Sooo No Flash Support?

That's not the case that it works 100% across the board. Flash does work better in many more situations than say a year and a half ago. but any many cases flash will crash allot, even in my case with my rig, but as Flash gets more efficient, they will work across the board.

By across the board I meant flash works equally well in all OSs that it currently runs in. I just want to experiment with sites that give the flash port on Linux problems that don't happen in either Windows or OSX. I'm not saying that anyone is wrong but I want to test these sites for myself.

second exodous said:
By across the board I meant flash works equally well in all OSs that it currently runs in. I just want to experiment with sites that give the flash port on Linux problems that don't happen in either Windows or OSX. I'm not saying that anyone is wrong but I want to test these sites for myself.

Flash is the epitome of failure. My netbook (Aspire One) can play 720p H.264/AVC video flawlessly on a 1360x786 external monitor, but it can barely drag a SD YouTube grade flash video along. That and flash manages to crash Firefox on both my machines every now and again when I leave the page or close the tab that flash was loaded in. Usually this happens with YouTube.
The worst part is that Flash isn't even hardware accelerated lest you have shaders on your card, which sadly, few to no FOSS 3D drivers expose, and even that seemes ridiculously flaky when I last tried it with closed drivers.

That said, on OS X and Windows flash is much less fail

Last edited by a moderator:
For the last year I haven't had problems on any system that I have run Linux on, and that includes a Intel iMac. This includes low end intel graphic chips, low end on board ATI chips, and high end nVidia setups. I haven't had a problem with youtube in a long time, I've watched entire movies on it before.

Like I said, I'm not saying I'm right and others are wrong, I just want a site that will crash firefox for me because of Flash problems. A lot of people can say it has problems but they can't put a link up for me to test.

It sounds like your problems are current zhasha, although I have no problems with youtube, but is everyone else just remembering what Flash was like a year or so ago? I agree Flash on Linux did suck, but the suck is gone. Also, you need to think in terms of what distro and what hardware are you using. Flash works fine on both low end and high end for me, on Sabayon and Ubuntu.

All I can judge by is my personal experiences, so for me Flash on Linux is great, 100%, and it looks like there are pretty good odds we'll see it on the Pandora.

second exodous said:
Also, you need to think in terms of what distro and what hardware are you using. Flash works fine on both low end and high end for me, on Sabayon and Ubuntu.
For me it's so far sucked on Ubuntu, Fedora and ArchLinux. I've tried the following configurations, all equally horrible: AMD RV515 under fglrx and xf86-video-radeon/r300, and Intel GMA950 (GSE945) under xf86-video-intel/i915. Flash has crashed Firefox on me as late as yesterday night. It always happens when I close the video. The audio stops, then continues for a few seconds, then the browser dies. It doesn't happen every time though. Specifically I've been watching a lot of StarCraft videos from VioleTAK and flash has kindly died every 3rd or so video I opened and subsequently closed.
On a more positive note, it works incredibly on Rawhide using epiphany-webkit. I would attribute that to Adobe favoring Safari though.

I can't say exactly what hardware I've tried it on beyond right now my rig has an on board ATI HD 3300, whatever the last white iMacs had. I don't know what exactly people had that I helped install Ubuntu on, just some had high end gaming machines with nVida and one had a crappy intel graphics chip, but all worked fine on youtube and hulu, the sites I test with.

As far as audio I have to get rid of pulseaudio, on every distro I try, everyone is adopting it. Ubuntu 9.04 didn't work out of the box but I've been using 9.10 since the last RC and I haven't had any trouble with audio, I didn't need to change anything. I just don't have time to upkeep Gentoo even when I use Sabayon, but maybe you should try one of those, they are bullet-proof.

Flash just works great for me, I guess everyones mileage will vary, but it shouldn't if you're using official Adobe packages.

Edit: I'm play video on VioloTAK, linked above and not having any trouble. I don't speak Korean, but audio works.

lulzfish said:
Etinin said:
I have a flash binary stolen from an N800. Does ldd on x86 work for arm binaries? If it does, I could try it.
Probably not, but try it anyway. The worst that could happen is the RIAA breaks down your door, declares that binaries are a kind of music, and hauls you off to Siberia.

