and hauls you off to Siberia.

lulzfish said:
Etinin said:
Probably not, but try it anyway. The worst that could happen is the RIAA breaks down your door, declares that binaries are a kind of music, and hauls you off to Siberia.

Don't you mean the Music And Film Industry Association (or MAFIA for short?)

I can't think of an issue with the binaries being recycled though, unless there was some sort of crazy licensing, customizing, etc.

I swear I read an article that was linked through a site like /. where Adobe said they will support Flash on Linux Arm in the future. It said it will be a generic binary like Adobe has for Linux x86. I've searched and can't find it, but you know if a bunch of Linux Arm devices come out you know Adobe will want to have flash on there.

Even if I'm wrong it sounds like the FAQ has it figured out.

Jourdy288 said:
I can't think of an issue with the binaries being recycled though, unless there was some sort of crazy licensing, customizing, etc.
The only issue would be distribution - I haven't read it (has anyone? :p ) but the license on Flash probably prohibits redistribution by third parties without permission (this is probably why, when you download the flashplugin-nonfree package in Ubuntu, the package automatically downloads the Flash binary from Adobe's website and installs it for you). So you'd have to have a similar application for the Pandora that downloaded the N900 version from Nokia's repository, instead of distributing it in the file archive or wherever.

Now, I suppose we could still run into an issue if (as has been suggested, but I think it was in error) any kind of checking/encryption is done by Nokia to prove that your device is actually a N900, because then you may be violating the DMCA (circumventing a procedure that effectively controls access to a protected work, etc.). In any event, though, the DMCA doesn't apply in a lot of places, so you could probably distribute the application from one of those countries. ;)

second exodous said:
I swear I read an article that was linked through a site like /. where Adobe said they will support Flash on Linux Arm in the future. It said it will be a generic binary like Adobe has for Linux x86. I've searched and can't find it, but you know if a bunch of Linux Arm devices come out you know Adobe will want to have flash on there.

I'm not really optimistic about working Flash on the Pandora, considering how much trouble they went through to get a native x86_64 Linux version working, and how much the x86 version still sucks.

Alec  said:
I'm not really optimistic about working Flash on the Pandora, considering how much trouble they went through to get a native x86_64 Linux version working, and how much the x86 version still sucks.

It sucks? Thats news to me, I use ubuntu and watch video through flash just about every day and play flash games often. I remember a year or so ago you couldn't use full screen on youtube or it would crash but now thats even fixed. This Halloween I watched lots of movies through hulu in full screen. I remember it wasn't 100% on OSX either but Adobe stepped up their game and got it working, fixing OSX and Linux 100% at around the same time.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just talking about my recent experiences.

I've read only a little about this, but this press release looked interesting.

http://www.arm.com/news/26062.html
http://www.openscreenproject.org/

From what I quickly gathered, Adobe wants to standardize the use of Flash 10 across all mobile platforms and created the Open Screen Project to facilitate that goal. Part of the deal seems to be that Adobe will provide Flash 10 royalty-free to OEMs. The OMAP3 is specifically mentioned in a number of the related press releases.

Now, the question for us is, will we be entitled to the receipt of Flash 10 simply because a bunch of related companies are involved in this project -- like ARM, TI, etc.?

second exodous said:
Alec  said:

It sucks? Thats news to me, I use ubuntu and watch video through flash just about every day and play flash games often. I remember a year or so ago you couldn't use full screen on youtube or it would crash but now thats even fixed. This Halloween I watched lots of movies through hulu in full screen. I remember it wasn't 100% on OSX either but Adobe stepped up their game and got it working, fixing OSX and Linux 100% at around the same time.

Popular sites are generally fine, but it still crashes Firefox from time to time for some other sites.

Alec  said:
second exodous said:
Alec  said:

Popular sites are generally fine, but it still crashes Firefox from time to time for some other sites.

I'm just curious, I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm not 'calling you out', I just want to know of some sites that crash firefox in Linux, I haven't had firefox crash for some time. I thought flash was fixed across the board, worked everywhere, Adobe has made real strides to ensure compatibility, therefor securing their dominance.

Back