Y'all know that ldd is a BASH script right? It just invokes the ld-linux library stuff, I dont know if thats dependant on binary format (eg ELF) and whether that changes for ARM though.

For the love of..... someone give second exodous a link to a site (a couple even) that gives flash problems on linux. The poor lad/girl has been asking nicely long enough :D

I've only had one problem with flash. Occasionally the plugin just dies. The only way to get it back is to close Firefox and restart it.
I also don't use adblock or flashblock, so occasionally I'll open up a questionable website with a few dozen flash ads that runs my CPU to almost 100%, but I'm pretty sure that's a universal problem.

WizardStan said:
I've only had one problem with flash. Occasionally the plugin just dies. The only way to get it back is to close Firefox and restart it.
I also don't use adblock or flashblock, so occasionally I'll open up a questionable website with a few dozen flash ads that runs my CPU to almost 100%, but I'm pretty sure that's a universal problem.

I get this and fullscreen videos stuttering occasionally.

I have no clue what causes the plugin to die, but the full screen is a problem related to Intel CPUs iirc. I have encountered the thing where the audio continues after you close the window/tab, but it's rare and mostly seems to be related to the CPU usage jumping up to 100%.

Flash has never died for me, but then again, first time I've heard of it dying.
I use IE, and occasionally Chrome.

But I don't like flash either.

zhasha said:
That and flash manages to crash Firefox on both my machines every now and again when I leave the page or close the tab that flash was loaded in. Usually this happens with YouTube.
Just quoting this to say that this is (or rather, was) the only problem I ever had with Flash on Linux, but that it seems to have stopped happening at some point during the last six months or so, on my hardware. :p

Other than that, no issues for me.

Na-Noo said:
For the love of..... someone give second exodous a link to a site (a couple even) that gives flash problems on linux. The poor lad/girl has been asking nicely long enough :D
Thank you, um, I'm a guy btw, I guess I need to get an avatar that says that since my nick doesn't.
WizardStan said:

Maybe this is what people are experiencing, I use adblock and I'm sure it blocks 99% of flash just because 99% of the internet is flash based adds. That also makes me think that maybe the advertising people do something weird with the flash in the ads, maybe in the ads themselves or even forcing the flash ad to the top or something. I'll turn off adblock for a while and see what happens.

Grr, I hate ads. I hope adblock will work in Pandora so even if this is does crash firefox, sound, or whatever it won't happen on my Pandora.

ahhh, I feel like such a noob I don't know what anyone is talking about xD, so from what I read it's debatable if flash will work or not?

I think the important thing that everyone seems to be missing is that there were about 50 leftover Pandoras from the first batch a couple weeks ago. I would be surprised if they weren't all gone. Whether it can run flash or not is irrelevant if you wanted to get one by Christmas. The next batch probably won't be for some 6 or 7 months.
That being said, you could still ask, they might be holding onto a few, but if your decision rides on whether a specific application will work or not, I would choose to wait until it can be confirmed just how well it will work.
THAT being said, the Wiz doesn't have that great of a flash player either, so you may as well get a Pandora if you can afford it, even if the flash support is atrocious. (Disclaimer: I don't own a Wiz, my opinion of the flash player is based on 3rd and 4th hand information)

not sure if this is right or not, but I have this game that's made in Flash, but to run it, it's a windows .exe, if the pandora supports flash will this be playable? or are we just talking about Flash things embedded in websites through Firefox or something?

Paradox said:
not sure if this is right or not, but I have this game that's made in Flash, but to run it, it's a windows .exe, if the pandora supports flash will this be playable? or are we just talking about Flash things embedded in websites through Firefox or something?
I've downloaded the .swf files of a few flash games, I can play them directly in my browser, open it in Adobe Flash Player, or even embed it in a web page and have others play it.
That last option could get you sued...

Paradox said:
When you install it does it put a .swf file anywhere? Look in the directory that it installs in.

Paradox said:
No, the .exe is, IIRC, a standalone Flash Player with the swf embedded in it, sort of like the Python executables that are just a Python interpreter with the compiled Python bytecodes embedded in them. It might be posisble to rip the SWF out of the EXE and hold its bleeding heart in front of its eyes but I don't know any tools that can do that, since Flash .exes are a pretty weird format.

Back